The things you find

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
As title, mixing up my mares breakfast this morning when the water went in this came up to the surface which must have been in the Fibergy half a birds wing gross..................

I will contact D&H to notify them
20170318_1020561_zpsfhlxtnpd.jpg

20170318_1020391_zpsevjhodja.jpg

Anyone got any other part of this deceased bird???

C1airey

Visit site
Personally I've not found anything more than the odd feather or squashed beetle in the haylage. Friend at our old yard found a hoof in their haynet though.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Don't read on if you are squeamish...

Years ago I rented a field which had a large shed in it. When I needed to store hay for the winter I cleared out the rubbish in the shed. The rubbish was mostly old hay bales. In amongst them was a squashed and dessicated cat.

TelH

Visit site
I've found a rabbit's foot, pheasant's wing and a piece of jawbone (sheep?) in various bales of hay.
My favourite find was a strap from one of my rugs. Hooligan youngster had been playing with one of my other ponies and managed to rip one of the straps off his rug. Spent ages scouring the field and could not find it anywhere. The next year the field was not grazed and had hay cut from it. What turned up in one of the bales- the missing rug strap :D

Shooting Star

Visit site
Years ago I had a particularly heavy small bale of hay. I was rejoicing in its good value for money until I started using it and discovered that it contained a large proportion of a old wooden chair, including some very ornate spindles!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Once put my arm into the bottom of a nearly finished bag of feed, only to have a mouse run up it...
Autumn checking of stored rugs, and flat dead rat in lining of turnout rug. Totally gross.

Deer leg got caught up in our baler... there was no other body part so can only assume it was just the leg.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Some of the girls at the yard adopted a stray ferret, then it disappeared and we all thought it had just gone away again on its travels. sadly it turned up a couple of weeks later - the farmer had delivered a big bale of hay around the time of the disappearance, and when the bale was finished there was the poor ferret underneath it totally squished.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Don't read on if you are squeamish...

Years ago I rented a field which had a large shed in it. When I needed to store hay for the winter I cleared out the rubbish in the shed. The rubbish was mostly old hay bales. In amongst them was a squashed and dessicated cat.

yuk - I hope it wasn't someones pet

PetalPower

Visit site
Not in feed but saw what looked like a bird's wing in the arena sand and when I picked it up it was an entire dead barn owl buried under the sand. No idea how it got there but gutted...........

Pie's mum

Visit site
I am normally greeted by empty haynets each morning. On one occasion I found he hadn't finished one of his nets. Left it in as his day net with a little more in another net. Was greeted that evening by a ravenous horse telling me he was starving, but the net remained untouched. .I investigated... to find half a dead bird in the bit he didn't want to eat. Ugh!

corriehorse

Visit site
My horse lost the back strap of her greenguard grazing muzzle one spring. The field was then rested and cut for hay. I moved my horse, but went back to the yard every Saturday to ride a horse that was kept there. Mucking him out in the winter, and in the scraps of hay he'd left, was my mares muzzle strap! Of all the days, and horses stable it could of turned up in!

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Had a funky dead mouse in a bag of feed once and a radio aerial in my shavings! Found bits of bird in my hay too, usually pheasent. At riding school we saddly found the remains of a squished badger in the muck heap, no idea how he got there.

scats

Visit site
A decaying fox in our haylage about 10 years ago, I will never forget that smell when I opened the bale!

Found a flat and rock hard frog in my hay on Christmas Day a few years ago. It looked like a comedy flat pack, everything was perfect- legs, toes... poor little frog.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh yes... talking of man made stuff - we lost a cow due to a chinese lantern and these things turn up in our hay/straw/bedding all the time.... mangled wires, burnt fireworks, bamboo sticks, candlewicks (the metal at the bottom from tea lights, tin cans, bottle tops, wrappers, yoghurt pots... I'd forgotten about all of that as in the thread I just imagined "dead animals".

I guess when you live near a major city, all sorts blow in. It's pretty gross, in fact I completely went against any packaged stuff (esp black plastic) and even though I pay to have riverford deliver, I feel like I'm not contributing to the amount of absolute crap blowing around the countryside killing things.

hairycob

Visit site
When we first got horses we had rented grazing at a nearby farm. There was just us and a batty old lady who collected shetlands. She went away for a few days and asked us to keep an eye on her herd. The water trough in her field needed to be filled by hose and we dutifully dragged it out there to top up the water. Son spotted a dead bird in there and grabbed the wing to pull it out. It disintegrated and stank, God knows how long it had been there and the water was really murky so we ended up emptying it and scrubbing the trough clean. I can still remember the smell and it was 12 years ago.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
When we first got horses we had rented grazing at a nearby farm. There was just us and a batty old lady who collected shetlands. She went away for a few days and asked us to keep an eye on her herd. The water trough in her field needed to be filled by hose and we dutifully dragged it out there to top up the water. Son spotted a dead bird in there and grabbed the wing to pull it out. It disintegrated and stank, God knows how long it had been there and the water was really murky so we ended up emptying it and scrubbing the trough clean. I can still remember the smell and it was 12 years ago.

Why did I open this thread as I am cooking a casserole.....

*dashes off to the loo...*

Leitrim

Visit site
I just wish I COULD find the very expensive protective boot that my filly deposited somewhere in a big muddy field 2 winters ago.

rosiesowner

Visit site
An old pair of pants :eek: (mens) and very large in size in a haylage bale!! I once found a live bird in one of Chilli's haynets when it was almost empty and I went to fill it up again. I was able to gently pick it up and hold it until it was happy to fly off. Beautiful little creature :)
17408388_732831193543197_159613834_o.jpg

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I once had a large metal spring in my bale of hay, presumably from the machinery used to harvest the hay, my horse just ate around it, lol!