the sound of the wind and rain.....

kerrieberry2

Visit site
makes me feel so guilty!

horses are out but they have a big barn to go into!

I know I'd be feeling just, if not more guilty, if they were in as they hate coming in!

the joy of owning horses!!

Suby2

Visit site
I am feeling guilty too. My pony has recently been diagnosed with laminitis. She is recovering well but as we have no stable she is in a pen which incorporates the field shelter. This means that my friend's horse cannot access it. She (friend's horse) is rugged but that doesn't make me feel any better.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
oh goodness, I would be really worried if they didn't have a shelter too! and to be fair my mares live out for 12yrs and this is only the 2nd winter she's had a shelter! but she does love it!

im sure they don't mind but I hate it!

and also the fact that they will be making mud everywhere!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm the opposite. I feel guilty because mine have to be stabled at night. Horses come in at 2.30 pm and go out at 7.30am.
They love being out as long as they have hay and the weather doesn't bother them at all.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I'm the opposite. I feel guilty because mine have to be stabled at night. Horses come in at 2.30 pm and go out at 7.30am.
They love being out as long as they have hay and the weather doesn't bother them at all.

oh no, I would defo feel worse if they were coming in especially for that many hours!

mine have a big round bale in the barn, so im sure they will be in there but it just sounds mean out there! probably sounds worse as I can hear that rain on my sky lights, so its 10 times louder than it would be in a normal house!

pennyturner

Visit site
I suspect they're less bothered by it than I am. I live in the middle or a wood, and will spend the night wondering whether any of the branches that come down tonight will land on the vehicles or barns - or even the house if we're really unlucky.

Hope it dies down tomorrow. I hate walking through the woods to go get firewood when it's blowing like this...

pansy

Visit site
I don't like it- judging by the way the horses came in tonight they aren't too keen either , they won't like being led out in the morning & it will be very slippy & to top it all this wind & rain has just knocked out my sky reception on tv - happy days :)

PerfectPony

Visit site
Horses are outdoor animals, bred to walk for miles and be hardy and lean.... OK, so why do my wimpy lot call out to me when it starts getting dark? They can't wait to come in for their 'low cal' tea and nets of low grade Haylage... I have 2 Shetlands, 1 Connie and one 'thin skinned' WB... Tried to leave them out overnight but couldn't cope with the hysterical Whinnying...xxx

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ours are in and very pleased to be so! Sister and I are wet through and windswept, the horses came in just before the rain started and after we had rescued the tarp for the haylage bale from on top of one of the buildings! The top of the pennines is not a good place to be when the weather is like this!

LynH

Visit site
I was listening to the wind and rain and was pleased that mine have the option to go indoors if they want. That was until an hour ago when I heard an almighty crash, I thought the new yard had gone down with the horses in but thankfully it's just the house extension that's being built. Not the best but so relieved it wasn't the stables. From what I can see at least one block wall about to ground floor ceiling height has gone but I don't want to get too close. We've only got boards at the back where they are attaching it to the existing house so I hope that stays. It's nights like this that I hate having an OH who travels for work. Mind you he's currently on a flight to Heathrow so don't envy him that one.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I heard an almighty crash, I thought the new yard had gone down with the horses in but thankfully it's just the house extension that's being built.

Mind you he's currently on a flight to Heathrow so don't envy him that one.
Poor you, I hope that the damage is not too extensive.

My OH's flight should be currently lining up to land at Manchester airport, I don't envy him either.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I was listening to the wind and rain and was pleased that mine have the option to go indoors if they want. That was until an hour ago when I heard an almighty crash, I thought the new yard had gone down with the horses in but thankfully it's just the house extension that's being built. Not the best but so relieved it wasn't the stables. From what I can see at least one block wall about to ground floor ceiling height has gone but I don't want to get too close. We've only got boards at the back where they are attaching it to the existing house so I hope that stays. It's nights like this that I hate having an OH who travels for work. Mind you he's currently on a flight to Heathrow so don't envy him that one.

