The realisation that you’re not going to have another horse, and have to sell all the stuff…

Abacus

Visit site
Gosh this is a heart pulling thread. Is there a way of making a really beloved saddle into something? Perhaps taking some of the leather and making into a necklace? Prob a stupid idea…

Or maybe if you could find someone kind to sell/give it to in return for the promise of pictures and updates on how it’s being used.I am a softy and if I bought something like this, I’d adore giving updates. I’m currently wondering whether someone once loved my beat up gfs saddle….

There is a company that makes saddles into handbags, I see them on Facebook sometimes asking for really old ones as donations. I expect they’d make one out of your own saddle if it wasn’t worth selling or you just didn’t want to.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm still riding my pony and he's only 8 so hopefully he's got years ahead of him. However I've had a bunch of mini strokes in recent years that seem to have thrown my confidence a lot so I'm not doing half the things with him I promised I would. He's a good lad though and no trouble but I know he'll probably be my last. I hope i keep healthy now and get going more because he deserves it.

Spotherisk

Visit site
It’s very sad for me mrs j. Horses had been in my life for over 60 years and you’ve just reminded me I’ve got a pair of Albion non stretch stirrup leathers which I only used for 6 months , I must find them and try and sell them with my Albion saddle

I have two, or maybe three, pairs of Mark Todd leathers and one pair of Passier, all non-stretch!

Spotherisk

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position! Old boy pts recently and other boy on permanent loan. My trusty lorry also died so it seems like that is it. Following 2 bad accidents and loss of husband I feel at my age that is it. 40 years of stuff mainly traditional hunting tack rather than fashionable stuff. I also do dog agility and now do more but it is not the same. Although have started to collect Equafleece s haha.I haven't tried to sell stuff yet but am sure I will soon then that will be that. So sad.

my agility dog has multiple rugs! ?

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Hopefully a left field thought that might help. Back in 2006 we had a catastrophic fire through our stables where no horses lost their lives but we lost everything else.

I had kept beautiful saddles and gear that was not being used. When we completed the insurance claim 75% of what we lost was not in use. It was gone forever. If only I’d given it away - someone else could have been enjoying it.

We created a new rule for tack, anything new that came in something that wasn’t being used had to go. The pleasure of giving away quality gear with the ponies when the children had grown out of them was better than anything I’ve experienced. Seeing the little girls face light up when I bought out all the beautiful show gear and telling her the background of where it came from was magic. Her mother couldn’t believe we were giving it away and kept asking if she could pay.

In a world of over consumption, there are those out there that might treasure your beautiful pieces as much as you do.

Esmae

Visit site
I went through my tack room last year and gave everything away to Bransby for them to sell for funds. All I kept was my best saddle and my old boy's bridle that I just can't part with yet. He has been gone a couple of years now so it will all have to go. I did become a bit unglued when all his rugs etc went. It seemed so final. 64 years of horses coming to an end. Once my last 2 go that will be finally it. I feel for you. It's horrid to have to come to terms with.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Hopefully a left field thought that might help. Back in 2006 we had a catastrophic fire through our stables where no horses lost their lives but we lost everything else.

I had kept beautiful saddles and gear that was not being used. When we completed the insurance claim 75% of what we lost was not in use. It was gone forever. If only I’d given it away - someone else could have been enjoying it.

We created a new rule for tack, anything new that came in something that wasn’t being used had to go. The pleasure of giving away quality gear with the ponies when the children had grown out of them was better than anything I’ve experienced. Seeing the little girls face light up when I bought out all the beautiful show gear and telling her the background of where it came from was magic. Her mother couldn’t believe we were giving it away and kept asking if she could pay.

In a world of over consumption, there are those out there that might treasure your beautiful pieces as much as you do.

I completely understand what you’re saying, but I doubt it. All the horsey people I know have had their horses for years, and most of my gear is older style.

asmp

Visit site
I have a stack of saddles in the garage which have to go because I'm never going to be in the position of having more than one ridden horse again. It feels very much like the end of an era.

Anyone need a WOW?
Going to get saddler out soon to measure up for a Wow saddle so may be in touch!

oldie48

Visit site
When I lost my lovely Mr B and bought Rose, I had to buy everything as none of his tack etc fitted. I sold most of it at a couple of tack sales but I was willing to sell at way below what they were worth and tbh most things got snapped up. I'm now having to do the same with Rose's stuff as I'm not going to own a horse again. It's a dispiriting process but I've tried to sell to friends so at least I know who has got a real bargain. Mr D and his owner have been given anything they thought might be useful. Although I'm still riding I have started a new hobby, art, and go to a couple of classes each week as I feel everything else I do is pretty physical and if I am honest, I do have less energy and strength these days. I cried when I sold my little lorry, it just brought home to me that it was the end of an era!

