The things non-horsey people say......

MungoMadness

Visit site
I came back from a jump lesson once and was saying how I was so rusty jumping and couldn't see a stride.

She got really concerned and asked me if I should be wearing my glassss when I ride!

Love

Visit site
Not necessarily a non-horsey person but a youngster and still funny!

Me an my mum were watching the showjumping on the final day at Bramham a couple of years ago and there was a family in front of us. The little boy must have been only 3 or 4 and turned to his dad with a totally straight face and asked

"Daaaad, what would win [the showjumping] between a horse and a velociraptor?"

Me and my mum didn't know what was funnier, the question or the Dad trying to think of an answer!

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
My friend in work the other day asked if I raced my horse or did point to points on him :) he is an appy (x with something) and 15hh so no not quite what he'd be doing lol

I have been asked if I race my boy at a few newmarket events by non-horsey friends. He's a 15.2 Arab x (a bit of a Heinz 57 really). Definitely not made for racing but I think it's partly that I'm 4"11 and therefore "jockey sized" in many peoples minds. I always get asked why I didn't become a jockey.

People also expect me to know all about racing when we go and ask me for tips, I always tell them that I know nothing and tend to pick based on the silly names or the ones I think are pretty but I'm not sure they all believe me. Having your own horse qualifies you for all things racing around here.

rread

New User
Visit site
It took me about 5 years to get my OH to stop telling people that I "used to do dressage". I have never owned my own, and the only showing I've done is in-hand with a family member's pony a few times as a teenager. Each time I corrected him all he had to say was something along the lines of "well it was something like that." No, no it really wasn't.

When I started riding again and hurt all the time after my lessons I had the usual "Well all you do is sit there.", "It's easy", etc. (the ones who said this have yet to take up my challenge and even go for one of the taster sessions my riding school runs weekly).

We went to Florida in February and I put up some pics of my mother-in-law's two boys, several people asked me why they had blindfolds (fly masks) on/if they could see out of them.

One of the other mums at my little 'uns riding lesson knows absolutely nothing about horses (and sees me as the font of all knowledge, which I ain't and don't pretend to be) and is a bit wary of them. She occasionally says funny things to me, including being terrified of one of the smaller ponies because he has a blue eye and is the only one she's ever seen with one. Because of this she thinks he's evil, I think he's lovely!

One friend also asks me after each lesson "How was the horsey play session?"

caileag

Visit site
Non horsey colleagues always want to know how much my horse cost and how much it costs to keep him. nooooo! don't ever ask this. don't want to think about it !