The value of a schoolmaster?

Dovorian

Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy a 16yo horse who's a real schoolmaster, Garde B SJ Elem Dr and good XC to boot. Why the dilemma you may well ask, his owner wants £3500 for him including a saddle + usual rugs - 2 people I respect say this is too much and they would offer less than half that! My head tells me that they have ulterior motives here as they don't need a schoolmaster and that should I be persuaded to buy something beyond me they can bail me out!!

The minus is my head is insurance as I bet I'll have grief!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Perhaps a bit too much. I'd offer them a little less.....

Saying that I think you shouldn't under value a horse that has done it all, especially if they are relatively easy, just for being 16.

I think you could pay double that for a 9 year old and they could injure themselves, or deveop a problem just as easily. If it's the horse you want and you get on well with him, then go for it.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
If this horse is a true schoolmaster then I honestly think that is a fair price (especially including the saddle and rugs). If I was looking for a schoolmaster I wouldn't think twice about paying that, this horse could have another 10 years plus of riding life in him!

MDJO

Visit site
I paid £3k for a 15 year old dr. schoolmaster (245 points) without any tack or rugs - had 5 excellent years with him and he was worth every penny and some. That price sounds very good

pottamus

Visit site
I think that is a fair price for a schoolmaster so long as that is what he is...I would be more than happy to pay that for a horse I could just go out and have fun on straight away with no 'issues'. Go for it!

cariad

Visit site
I paid £3500 for an 18 year old 16.1hh Advanced Medium dressage horse, no tack or rugs, 4 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I still have him. I didn't even haggle over the price. He came from Scotland (advertised in H&H)and I bought him unseen, untried and unvetted, apart from seeing a video. He was exactly as described, lovely temperament, hacks out, clips, boxes etc no trouble, does all lateral work, changes, passage etc, is an absolute star. I do not insure him; they either last or they don't, is mostly the luck of the draw, though he is very well looked after and not over worked. He was an intermediate eventer before turning to dressage.

True schoolmasters are as rare as hen's teeth, especially at that price and worth their weight in gold. My instructor has several elderly schoolmasters, aged 22-28 who are still bouncing around like spring chickens. it might take them a little while to get going, but they're fine once warmed up. They too are carefully looked after and not overworked.

If he is genuine, then sounds a bargain. Having said that, the decision has to be yours!

Andelusional

Visit site
Have just lookd at a schoolmaster at Adv Medium at £9000 and seeing another at 17.000. The value of the years of training you buy is far far greater and more valuable than the horse itself. Go ahead if this horse rings all your bells

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that this is a fantastic price - regardless of the fact that it comes with rugs etc.

If this is the sort of horse you are after then I would definately go for it.