The use of radios on yards

PoniesRock

Visit site
Done. In all honesty we use the radio for our own benefit rather than the horses! Mucking out is a long old job on a yard without a radio.

Theocat

Visit site
Done. It might have been worth finding out why participants hold the views that they do - for example, if they've seen a stressed horse calmed by a radio, or vice versa. I'm not sure what you'll establish with your questions other than owner perceptions / prejudices without anything to back them up.

Visit site
Done.

I remember Aiden O'Brien saying once that he had radios on in his barns and he put it onto the Classical channel in the colts barns to help chill them out a bit. It worked too well and the majority became too chilled to be racehorses. Once turned back onto a normal everyday music channel their work improved as did their race results.

BBP

Visit site
Done.

I remember Aiden O'Brien saying once that he had radios on in his barns and he put it onto the Classical channel in the colts barns to help chill them out a bit. It worked too well and the majority became too chilled to be racehorses. Once turned back onto a normal everyday music channel their work improved as did their race results.

If that’s true I think I might get my horse a Walkman and headphones and play him classical music whilst we ride!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
As a a music lover with a wide eclectic taste - I would point out that a lot of classic music would drive most horses up the nearest wall! Of course, there is a volume control but as I often point out to my deer wife ( I say deer because on these occcassions she had horns sticking out of her head!) - you cannot play Wagner quietly! My office often viberates to techno, trance and garage - but I've never taken to rap, can't get my old ears around it.

The extremely posh dressage school where I first met my horse had loudish pop music playing at 06.00 which didn't stop till about 21.00 for evening yards. Other yards had a silent policy except for Kur practice.

However; it's very difficult to truly find out what horses percieve when there is any noise, yes, they jump at a sudden one but with constant low noises with no obvious reaction - it's a job to know what they think.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
My yard isn't allowed a radio as yard owner has told manager we don't have a licence to play radio on commercial premises?

Y.O. is having you on ( there's a surprise?) If the radio is being played by the BUSINESS for the benefit of their fee paying clients, then a licence is required. However; if the radios are being played by individuals for THEMSELVES, no licence is required and in any case would be covered if the individuals pay for a T.V. licence at their home.

There's also a side issue of what constitutes "public performance" - your yard could be considered a private club - in fact it's always a good idea to constitute one by getting all liveries to pay 1p for a membership card. Job done!

Last edited:

scats

Visit site

Yes, you need a license to play a radio or music on a commercial or public premises. It’s classed as a public broadcast otherwise and when you buy music or a radio, you buy the right for you to listen to that privately, nothing more.
We cover this with our year 9s when we do copyright law as part of computing and they are always really shocked.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I've just phoned the Performing Arts people posing the question of getting a small livery yard fully legal - the person that answered said the odd bag of free manure would do and fell about laughing! I think we can all rest assured that a SWAT squad will not be descending on one's yard any time soon!

lottiepony

Visit site
Y.O. is having you on ( there's a surprise?) If the radio is being played by the BUSINESS for the benefit of their fee paying clients, then a licence is required. However; if the radios are being played by individuals for THEMSELVES, no licence is required and in any case would be covered if the individuals pay for a T.V. licence at their home.

There's also a side issue of what constitutes "public performance" - your yard could be considered a private club - in fact it's always a good idea to constitute one by getting all liveries to pay 1p for a membership card. Job done!

Nope we have to have a license for our staff to play radios in our factory. The fee is based on number employees, square footage and how many radios you have and it's not a cheap thing either. Not so likely for the hit squad to appear on livery yards due to their locations I imagine but they regularly do the rounds on industrial estates.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Nope we have to have a license for our staff to play radios in our factory. The fee is based on number employees, square footage and how many radios you have and it's not a cheap thing either. Not so likely for the hit squad to appear on livery yards due to their locations I imagine but they regularly do the rounds on industrial estates.

Oh you may well HAVE a license and were TOLD you needed one but you don't - I've checked the law today especially. It's only for music being played - as I wrote above - by the owner of a business for the benefit of others (like MusaK in a lift) NOT the radios of individuals who happen to be there - else EVERYBODY would be breaking the law in the car park eh? It's an unenforceable law and they don't tend to stand.
I have quite a bit of "previous" when licensing is under discussion having successfully made a lot of officiousfolk look pretty stupid over t.v. licences. For fifteen years or so there was no telly in OldFogie Villas, during the educational period of my two sprogs growing when they were mercilessly beaten with the 1949 version of Encyclopedia Brittanica ( plus year books). I then relented and allowed them video when VCR's and Blockbuster became available - my missus spotted two guys looking through our window once ( which was a bit of a cheek as the place laid down a long private drive) and asked what they were up to, was told they were t.v. licensing blokes who promptly sent us a summons. Later at court, I demanded that they read out the Law - and establish what is meant by "Broadcast Receiver" - the most important part of which being that the telly set is plugged into an ariel (antenna) which the two nosey geysers hadn't bothered to check. I won the case and insisted on my costs. So you have me to thank for the pedantic wording of the Communications Act 2003 which basically reads that you now need a licence to breathe. Closed all the loopholes.

Last edited:

npage123

Visit site
Done the survey.

At our business we have both the PRS and PPL licences. Both companies have explained to my OH as me that if at any point the music that we play can be heard by a member of the public, then we need both licences. Even if the intention is to play the music only to ourselves (and not to anyone else), the scenario and rules changes as soon as the public can overhear the music being played, which is the reason for needing both licences.

