The time has come

Shavings

Visit site
I posted back In April the family German Shepard was diagnosed with bone cancer and had 2 months left to live

sadly he isn’t going to make 2 months
He is slowly getting worse, this morning my mother called to say he has deteriorated to the point she brought him breakfast in bed, I phoned the vets it was agreed after a visit at the house he can have the weekend on stronger pain killers to be spoilt (I am buying him a mc d breakfast tomorrow) and Monday we will get him grow his wings

im heart broken and feel robbed he will be barely 8 and our last stayed til 16 , he is a straight back Germans Shepard and the X-rays that showed the cancer shows his hips where perfect.

we have found a whippet to be my mother new companion (he will not join her til the first week in June give her time to grief and be ready for a smaller dog)

but I just feel a bit hallow right now, I turned 30 in April and since it has been bad news after bad news, I guess being an only child and adopted the animals on the family where always closer with me then a “normal” person but gosh storm is a special one

I’m sorry I just needed to let this out

a photo of himself before he got ill

DED0D1B2-FBFF-40E0-B43A-8859A05BD909.jpeg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry.

We are in a similar position with our 8 yr old Rottweiler, although hers is a bladder tumour. The time from diagnosis to 'this is the end' is horrible, as you try to 2nd guess whether the pain is controlled. I have to admit that she is being very spoilt. I am glad that you have found another canine for your mum to concentrate on when she is ready.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry, its such a shame when they are young. you are doing the kindest thing for him, give him lots of hugs and kisses and remember to look after yourselves as wellxx

Griffin

Visit site
He is such a lovely looking boy and so lucky to have you to care for him. It is the hardest decision, even when you know it is the right one, and I never think that knowing it is coming makes it easier. Lots of hugs for your and your boy.

SAujla

Visit site
I'm very sorry to read this, he is a very handsome boy and I'm sure you'll make this weekend as perfect as it can be for everyone

Shavings

Visit site
So sorry to hear that, Shavings. You are brave making the right decision for him though. He looks gorgeous, at Cornaa??
Yes it was his favourite place to be, between the sea and the waterfall

it’s providing very difficult to say goodbye this time, we have had our due family members leave us before but they where old and grey, I’m not saying I miss them less or it hurt less but I feel he has been cheated of many happy years , this photo was taken this year it’s hard to believe looking at him now ?

GSD Woman

Visit site
I'm so sorry. Your dog is lucky to have you and your mother to care for him and make his last days as comfortable as possible.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Sorry to hear your news,what a big character he looks.A big honest dog.
The whippet is a lovely gift to help your mom move forward.Stay strong.

Emilieu

Visit site
I’m so sorry. Saying goodbye is awful. I’ve lost a cat and a horse to cancer, it’s terrible how quickly it changes them. All that’s left to do is to save them from it. I hope he enjoys his lovely breakfast.

Shady

Visit site
Oh goodness I am so sorry to read this Shavings love. Such a beautiful dog and I understand completely the feeling of being cheated of time when they go so young. My first Weim was only 7 and it was so hard making the call and saying goodbye. You are doing the right thing and he's been a lucky dog indeed to have had such a wonderful family. I'm thinking of you and sending the warmest of hugs my friend. xxxxx

cariad

Visit site
Shavings, you really do have my sympathy as I am going through exactly the same thing. I think we posted previously at much the same time, as my deerhound was diagnosed on Good Friday with osteosarcoma with the same prognosis. It is devastating. She too is only 7 and a half and although deerhounds are not the longest lived of dogs, I had expected a few more years perhaps. It is indeed the thought that it's much too early for them to go, especially as, again like you, all my previous dogs have been 16 or 17 when they went. If they get to that age, it is still very sad, but you console yourself by thinking, well, they had a good and long life and they don't live forever.... My girl is not so bad, considering, sometimes I think, could it possibly have been a wrong diagnosis, but the lump on her leg tells me otherwise. She does not seem in pain, but she has painkillers just in case and still eats like a horse, comes out to the field with us and plays with puppy, who was concidentally bought just before the diagnosis. But you watch them lke a hawk for the slightest thing.

I shall have to make the same decision soon, I expect and I am just absolutely dreading it. But it is the last thing you can do for them isn't it; let them go with dignity while they're not suffering. We know it's the right thing however hard it is for us. Not that that makes it any easier.... I'm sorry for your loss.

Moobli

Visit site
I’m so sorry to read this. I lost my dog of a lifetime (also a GSD) to cancer at 8 years old coming up to 2 years ago and it still hurts very much. Losing any of our beloved dogs is heartbreaking but there’s something doubly devastating when they are young. You feel so cheated. Enjoy what time you have left, spoil him rotten and know you’re doing the right and selfless thing by not prolonging any suffering and allowing him to go to sleep surrounded by love ❤️. I’ll be thinking of you all tomorrow x