The stables, the stables (another property thread)

Widgeon

Visit site

Surely a possible option for the HHO holiday commune fund? I know the location is a bit wild card, but look at all the fantastic old stone outbuildings! The overgrown stable yard makes me want to cry a bit. But with our hypothetical millions I'm sure we could restore it to its former glory....then I'm thinking a giant woodland track system around the whole of the perimeter of the property, and that oversized gravel driveway would make a good laminitic paddock. A nice grass jumping arena would fit on the back lawn, and the big vaulted music room would make a great little indoor school for the winter (with ceilings like that I certainly wouldn't want to be heating it).

What were they thinking when it came to the kitchen though - they look like bottom of the range budget IKEA formica units (not even the posh IKEA units!). That would need some sorting out, because I reckon it's where we'd all spend most of our time, cleaning tack and drinking coffee. Or would we clean tack? In the hypothetical holiday commune, do we employ staff? Something to think about.

Finally - I'm not sure what that tower is for but perhaps we could put a pulley on the top and use it for soaking haynets?

If anyone has local intelligence as regards the hacking do share, I'd like to know about this before deciding whether it's worth turning all our sofas upside down.

Widgeon

Visit site
Funny you should mention hacking as I was just thinking from the map it doesn't look good, you'd be sandwiched in between 2 A roads

Yes that (and the steam railway) are what I was wondering about - the more promising areas for riding seem to be in the middle of the island. Ah well, that writes this one off then! I suppose it saves me hoovering out the sofas.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Yet again the silly estate agent hasn't prioritised detailed photographs of the stables and land in the listing 😂 It looks like the house was owned by someone with a strong interest in horses at some point in it's past, as there appears to be more than enough stables for a few carriage horses and a couple of hunters. I hope whoever buys it uses the stables for their original purpose.

I'm not sure it's rural/remote enough for the HHO commune though as surely we want somewhere no one can hear us scream with tons of quiet off-road hacking and amazing views? If we tip enough sofas then maybe we could afford to relocate it?

I definitely agree on the kitchen OP, it's such a weird choice for than house!

HeyMich

Visit site
I know this property (just from the outside) as my in-laws live a wee bit further along the coast. The main road along the front is quite fast, and it gets utterly battered by the sea sometimes - the trees are all lopsided due to the high winds. I think the beach there is narrow and pebbly so not good for riding either. We refer to this area as the stinky corner, as sometimes the seaweed collects in masses due to some current/weather phenomenon just on the roadside by the entrance and it absolutely stinks!

The good points are the really nice pub (The Shore) just a stone's throw further along the road, the nice wee village of Port St Mary nearby, and the views on a calm day would be stunning!

I'll come visit you all if you buy it, but I'll save my 20p and half a packet of smarties for another HHO purchase, if you don't mind.

Squeak

Visit site
Wow in my head I'll pretend the location is glorious and not stinky and has amazing hacking. I hope that the stables are returned to their former use, there's something really lovely about old stables.

I think quite a bit of the furnishing is quite odd too - almost cobbled together?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I know this property (just from the outside) as my in-laws live a wee bit further along the coast. The main road along the front is quite fast, and it gets utterly battered by the sea sometimes - the trees are all lopsided due to the high winds. I think the beach there is narrow and pebbly so not good for riding either. We refer to this area as the stinky corner, as sometimes the seaweed collects in masses due to some current/weather phenomenon just on the roadside by the entrance and it absolutely stinks!

The good points are the really nice pub (The Shore) just a stone's throw further along the road, the nice wee village of Port St Mary nearby, and the views on a calm day would be stunning!

I'll come visit you all if you buy it, but I'll save my 20p and half a packet of smarties for another HHO purchase, if you don't mind.

But according to e.g. the World Bank "In the future, seaweed products can displace fossil fuels in sectors such as textiles and plastics, sequester carbon, and generate income for fragile coastal communities."

Maybe that stinky mass could be used to create an income from the property? Or made into some sort of fuel to help heat all those huge indoor spaces?

But a place known for high winds, brrr! And it would be so disappointing to have a beach that looks as if it would be lovely to ride on so close, but not be able to actually ride on it because it's too pebbly, and narrow. Meh! Besides, what type of pebbles are we talking about? If they're pretty, I can't go there, because I would just want to put every pretty pebble I saw in my trouser pockets, until they're so heavy that I would risk my trousers falling down on my way home. It's been close enough as it is during some of my dog walks in perfectly ordinary Swedish woods, which aren't exactly known for having trails littered with pretty pebbles.

Widgeon

Visit site
If they're pretty, I can't go there, because I would just want to put every pretty pebble I saw in my trouser pockets, until they're so heavy that I would risk my trousers falling down on my way home.
It is a VERY large house FL, I'm sure we could find a spare bedroom for your rock collection. If we knock them down a bit on price there'll be enough left to buy you some braces for your trousers and some posh shelving.

Widgeon

Visit site
But according to e.g. the World Bank "In the future, seaweed products can displace fossil fuels in sectors such as textiles and plastics, sequester carbon, and generate income for fragile coastal communities."

Maybe that stinky mass could be used to create an income from the property? Or made into some sort of fuel to help heat all those huge indoor spaces?

And I'm VERY keen on this idea. Good thinking! We'll burn it to heat our indoor school, ahem, music room.