The trouble with Fatty

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some of you may remember that my lovely ID Fatty who carried MrGS so well has a damaged stifle and was unable to hunt last winter .
So he’s now sort of retired we where leading him from another horse but he was uncomfortable in trot and although we saw some improvements with a little work it was not enough .
So now Fatty can’t be worked he’s not called Fatty for nothing so into a big strip with a shed and various little off shots went Fatty and our other ID H .
All went well for most of May they came in daily for attention and a sleep had straw put out .
Then Fatty broke trough a fence into the field next door so we reinforced that fence .
Then he started going under the electric fence despite it having two rolls of rope .he runs up to the fence flings himself on his side and slides under itsvery clever but very annoying he’s just takes the shock .
Then he started opening the gates and letting himself into the stable yard when he fancied so I stopped that by using stirrups leathers .
Then he destroyed two gates to get into another field .
escapeolgy has always been one of his summer hobby’s when he’s not in work.
He’s now in the paddock with H that my horses have just come out of and standing in twelve hours it’s not enough make him slim but he’s not getting seriously fatter .
If I stand him in more he gets stiff and grumpy .
He’s very happy atm cheeky and full of badness he’s always been a very funny horse with a lot of personality I am pleased about this because he did not do well in winter I removed his shoes and it seems to make his stifle sorer I was also keeping him out as much as possible and this made him miserable he’s always liked being in the cold weather .
Not sure of what to do should I medicate and keep in more ,how do I give him a good quality of life .
If we can get to winter I might be able to get him to lose some weight and him have a happy time .
The weight dropped of H while they where in the strip but Fatty stayed the same he’s the best doer I have ever seen .
Fatty also has non sweating syndrome which makes him hard to manage in summer .
It’s so hard he’s full of personality and life .

Ladyinred

Visit site
Seems to me he has a good quality of life!

I suppose you can impose a tough regime to make him lose weight and see if that is the answer to his stifle problems.

Or.. you can let him be a happy (naughty!) horse with a shorter lifespan. I know what I would do but would probably be slated for it.

Good luck, I hope you get a more productive answer xx

Diddleydoo

Visit site
Would a grazing muzzle be out of the question?

My guess is with his talent for escaping muzzle removal wouldn't be beyond him.

You have my sympathy, stifle problems are the pits

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh, don't you just wish you could talk to them!?

So sorry, GS, but in your shoes I'd have him in during the day, out overnight and put him down if he gets laminitis.

Assuming that construction of a bull proof hard standing of half to one acre, or a stone track, isn't feasible.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh dear, retiring the lovely but mischievous Fatty was never going to be easy, was it. You ask if you should medicate, does that mean that there are options left to alleviate/mask his lameness so that he could do some light work? That would help his weight management.

I know that you've thrown everything at him vet wise to get him to come properly right. Horses can be so worrying, can't they.

Asha

Visit site
GS I feel your pain! My ID girl is the same , didn’t lose weight over winter. She’s a bit like me , we just look at food and it goes straight on. She won’t tolerate grazing muzzles , and has no respect for electric fencing or the ditch that separates he fields ( sh just climbs do n and goes through ) she’s now in a fully post and rail paddock which she hates, in during the day and out at night . She hasn’t put any more weight on in he last two weeks . Maybe try that ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
They are so naughty .
He’s in a post and rail paddock with an electric guard rail now about an acre and a half he’s with H the other ID he’s happy enough atm but it won’t be enough to fight the flab .

Apercrumbie

Visit site
In Fatty's defence - greenguards were no match for my Welshie when a bog standard muzzle from countrywide stayed on....most of the time at least.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies .
It was on my mind yesterday because yesterday we put his saddle in a saddle bag and it headed to retirement in the attic .
I am still not sure what to do but even if he’s too fat and he is as long as he’s happy ,even though he would like to be eating more it’s not the end of the world as long as he does not founder .
Last winter I was out most of the time with Tatts because he was with Tatts he had access to forage and he was rugged because he had been clipped .
This winter I hope to stable Tatts at night this will mean I will not put forage in the field so I will be able to diet Fatty more easily I might be able to get him slimmer .