YoLaTango

Visit site

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️ This! I think if I had received tack that someone else loved and had a positive life with, it would have meant so much to me. I like to think of myself as rational, but I believe in good ju ju! Same with buying a house - it means something that the previous owner was happy and loved the house.

YoLaTango

Visit site
Is there a place on this site where we can buy from each other? I don’t NEED anything, but….. And then I can inundate the previous owner of my new (to me) bit/numnah with pictures and stories of myself and the blue eyed boy doing our thing!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Both of my saddles are on my saddle horse in the bedroom,
Mine too but they are not the sort of saddles wanted today so will stay there. One is just a half panel pony saddle that I used on my Section C and nearly everyone else too. The other is an old GP saddle I bought off a friend. She bought it second-hand at Melton Mowbray market over 30yrs ago and it was old then. I still have the bridles I used for in-hand showing too but again they will stay as they don't take up much space.

Haniki

Visit site
I’m another who is finding it quite hard to let the last of my equestrian things go. When my last old horse went, I gave lots of ’stuff’ to a friend who runs a horse rescue. We still had ponies for the grandchildren, but unfortunately those too have now gone and I have their things to clear out. I am due to retire this year and have sadly come to the conclusion that I won’t be able to afford horses/ponies then. We do have land/stables at home so maybe I could have a couple of rescue donkeys instead.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
She bought it second-hand at Melton Mowbray market over 30yrs ago and it was old then.

Ooooh - I bought one of my best ever horses there about 30 years ago EP, very strongly advised against it by my brother but he was proved very wrong long term I am happy to say. Even brought the horse to Ireland with me and he eventually lived out his days here in the meadow living his best life. Small world.?

We do have land/stables at home so maybe I could have a couple of rescue donkeys instead.

Thoroughly recommend them Haniki, I did have four shuffling around the place, sadly I am now down to just two - but I adore donkeys, such characters and I find spending time with them very relaxing and mentally soothing when I am feeling a bit low and anxious. I like to think even when the two old chaps have gone, if I am still around, I will always have a couple of them out in the house paddocks keeping me smiling.

Cloball

Visit site
I've just bought some lovely stirrups from a lady who'd recently lost her horse; ended up having a lovely chat, fascinating lady.
I'm starting from scratch trying to pick up things second hand, I can imagine ending up with more saddles than ponies though.

oldie48

Visit site
My lovely saddler, whom I have used for years took Mr B's saddle back and gave me another similar one that fitted Rose. It was second hand as he said I'd need to change it when she'd put on muscle. He exchanged that for a new one and I paid the difference, so I effectively had use of it foc for 6 months. Bless him, he took the new one back and gave me a very decent amount, pretty much what I had paid, when Rose was PTS. tbh I think he could see how upset I was!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Is there a place on this site where we can buy from each other? I don’t NEED anything, but….. And then I can inundate the previous owner of my new (to me) bit/numnah with pictures and stories of myself and the blue eyed boy doing our thing!

We can list tack for sale on the regional boards

Reactions: D66

Illtellyoulater

Visit site

We bought an 11 2 pony that came with all its gear, but also about six wonderful fancy dress costumes, which have now done the rounds at our local shows, and then off to the cousins in a different county! All beautiful made by the original mother. The car was full to the brim with gear for the tiny pony in the trailer.

Spotherisk

Visit site
We bought an 11 2 pony that came with all its gear, but also about six wonderful fancy dress costumes, which have now done the rounds at our local shows, and then off to the cousins in a different county! All beautiful made by the original mother. The car was full to the brim with gear for the tiny pony in the trailer.

That is absolutely lovely!

HorseMaid

Visit site
Gosh this is a heart pulling thread. Is there a way of making a really beloved saddle into something? Perhaps taking some of the leather and making into a necklace? Prob a stupid idea…

Or maybe if you could find someone kind to sell/give it to in return for the promise of pictures and updates on how it’s being used.I am a softy and if I bought something like this, I’d adore giving updates. I’m currently wondering whether someone once loved my beat up gfs saddle….

When I went to buy my mare's saddle it was clear to me that it was the last cherished thing belonging to the lady's old, beloved horse that had died. She had lost everything else in a fire in her tack shed. I felt guilty taking it away from her! However it has been put to good use and I love it, care for it and appreciate the fact that she sold it to me.

eahotson

Visit site

That's lovely.

honetpot

Visit site
I think most of us that us that are older have all been there. I have kept on saddle, the one that has fitted everything, and all my good bridle work and bits, as it fits in one plastic crate, get it out, oil it once or twice a year. One crate isn't much, and has bridles seem to go in fashion now, and not a lot of people understand the value of hand stitched English leather, I am treating like any other collectable.