The start of a driving horse

cobsarefab

Visit site
So today I had a hho visitor. Leo Walker dropped by and has left me the most beautiful harness and a lovely carriage to borrow to break cobbus with. So we got cobbus in the yard and it turns out that that girl knew what she was doing. In fact LW says she would have bet money on her having been driven before so cobbus is being long reined in harness and apart from a bit of spinning was exceptionally good. I also had a go but let's just say I need a bit of work on how to hold the reins. So it's fourty minutes long reining each day for us both now. Let's hope I remember how to harness up!
MmYEG76.jpg

rdDqonB.jpg

Visit site
Holy cow you've done exceptionally well with this pony CAF, I'm actually envious of everything you've achieved. Huge congratulations!
Cobbus is beautiful too, she looks lovely in harness.
I thought she couldn't be bitted though?

cobsarefab

Visit site
Holy cow you've done exceptionally well with this pony CAF, I'm actually envious of everything you've achieved. Huge congratulations!
Cobbus is beautiful too, she looks lovely in harness.
I thought she couldn't be bitted though?
I Thought she couldn't either. She's always been nutty when I've done it but she had so many other issues it might have been that. Today Leo Walker put on the driving bridle but and all and she just got on with it no fuss or bother.

rara007

Visit site
Enjoy!

I like the saddle pad.. :p What’s the quality and condition like LW :p Once cobbus doesn’t need it any more of course!

Visit site
I Thought she couldn't either. She's always been nutty when I've done it but she had so many other issues it might have been that. Today Leo Walker put on the driving bridle but and all and she just got on with it no fuss or bother.

Ah bless her. Maybe she'd been driven before you got her but not ridden...
Well done anyway. You and Cobbus are my inspiration right now :p

Leo Walker

Visit site
She is a lovely pony with such nice manners. She reminds me of mine a lot. I suspect a very similar background with a bit of rough handling but she tried very hard today.

She was fine being bitted, I'm all for horses being happy but for driving I think its much better to have a bit, it just makes it easier to give them directions clearly. Anyway, stuck my finger in to make sure there was nothing nasty going on and then put it on and she was fine. Didnt bat an eyelid. In fact she didnt bat an eyelid at anything. She definitely knows about pulling and turning. And if she hasnt driven before I will eat my hat!

The harness is a bit of a mish mash. I have a really smart trade style harness but the saddle was just a tiny bit too small for her, so I've told CAF to up the work now and slim her into the proper saddle by the summer. Lots and lots and lots of long reining will be brilliant for both of them and is the perfect way to build you relationship with them before you put them in an actual carriage.

And CAF made me a hamper of sandwiches, profiteroles, meringues, and a big cake. I couldnt have managed to drive all that way myself at the minute so it was a partial bribe for the OH who does not share my love for standing around in the freezing cold playing ponies :lol:

This is us ready to go 9 hours ago. Its a 4 hour round trip so I cant go very often, but she can do a lot of the work herself now and then I know a very good instructor who will come and do the putting to etc, which is something you really do need a professional for anyway.

28279015_10155514865418667_6907439901178728021_n.jpg