ihatework

Visit site
These types are infuriating and heartbreaking all wrapped into one.
I think I would be of the mindset quality rather than quantity of life personally and, within reason, accept he is going to get fat, watch him like a hawk and take prompt action when the time comes.

tristar

Visit site
i would upgrade the electric fence, and put water on the earth rod everyday and make sure he knows its on by electrocuting him, max voltage needed.

i have found putting a thick or folded blanket over the loins and quarters at night helped a lot of with the stifle problems we had, i think the warmth relaxed the muscle spasms caused by discomfort

anyway good luck

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think you have to do what you can but I also think that you can only do what is reasonable and that QOL is important.

This year we can't muzzle due to teeth/jaw issues so we have put a track up (thankfully is good with electric). Surprisingly he is actually doing ok weightwise but I won't compromise with the life he has now and keep him in or yarded at this point in his life. I want him to mooch with his mate and be a horse and if that isn't good enough will make the decision to call it a day.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think you have to do what you can but I also think that you can only do what is reasonable and that QOL is important.

This year we can't muzzle due to teeth/jaw issues so we have put a track up (thankfully is good with electric). Surprisingly he is actually doing ok weightwise but I won't compromise with the life he has now and keep him in or yarded at this point in his life. I want him to mooch with his mate and be a horse and if that isn't good enough will make the decision to call it a day.

Easter this really is it ,of course I could get him slim I could lock him and feed him straw but what’s the point of retirement if that’s what it’s like .
He’s settled in the bare paddock with H , although last night someone undid the catch on the gate between this paddock and the one where my horses are luckily I was one step ahead of him and had it strapped shut as well.
He likes coming in in the morning that’s always been his life here in summer he lies flat out and has a snooze and then watches what’s going on of course he would like a huge net of haylege but then they all would .
You can always tell when Fatties unhappy he’s very expressive !!!!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
F's quite happy to come in a for some hay and snooze! He usually gets to do it while Mum rides her mare, unless it's hot as our stables seem to be makeshift saunas.

ATM Frank looks better than this time last year weight wise (we were strip grazing and it was too much without then muzzling) so we're ok with that but if he gets lami we call it a day. It's been the subject of much thinking from me and discussion with mum recently as he's a few issues which all need management but how we want to do that.

SEL

Visit site
I'm another who is careful with a retiree, but won't go overboard keeping him off grass. Luckily Militaire is not designed for sliding under electric fencing! But if I ever leave the power off then he knows....

It's tough keeping the good doers. I definitely prefer the skinnies where you can throw grass, haylage and hard feed at them all day long.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm another who always tries to go for quality of life, rather than quantity but if Fatty were mine, I would offer him oat straw chaff when he comes in for his time off the grass. I understand that Top Spec Zero is very tasty, so he might fill up on that and not eat quite so much grass (maybe!:D).

They do cause us some consternation don't they (along with the laughs that they give with their antics)? We used to have a Welsh A who rolled under the fencing, just because she could!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Is that Fatty doubling as Seamus again on the front page of next week's Radio Times? Plus there's a two page spread where Aidan Turner waxes lyrical about his equine co star.

ZkEHkDv.jpg

hTgsNav.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think they must be related they are very alike .
But imagine the fun Fatty could have on a film set .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I bet he'd have something to say about continual cantering along cliff tops :D

He would not mind the cantering about he always liked a bit of a riot about but that big bit he would not like .
Control always has to be firmly in Fatties hooves

BBP

Visit site
I empathise. BBP is ok when I’m work but if he so much looks at a blade of grass he gets fat if not working it off. He has been lame for 7 weeks now on track/paddock rest to see if time would improve him but like fatty he takes every opportunity to escape/steal/cause havoc, and he is far too fat. I’m dreading the outcome of his hospital workup tomorrow as I won’t box rest him and he’s too overweight for me to feel comfortable putting steroids into him. I’m hoping it isn’t too drastic but he’s just as lame after 7 weeks as he was at the start. I’d rather he was happy for less time than frustrated and miserable for longer.