The stupidest thing you did- horse wise.

Pippity

Visit site
My new 5yo had been delivered the day before. I couldn't get a saddle for another 2-3 weeks.

Obviously, I hopped on bareback. For added fun, she was hogged and I didn't have a neckstrap.

Thankfully, Blue is a very sensible wee soul! I'm pretty sure it was the first time she'd been ridden bareback and she was certainly a little surprised. It took a couple of circuits of the school, only in walk, before I acquired brakes.

MollyFell

Visit site
I've done many stupid things but luckily only one of them resulted in an actual accident.

I used to own a stupid horse who was convinced it was his way or the highway. One day out on a hack he spooked at a stone on the floor and bolted home. Before he got to the main road I chucked myself off and broke my foot. As soon as my foot was better I was so irritated by his idiotic behaviour I took him back out, alone, along the same route. Well the little arsehole did exactly the same thing, I chucked myself off again and ended back up on crutches for 6 weeks.

Omg I have one like this - was looking after a friend's pony whilst she was on holiday, went out on a hack with some adults off the yard (I must have been 14?), pony legged it off and went down a ditch, I fell off broke my ankle. The adults took the pony back and left me unconscious on the bridle path, wtf? Anyway, once it had healed I got back on the same pony and thought I was really clever 'racing' some of the other kids...fell off again and broke the other ankle.

Love this thread, it's brought back some great memories! I wish my daughter was horsey and could experience the freedom and fun we all did, must admit that I'd be out of my mind with worry so maybe it's better she doesn't ride ;)

Tarragon

Visit site
Love this thread, it's brought back some great memories! I wish my daughter was horsey and could experience the freedom and fun we all did, must admit that I'd be out of my mind with worry so maybe it's better she doesn't ride ;)

I went to Australia for about 9 months, after my A-levels at the start of the 1980's, and got a job working in racing stables. I think that my parents probably got 3 letters from me the whole time I was out there. I think that the world operated on the understanding that no news is good news. Nowadays, the expectation is that something is wrong if you don't hear from someone!
I kept a diary while I was out there, with a record of numerous incidents I really didn't want my parents to know of (Fit Farriers featured quite heavily in these!), then lost it when i got back home! I was on tenterhooks for years, thinking that they would find it before me and realise actually what I got up to on the other side of the world :oops:

gemisastar

Visit site
As a teen bringing one of the ponies in, I helped at a riding school and this pony was field kept on the other side of the village. I'd taken his saddle on the bus with me, caught him and decided to have a leisurely canter down the little wooded track that led out of his field. Fell off, got foot caught in stirrup. Pony very luckily stopped and was eating the hedgerow but I was in the predicament of being on my own, lying on my back with one foot hoiked right up in the air, and just could not get up. After about ten minutes pony had to put up with me literally clawing my way up his neck (bless him) otherwise we would have been there all day! Never told a soul, I felt like such a fool.

9tails

Visit site
It is because of moments like this that I now always carry a couple of treats when I ride and give one to the horse as soon as I dismount. My hope is that should I go flying or need to faff with a boot or whatever the horse will at least mug me for a treat before buggering off so I should have a brief opportunity to grab the reins!

I'm a serial treater now. I fell off at a clinic once and, rather than join the other horses, my mare circled me closely like a shark avoiding the instructor's attempt to grab her!

9tails

Visit site
Omg I have one like this - was looking after a friend's pony whilst she was on holiday, went out on a hack with some adults off the yard (I must have been 14?), pony legged it off and went down a ditch, I fell off broke my ankle. The adults took the pony back and left me unconscious on the bridle path, wtf? Anyway, once it had healed I got back on the same pony and thought I was really clever 'racing' some of the other kids...fell off again and broke the other ankle.

You would want your daughter to pick better riding companions than those "adults" that left you unconscious! What were they thinking?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

You would want your daughter to pick better riding companions than those "adults" that left you unconscious! What were they thinking?

I passed out due to sudden illness on a ride once and my friend decided to sling me over the saddle - arms one side and legs the other - and to lead my big off the track Thb from her nutty chestnut American Saddler, all the way down a main road to my house, where she delivered me to my astonished parents ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I went to Australia for about 9 months, after my A-levels at the start of the 1980's, and got a job working in racing stables. I think that my parents probably got 3 letters from me the whole time I was out there. I think that the world operated on the understanding that no news is good news. Nowadays, the expectation is that something is wrong if you don't hear from someone!
I kept a diary while I was out there, with a record of numerous incidents I really didn't want my parents to know of (Fit Farriers featured quite heavily in these!), then lost it when i got back home! I was on tenterhooks for years, thinking that they would find it before me and realise actually what I got up to on the other side of the world :oops:

*whispers* They did find it, but were too embarrassed to hand it over.

MollyFell

Visit site

All these years later I can still remember how livid my Mum was, understandably! How idiotic?

I passed out due to sudden illness on a ride once and my friend decided to sling me over the saddle - arms one side and legs the other - and to lead my big off the track Thb from her nutty chestnut American Saddler, all the way down a main road to my house, where she delivered me to my astonished parents ?

That's hilarious! I wonder how so many of us lived to tell these tales, lol