The usual Yard A yard B question..

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Recently moved house- finding the longer journey to current yard quite boring and struggling with money, wondered WWYD? I've been where I am for a year and a half, (owned horse two years-ish)

Yard A Pros

-Huge amound of grazing, current field is at least 30acres
-Amazing hacking (I hack a lot so this is very important)
-Two lovely schools
-My favorite instructor teaches there regularly as has brought my horse on really nicely
-Cafe on site that does amazing cake
-My brother has a garage there so I get to see my family a lot
-Horse is verrrrrrrryy happy here and settled (as am i!)- but he is the kind of horse that would probably be settled in a car park...

Yard A Cons

-No horse can be left out alone (I know this is a normal rule) but nobody at the yard seems to have a job, so in winter all horses are usually in by 2pm and mine is "the one" that people can't possibly leave out (Hes fine on his own), meaning I get charged £3-4.50 a day for a bring in as I don't get to the yard until 6:30.
-Very very expensive due to the amount of services I use (and then the other bits on top that I get charged for even though I don't particularly want the services done!)
-35 minute drive from home, so using a lot of fuel too
-Expensive trailer storage- but very good security

Yard B Pros

-Cheaper (£25 cheaper rent, cheaper hay and wouldn't use services)
-Closer, only a 10 min drive
-Other liveries work- so sympathize with working hours!
-24/7 turnout in summer
-Good hacking- but probably not as good as where I am
-Well maintained fields
-Own Tackroom/feed room
-Cheaper trailer storage- security nothing on current yard but there are a few people that live on the yard and big locked iron gates everywhere
-Wouldn't need services so would see my horse more!

Yard B Cons

-Restricted turnout for 2 months a year to save fields- all horses in for 3 days a week
-Im scared il move, not be happy and then not be able to get back on my last yard (it has a long waiting list)
-Very quiet....almost too quiet!
-My favorite instructor wouldn't drive out that far
-Yard doesn't provide services at all- I do have a friend at the yard who could help out if needed, but I don't like to rely on people (as I don't like feeling as though I owe people!)

Amirah

Visit site
Yard B has an extra 'con' and in three days a week doesn't sound great. I think you'd miss your brother, fab hacking and the cake! Suggest stick with yard a and switch car for something really economical ☺

P.S. Teach brother to bring in horse for you in exchange for cake ☺

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yard B has an extra 'con' and in three days a week doesn't sound great. I think you'd miss your brother, fab hacking and the cake! Suggest stick with yard a and switch car for something really economical ☺

P.S. Teach brother to bring in horse for you in exchange for cake ☺

This ^ and think of the times where you really need services (holiday or sick, or work meeting) and your friend isn't at yard B for one reason or another.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Thanks all- this is interesting as in "real life" everyone is a definite yard B, this makes it even harder!

Can't yet move house again as this is the cheapest place to rent and only a short walk to work- but in future would want to move back nearer yard A!

paddi22

Visit site
yeah i wouldn't take 'the friend providing services' into the equation at all. Those things can change in a second with illness/circumstances etc. If the friend wasn't there would you be stuck?

I'd stick to a as it sounds like a lovely yard.

Annagain

Visit site
Restricted turnout is a real no go for me (3 days will often turn into 4 or 5 or 6 in bad weather) so I'd stick with A and get your brother to get the horse in. Or could you come to an arrangement with another livery so you put their horse out in the morning and they get your horse in with theirs or vice versa (preferably vice versa so they're out longer) so you don't have to pay to have him brought in? Or talk to YO and ask if he can stay out as you know he's happy on his own, so won't trash the field and the cost is making you consider moving. They might feel it's worth it to keep you if you're a good livery?

