The quest for perfect paddocks - using GrazeOn and PastorPro

RaYandFinn

Visit site
Hi All

I hope this is ok to post.

Six month ago, I started working for Anglian Water as their Media Manager. Recently I've was approached by our farming and catchment teams who were looking to do a piece of work to raise awareness among the horsey community about the use of Clopyralid - the herbicide found in GrazeOn and Pastor Pro. Great I said, I can help with that... and being horse mad, I scurried away to do some research and writing about the problem.

The problem...
The team have been finding higher levels of the chemical Clopyralid in our reservoirs, especially in areas where there is surrounding grazing for horses, yards and smallholdings. Our reservoirs provide the water which we treat before it ultimately finds it's way into our taps. Water companies like Anglian Water do the best they can to strip out these chemicals during the treatment process, but ultimately we don't want excess amounts in the environment and excessive treatment of water means high costs and water bills for us all. This was something I hadn't even considered before taking this job, so I thought it might be useful for other horsey people too.

There are few simple steps we can all take when we're getting our paddocks ready for spring this year. If you want to now more - I've written a blog post about the issue which contains all the tips you need to help protect our drinking water and the wider environment. You can find it here: http://blogs.anglianwater.co.uk/horse-herbicides-the-trouble-with-buttercups/

I hope you find it useful :)

Regan

cundlegreen

Visit site
Hi All

I hope this is ok to post.

Six month ago, I started working for Anglian Water as their Media Manager. Recently I've was approached by our farming and catchment teams who were looking to do a piece of work to raise awareness among the horsey community about the use of Clopyralid - the herbicide found in GrazeOn and Pastor Pro. Great I said, I can help with that... and being horse mad, I scurried away to do some research and writing about the problem.

The problem...
The team have been finding higher levels of the chemical Clopyralid in our reservoirs, especially in areas where there is surrounding grazing for horses, yards and smallholdings. Our reservoirs provide the water which we treat before it ultimately finds it's way into our taps. Water companies like Anglian Water do the best they can to strip out these chemicals during the treatment process, but ultimately we don't want excess amounts in the environment and excessive treatment of water means high costs and water bills for us all. This was something I hadn't even considered before taking this job, so I thought it might be useful for other horsey people too.

There are few simple steps we can all take when we're getting our paddocks ready for spring this year. If you want to now more - I've written a blog post about the issue which contains all the tips you need to help protect our drinking water and the wider environment. You can find it here: http://blogs.anglianwater.co.uk/horse-herbicides-the-trouble-with-buttercups/

I hope you find it useful :)

Regan

I take it you are talking about a different Grazeon than the chaff produced by Northern Crop driers?

Art Nouveau

Visit site
that's interesting information, thank you. I don't have my own land but am intending to as soon as I can find some to buy and I'm always looking for more information on how to manage land sustainably. I hadn't thought about the costs of treating water.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I take it you are talking about a different Grazeon than the chaff produced by Northern Crop driers?

There is a horse safe paddock weed spray called Grazeon. I must say i thought Grazeon fertillised the grass ? We use a nitrogen fertiliser on our hay paddocks and alternate years on the winter paddocks and we have used Pastor for our weed elimination too. We do take the measures you suggest and mark out the fields as to not overspray and use the right mix.

Thank you for posting it is something the smallholder needs to be aware of.

Last edited:

Cragrat

Visit site
Anyone using chemicals should be fully aware of their purpose and impact.

I have used both Graze-on and Pastor Pro- useful for docks, thistles, and to some extent buttercups.

I have always tried to use when no immediate rain is forecast, and I spot spray at the correct dilution - both measures save money and waste as well as reducing run-0ff.

popsdosh

Visit site
Anyone using chemicals should be fully aware of their purpose and impact.

I have used both Graze-on and Pastor Pro- useful for docks, thistles, and to some extent buttercups.

I have always tried to use when no immediate rain is forecast, and I spot spray at the correct dilution - both measures save money and waste as well as reducing run-0ff.

Neither product can be applied legally by anybody other than somebody with the relevant training and qualifications since last Dec . So they should not be misused anymore.

JillA

Visit site
The alternative I have used is Relay P or Pastor which contain mecaprop and dicambar which are very effective at controlling buttercups. Are those chemicals implicated in water contamination too?
And does anyone know a rotation or biological means of control? Without sprays my land is over run (neglect in the past) and full of the rhizomes which are not only a problem in themselves but also suppress the grass

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Neither product can be applied legally by anybody other than somebody with the relevant training and qualifications since last Dec . So they should not be misused anymore.
This is true. Some folk may think that the legislation is unnecessary, but I reckon it's a necessary step as too much weedkiller was being used willy nilly without adhering to the guidelines.

OP, you are referring to GrazonPro and PastorPro, both produced by Dow chemicals. I have used GrazonPro in the pre legislation past in a hand held sprayer.

http://uk.dowagro.com/products/grazon-pro/

http://uk.dowagro.com/products/pastorpro/