The way dogs react to you hurting them?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Accidentally of course. All ours react in the same way but little Basil to the extreme.
For example this evening I was in the kitchen and stepped back standing on his tail (I think)
He screamed I span round and apologised!
He then gets really excited and wants lots of fuss. Even some time later he’s really waggy and trying to lick my face.
They all seem to actively enjoy being hurt, obviously they don’t so why do they react so happily afterwards ?‍♀️

misst

Visit site
My anxious boy will growl and show his teeth (never ever bites) then lie down wag his tail and "smile" appeasingly. He thinks everything is his fault. My confident girl yelps and looks upset and offended and allows you to stroke her and say sorry but then goes off to sulk. I don't think they wag to be happy I think it is a way of trying to put things right even it is not their fault.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's not enjoyment/happiness, it's appeasement behaviour, 'if I'm all waggy and cute and sweet and put my ears back and make the big eyes then you/the thing will be distracted and won't hurt me again'. It's evolution, the same as why those captive foxes developed to have floppy ears and pretty colours etc to appear attractive to humans, therefore at less risk of harm.

With mine, it depends on the context, if it's sudden/perceived as unfair, two of mine will come back at me, but I know to expect/redirect. It's just genetics.
The other one just howls.
They're all drama queens in the moment but recover quickly, resilience is important in this house ?

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
Pip doesn’t remotely care, he’s tiny - being squashed is part of life for him ?

Lucy screams the place down, continues screaming, falls to the ground, tells everyone her final wishes, screams some more. Then 5 minutes later she’s doing the wall of death until you notice her and she repeats the above ?

meleeka

Visit site
My terrier squeals and acts like you killed him then insists on being allowed multiple cuddles.
My lurcher is basically a dog version of Dobby from Harry Potter and apologies profusely and then cringes around me for the rest of the day, makes me feel terrible!

My two are the same! The JRT is very offended, yet the German Shepherd almost begs for forgiveness ?

Btomkins

Visit site
Doberman pup doesn’t care or seem to notice. This evening I violently shook a mayonnaise bottle trying to get the last of it out without realising she was stood right next to me. Bopped her right on the nose with some force and mad a good cracking sound ? Felt awful but not sure she actually noticed!

SAujla

Visit site
Very waggy tail and appears to act like she thinks she's in the wrong. She often gets a luxury treat such is the guilt I feel for the look on her face. I do wonder if she's just a good actor.... ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Mine cowers like you've done it on purpose if you tread on her. But she's very forgiving and she is the most loving dog I've ever known, last night I was in tears because I was upset, everything was getting on top of me and the next thing I know there was a wet nose kissing my tears. She really is very lovely so if I do accidentally hurt her I go out of my way to give her lots of fuss in return.

BallyJ

Visit site
The Lab goes all doe eyed and dobby eared!
The JRT goes after the nearest animal to her - usually the lab and we have to intervene.

pistolpete

Visit site
We just get the screech of death from the lurcher. I suppose the ones that smile and wag their tails are appeasing pack senior. They are hard wired to get along usually aren’t they? Gotta love em.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'm clumsy and we live in a small space so I do occasionally bop him. I feel awful, he doesn't really care!

alibali

Visit site
Almost 5 years ago when he was a bouncy young pup I accidentally caught his tail as I closed the car boot. Today this day he cowers at the back of the boot while I close it, even though it's a different car. Makes me feel guilty on an almost daily basis!!!