The value of lessons on a dressage school-master

Helga1980

Visit site
Are lessons on a school master of value for the average rider?

I'm going to be buying my own horse in the new year and am thinking of having some lessons on a schoolmaster between now and then to experience how a well schooled horse should feel on the flat.

I'm worried about looking silly as I'm a bog standard riding club rider (no offence to anyone
crazy.gif
) who does the odd dressage test for fun! I just want to feel what a truely balanced horse rides like and how my seat etc. impacts upon it.

Do you need to be working at a 'high' level yourself to get value from a schoolmaster? Where do people recommend in South Wales / South West?

teapot

Visit site
I'm lucky that my RS horses consist of an ex-advanced eventer, a elementary dressage and a grand prix horse. Really really helps IMHO

It's certainly allowed me to learn what feels right and wrong and the best way of asking for whatever you want.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I think 100% absolutely!

I had a lesson on a dressage schoolmaster a while back and it really helped me feel what I was aiming for on my horse! It’s difficult sometimes when you are both (me and the horse) are learning. It’s the same reason why I have my instructor school Otto for me.

I was worried about not being experienced enough, but if the instructor is good they will be more then happy to work at whatever level you want to work too.

I'm in Kent so can't recommend anyone but if you ever are down this way I know a fantastic place!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Totally - my old yard had taken a dressage horse 'in retirement' - he had one outing this year and my YO (5 months pregnant at the time won the Riding Club advanced open on him....)

when I exercised him for the first few times I couldn't get him to canter.....apparently cos what I was actually asking him for was extending trot!!!!
It's so good to understand exactly what the signals you are senidng to him are actually telling the horse (in my case usually 'I haven't a clue what I'm doing!!)

lilpete

Visit site
I recommend it 100% too, having had an advanced horse myself, it helped me so much. Everyone who had lessons on him said it helped them loads too.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yes, go for it!!!

I had some earlier this year and in 6 sessions I felt like my riding had improved about 100 fold - no exaggeration! You would not believe how much I learnt from a few sessions on a genuine schoolmaster (and by that I mean something that really knows its stuff, not a riding school horse). It really helped how I rode my own horse as well, he went so much better after I'd been elsewhere. I started to get the feel for how things *should* feel and was able to start transferring it to my own horse.

Go for it!!! I loved riding a real school master and would love to find somewhere near me now to have more lessons on one, just doesn't seem to be anywhere nearby
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Absolutely!! Without question!

I had the opportunity to ride a Prix St. Georges horse many years ago......I jumped at the chance. Wow!! It was the ride of a lifetime! Absolutely amazing being able to put the knowledge you have gained from books, talks etc into practice.

You will NEVER regret it!

M_G

Visit site
I had a ride on my instructors PSG horse I thought I was asking for turn on the forehand but we went backwards vv fast
blush.gif

luckilly instructor found it amusing (i dropped contact & he stopped) it certainly helps to refine your aids go fo it you will love it
M x

kerrylou123

Visit site
i rode my old bosses ex advanced eventer, not a dressage horse, but still well school in the dressage field! He was an absolute darling to ride! loved every second of it (and apparently i rode him better than the yard owner). My horse is able to do extended trot, flying changes, halfpass etc, but it felt so much easier on the other horse, but was extremely hard to sit to the trot!