If you're eventually planning on moving back close to the yard, I'd stick it out while you're further away. It'll pay off in the long run.

bisou

Visit site
Just a suggestion as you mentioned you're worried about not being able to get back on your current yard... Could you not pay for an extra month's livery at your current yard to give you a month (or 2 months depending on how the notice policy works) to play with? I did this when I moved yards earlier this year and although a few people said it was a waste of money and just to make a decision and stick with it, I'm so glad I did because it took the pressure off. I know it's a lot of money to throw away if you stay but not compared to the cost of being stuck on a yard you don't like! Good luck whatever you decide.

wiglet

Visit site
I'd be inclined to stay at yard A and try to make it work better. Can your brother bring in? Can you team up with another livery - you turn out, she brings in? Would it work out cheaper to have part livery there (assuming they do part livery) rather than have to pay for individual services?
The 2 months of restricted turnout at yard B would be a big no-no for me. 3 days can turn into 4/5 days, 2 months can turn into 3 months sometimes! Good luck whatever you decide.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Just a suggestion as you mentioned you're worried about not being able to get back on your current yard... Could you not pay for an extra month's livery at your current yard to give you a month (or 2 months depending on how the notice policy works) to play with? I did this when I moved yards earlier this year and although a few people said it was a waste of money and just to make a decision and stick with it, I'm so glad I did because it took the pressure off. I know it's a lot of money to throw away if you stay but not compared to the cost of being stuck on a yard you don't like! Good luck whatever you decide.

If I had the money I would do this without any question- however my reasoning for thinking of moving in the first place is because of money troubles-I have money set aside for emergency vet fees etc but want to keep those for that purpose only!

Current Yard bill is always around the £300 mark (for DIY)
New yard would be half that

In a similar sort of way I'm thinking that because i'm in the naff stable that they wouldn't fill it quickly as it was turned down a few times before I went there, so maybe I would get a bit of leeway anyway... (on a stable of 80 stables my horse is literally in a converted shed haha)

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I do really move then I would really think about doing that

bisou

Visit site
If I had the money I would do this without any question- however my reasoning for thinking of moving in the first place is because of money troubles-I have money set aside for emergency vet fees etc but want to keep those for that purpose only!

Current Yard bill is always around the £300 mark (for DIY)
New yard would be half that

In a similar sort of way I'm thinking that because i'm in the naff stable that they wouldn't fill it quickly as it was turned down a few times before I went there, so maybe I would get a bit of leeway anyway... (on a stable of 80 stables my horse is literally in a converted shed haha)

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I do really move then I would really think about doing that

I see, fair enough! That's quite a bit more than I paid so I can see why you'd be reluctant!! It sounds like it may well be that they wouldn't fill it as quickly anyway then. If it's any help when I was trying to decide whether to move or not, I made a list of pros/cons too and just talked to as many people as would listen to me and asked their advice... if I was arguing with them for one yard over another, or felt disappointed when I got one answer over another from someone, it was clear what I really wanted deep down. I took the plunge to move yards and am really happy where I am, although it's taken me a good few months to decide I do love it! But I think it's really individual what your priorities are (ie good turnout or good facilities or good hacking or good livery services etc). If you end up not liking it, your yard owner may bump you up the waiting list a bit as they know you're a good, reliable livery, or you could always look for a different yard - one way or another I'm sure it'll work out for you.

applecart14

Visit site
When they are charging between three and four quid to bring in is that for picking out feet changing rug and washing legs? could u not forgo those things and just ask to bring in at a cheaper rate and do the other things yourself? Saving money on fuel use supermarket garage make sure tyres are well inflated, drive differently and take weight out of boot will all save a bit x

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
When they are charging between three and four quid to bring in is that for picking out feet changing rug and washing legs? could u not forgo those things and just ask to bring in at a cheaper rate and do the other things yourself? Saving money on fuel use supermarket garage make sure tyres are well inflated, drive differently and take weight out of boot will all save a bit x

£3 is to "dump" the horse- so to put him from the field in to the stable and nothing else, no rug changes or hoof picking (this is generally the one they do if my horse is last out and needs to be dumped- i have said hes fine out alone but "it's the rules", which is unfortunate!)
£4.50 is the hoof pick as well and change rug if you have specified you want the rug changing

Have just found out that new yard does do services but they don't advertise them for a regular thing, just for holidays/sick days etc - they are £2 for turn out and bring in so cheaper again

I think the main downside to me leaving would be losing the social side, and with so much going on at the yard of 80 horses my pony always has something to watch out of the stable door- but that's me humanizing him i think!!