It's not cheap to pay it every year, but I do know of other premises which had unannounced inspections and the penalties for not having the licences when you ought to have it, is extortionate. They backdate the yearly fees that you should have paid plus throw in huge penalties.

OldFogie, I would be very interested to know what your thoughts are on the above. If you have any tips for us to get around this, which would mean that we don't need the licences, then I'd be very grateful!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
OldFogie, I would be very interested to know what your thoughts are on the above. If you have any tips for us to get around this, which would mean that we don't need the licences, then I'd be very grateful!

The first thing you have to consider is - how far do you wanna stick your neck out?

It's o.k. for me because some of my old mates have nicknamed me Perry Mason ( I'm about the same age as the stories ) and often joke about the little enclosure in the Magistrate's Court car park with my name up in lights! Hahahah.

I battle against any jumped up petty officialdom I see - don't get me wrong - I'm a firm believer in obeying the Law but want to see fair laws, fairly administered and what we often find in this Septred Isle is bad laws, badly applied by biased officials who intentional misinterpret for their own gain. Just the other day, we all heard this Chief constable Anthony Bangham saying that motorists are under a false impression that they have a 10% leeway. Well I put it to him that if the Law is fair it must be seen to be fair and at the moment the Law on overloading clearly states that 10% over is not considered even cautionable and that 20% over has certain mitigating circumstances. I reckon the basis for one law should be the basis for them all.

I once wrote a phrase made popular by Father Ted on my truck because I didn't like the way my insurance company had treated me - literally thousands of people applauded and flocked to tell me their own tales - I was photograph by laughing policemen in London who all thought it was a hoot and that picture went viral, I had over a million hits on a website not one critical word which must be some kind of record for the InterWeb!
However; two of my local PCSO's called saying the phrase was causing offence and they'd had complaints (note plural) when I cast doubt of their truthfulness this quickly changed to "complaint" - I challenged them to prove it. They issued a criminal charge and I had to attend my little lighted spot again for an indictment hearing at which I demanded a trial by jury - and was refused!!! Did you know that you can't insist on one for some "crimes" - they are classed as Summary and are only heard by Magistrates ( all well and good but there's only three of them usually all Daily Fail readers.) So I spent an hour ranting about Runnymeade, King John and my Magna Carta rights being removed by faceless bureaucrats while I was asleep. It made the National news - and the entire case collapsed. Ironically, I was very disappointed by this as I was going to throughly enjoy ridiculing the whole damn system at a full trial but by this time my InterWeb fan club were joining in and would have besieged the place.

Ah well, I'm off for a G&T now will look in tomorrow.

Last edited:

npage123

Visit site
Enjoy that G&T - I'm sure it's well deserved.

I wish we could employ you for a few days, purely for the purpose of fighting our corner against having to abide to some of the ridiculous health and safety laws, music licences etc :D

cauda equina

Visit site
So horses don't like jazz; who can blame them?

One possible adverse effect of radios is that horses can become confused by what they are hearing.
I've seen mine react to hoof noises (in a play) and a neigh (in a documentary) as if they thought there were real horses around; becoming agitated in the first instance, neighing back in the second

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
X
Done the survey.

At our business we have both the PRS and PPL licences. Both companies have explained to my OH as me that if at any point the music that we play can be heard by a member of the public, then we need both licences. Even if the intention is to play the music only to ourselves (and not to anyone else), the scenario and rules changes as soon as the public can overhear the music being played, which is the reason for needing both licences.

It's not cheap to pay it every year, but I do know of other premises which had unannounced inspections and the penalties for not having the licences when you ought to have it, is extortionate. They backdate the yearly fees that you should have paid plus throw in huge penalties.

Our business was made to pay the licences (tiny garage) - they said anywhere clients or employees could hear was covered. Eventually we got rid of the radio (they did a check a month later). Nowadays we get round it by playing the radio(quite softly) on the cars being repaired, saying it is being mended!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/31229/music-genres-effect-on-horse-behavior-evaluated

I presume you’ve seen this? Personally I hate radios on yards. I think the reason I love my current yard is the peaceful (radioless) atmosphere.

I’m so with you on this. I can’t stand listening to a constant row of someone else’s music choices and presenters talking rubbish. I hate the way people think it’s their perfect right to impose it on other people. I find it almost distressing especially if it’s very loud. Luckily we’re DIY and no current livery does this.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
So horses don't like jazz; who can blame them?

Did you catch any Downton Abbey? On hearing this "new" music, the old dowager asks "do you think any of them know what the others are playing?" I find that funny despite liking a lot of Jazz and going to many classic jam sessions - love the character on the Fast Show - "Welcome to JazzClub - nice!" Yes, met a few of that type.

SussexbytheSea - I’m so with you on this. I can’t stand listening to a constant row of someone else’s music choices and presenters......

There was a guy called Ludovic Kennedy, (he would be regarded as "well up himself" today) got into a load of trouble for calling disc jockeys chat - "the mindless meanderings of the mid-morning morons" (has a lovely ring to though eh?) "The last of the anyway boys" was another of his - referring to the manner many make a break - or did - most now use the Americanism "moving on" which never fails to annoy me intensely.

And Greylegs = I see that the research in your link only relies on observations - there's been quite a lot of quantitive work done on the relaxing effects of music on milking cows - the milking parlour being the only place where "let down" is a positive thing! It's general accepted to be a measurable benefit but machine milking is quite a noisey business.