OMG sounds like you're having a right time of it! glad it wasn't the stables that came crashing down!

and I really do not envy you hubby, I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than in bed right now, let alone in the air!! hope he doesn't get too much turbulence

kerrieberry2

Visit site
mine loves being in :)

she hates wind and rain and mud................ :D

I wish mine did, my boys only been stabled for an hour and he was a right annoying idiot! my mare used to be stabled 24/7 before I got her so she gets really stressed out, when I finally get her through the door! but as of this weekend they will have to come in and deal with it!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Mine is out and last seen was munching hay with his friend in the field shelter. They have lightweight rugs on just to keep the rain off. I do feel a little bad but I'd feel worse if they were cooped up x

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Heck LynH hope all is ok and you don't get any more damage. I've just been down to check our stables roof is still on! Wind is coming from behind so the actual yard is all calm.

pansy

Visit site
The delicate tb thinks he will melt in the rain & had a hissy fit because he wasn't the 1st one in & a lw rug in December just wouldn't do for him - I'm pretty sure he would pack his bag & be off somewhere better if he was out in a lw - why did I have one of these delicate creatures xx

Alexart

Visit site
I don't feel guilty, I've had the barn open for years and they never go in it even in the worst of storms and when we used to put hay out (mine are all too fat at the mo to feed!!), and we live on a hill near the solway coast so it gets the poop blown out of it most of the year, so now they sort themselves out and have a few good sheltered spots to get out of it if they need too and my 2 TB's have rain sheets to keep them dry and the fatties could do with some flab loss!:D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Blimey, it was so bad here a few minutes ago, my labrador went absolutely nuts trying to detect the intruder ! My lad is stabled, but tbh, it will pass very soon, and before we know it, we'll all be worrying about flies. x

cob&onion

Visit site
Oh dear.
Well my 2 are both out 24/7 one is blanket clipped and rugged the othrt a Welsh d us naked and fluffy! Itd blowing a gale and sideways rain. Went to feed and hay round 530 they were both toasty and happily munching hay?!

Potato!

Visit site
I have my big lad in tonight as he was desperate to come in at lunchtime. And his little friend is out but outside taio's stable ( hardcore with grassy area for peeing and pooing- approx 30m x 15m with a haynet) there is a little overhang as well as a line of trees to stand under but he chooses not to. He is naked but nice and warm, toasty and quite happy. I do feel a little guilty though for not having a stable for him though.

p87

Visit site
I've got this lot in, it's truly awful up here, the shettie would get blown away!

I only bring them in if the weather really is horrific, so for the rare occasions they are in they seem to be grateful for it, they'll be striding out to field in the morning then come 3pm they'll be looking suicidal again! I leave it as late as possible to bring them in as two get stiff if stabled overnight, but I can still guarantee they'll be hovering at the gate, wimps! ;)

_GG_

Visit site
This is so hard for me this year. Fly was always a complete wimp. Even a tiny bit of wind and/or rain and she would practically drag me to her stable and refuse to go back out unless it was nice. She was terrible. She had spent 6 years on a race yard. At the end of this summer, I decided to hold off rugging her and see how she coped as I knew they would be turned away for the winter anyway. I wasn't worried about Molly, she has never lived in, but I was terrible for worrying about Fly. I would take the dogs out late at night and think it was a bit nippy and end up driving to the yard to check her. Always she was absolutely fine.

This weather tonight made me feel awful because they do have windbreaks, natural shelter, a big round bale of hay and masses of grass, but I couldn't help myself. I had to go and check, right in the worst of it where I could hardly walk upright, let alone straight and they were 100yds away from the hay and shelter and eating grass, not a care in the world.

Fly used to be the biggest wimp going and now, because I've just let her go back to being a horse, she hasn't a care in the world and I love it. They do have MW rugs on (no necks) just to stop the worst of the cold and wet, but actually sometimes, I wish they were naked as I think they'd prefer it. Just too late to make that change now this year.

Luckily, when we were out earlier we bought a 140 litre bucket to use for brining briskets and hams.....because we got home to find a soaking wet carpet in the dining room and a hole in the ceiling of the bay window. It is dripping fast and constantly. There's about 4 inches left to drain out of the roof of the window but we have no way of emptying it. If we hadn't bought that bucket, we'd have been up through the night changing them constantly, lol. Instead, I decided to make mac 'n' cheese because I can't sleep???

doonrocket

Visit site
Well its had down a mahoosive tree across the drive - fortunately not near the stables, but I'm tempted to set to work with axe and chainer when I get home from the night shift. Wife will be cross if I don't get my beauty sleep though!