Theocat

Visit site
Yard A sounds much the best - but an extra hour travelling a day, and extra costs of three figures a month, have to be a factor. Are there any other options?

Bessi

Visit site
Not helpful but I would have a serious issue with paying £3 a day to have my horse brought in because of the 'rules' if he is fine out alone and I was happy with him being left out, assuming you work 5 days a week thats £60 pcm which would bring the price much closer to Yard B. Are they not prepared to be flexible on this at all?

Lyle

Visit site
Well, knowing now that Yard B offers basic services if you're ill or on holidays, I'm probably more inclined to go yard B. The only legitimate con I can see is the restricted turnout, the others are your personal worries. If you have more spare cash, could you not take your horse to a spot where your instructor would drive to? Yard A sounds absolutely lovely, and a real dream, but if it is putting you under financial pressure and costing you over an hour a day in driving, I can't really see its loveliness outweighing those big considerations.

JJS

Visit site
I would never choose to keep mine anywhere with restricted turnout, so I'd also be in the Yard A camp.

gnubee

Visit site
Yard b. In sometimes in winter is better than (paying extra for) severely restricted turnout in summer if he's coming in hours earlier than he needs to. For me would require yard b to have a school - not sure if that's important to you.

Also have you checked there is nothing you can do to get your instructor out to b. perhaps less frequently til you settle with someone else. The savings on your yard might help you compensate her additional travel, or if she goes out to anyone relatively near you she might be willing to add you on if you can be flexible on timings.

Last edited:

shadowboy

Visit site
See I'm for yard B. I hate having money worries and that would make me feel both guilty and unhappy spending it on my horse. £300 is what I paid for part livery.

If what you said is true that it's only 2 months of the year that it's restricted to 3 days a week that's not bad- I've been on yards where there was no warning that they would close fields- at least they are being honest and admitting this is their policy first up. Personally I also like a quiet yard and the thought of 80 horses on one yard would put me off- how easy is it to use the school. Also surely if you are having money worries eating slices of cake there aren't helping?

An hour each day in the car is a lot of horse time you are missing. £300 is a lot for a 'converted shed that no one really wanted'

I love my hobby but I hate debt more so I would make the compromise and move.

shadowboy

Visit site
I would never choose to keep mine anywhere with restricted turnout, so I'd also be in the Yard A camp.

See the way I see it yard A is inadvertently restricted- coming in at 2pm means if you add up all the stables hours in a year it would actually be fairly similar to having 24/7 turnout in summer and two months on 3 day a week turnout?

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Yard b. In sometimes in winter is better than (paying extra for) severely restricted turnout in summer if he's coming in hours earlier than he needs to. For me would require yard b to have a school - not sure if that's important to you.

Also have you checked there is nothing you can do to get your instructor out to b. perhaps less frequently til you settle with someone else. The savings on your yard might help you compensate her additional travel, or if she goes out to anyone relatively near you she might be willing to add you on if you can be flexible on timings.

Sorry forgot to say- yes Yard B also has a lovely big school with jumps etc

instructor lives over an hour away from now so unlikely she will ever drive that far- however she does run "jump camps" now so i can attend those to get my fix i guess!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
See the way I see it yard A is inadvertently restricted- coming in at 2pm means if you add up all the stables hours in a year it would actually be fairly similar to having 24/7 turnout in summer and two months on 3 day a week turnout?

Never thought of it like this! The other two liveries have been at the farm for 4 and 20 years and have said it's never been more than 3 days in for 2 months in winter so I should trust that.

I will stick it out at yard A for a bit longer and see if I get used to or get totally bored of the drive (and will see how broke i am in a few months, as only moved a month ago so hit with all the big bills.)

All of these comments are great for weighing it all up though- thanks all!

LouisCat

Visit site
For me I would go with B. I couldn't stand an hour of driving just to see my horse and and paying twice the price.
My horses have 24/7 turnout however in the winter we regularly have to (out of choice not being forced by rules) restrict their time outside due to the fields being very wet.