The woo that is horse shopping

cundlegreen

Visit site
I'm shopping too. I've now seen 32 horses. Despite being very picky on the phone it's nuts the lies people tell. Over half have been lame, some either too nuts or too tense I wouldn't get on. Some much bigger than described.
one failed vet. Turns out I had a lucky escape as it's just come to light she was deemed as dangerous as a 3 yr old.
I've travelled 2.5hrs to say your story doesn't add up, goodbye. (Horse was lame too)

I nearly had another one vetted but luckily I video me riding, when I got home it was showing a few lame steps.

My friend bought the first one she saw, nice type from an Irish importer but turns out to be 4 not 7

I'm off to see 2 more today, was supposed to be 3 but 3rd one only has a field and too wet to do anything

I'very lost all faith in horsey people being nice and beginning to lose the will to keep searching

This makes me so cross, not with you Op, but with the sellers. If I have one to sell, I'll make sure that there are confo pics, and a video of the horse at a bare minimum. If somebody is coming a long way, I always offer to put them up and give them the option of doing everything with the horse. I don't sell many (although I am overstocked at the moment), but I do want to get a good match, and if I'm not happy with the partnership, I won't sell the horse to them. I like to think that the new owner will be so happy with their purchase, keep the horse for years and keep in touch with me about progress. That's in a perfect world!

kassieg

Visit site
I'm shopping too. I've now seen 32 horses. Despite being very picky on the phone it's nuts the lies people tell. Over half have been lame, some either too nuts or too tense I wouldn't get on. Some much bigger than described.
one failed vet. Turns out I had a lucky escape as it's just come to light she was deemed as dangerous as a 3 yr old.
I've travelled 2.5hrs to say your story doesn't add up, goodbye. (Horse was lame too)

I nearly had another one vetted but luckily I video me riding, when I got home it was showing a few lame steps.

My friend bought the first one she saw, nice type from an Irish importer but turns out to be 4 not 7

I'm off to see 2 more today, was supposed to be 3 but 3rd one only has a field and too wet to do anything

I'very lost all faith in horsey people being nice and beginning to lose the will to keep searching

Purely out of interest what price range & type are you looking for ?
Just trying to work out how so many people do not realise there horses are lame!!

Cannot understand why people lie over the phone, your going to find out when you get there & then its a waste of their time & yours.

I'm literally baffled! Bless you is all i can say!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
It is very scary!
Placed a wanted add for the type of horse I'm looking for. Stated safe/sound/sane. My riding aim is to get to BE100. Had a lady try to offer me her horse who recently broke his pelvis and is currently recovering from a tendon strain!! She wasn't very happy when I said she should just consider loaning him as a hack as he wasn't suitable as a competition horse!!
This is who I tried yesterday http://youtu.be/yu-ukGp52K8 so sweet and lovely. But I think her jump is to much for me

Last edited:

VioletFlower

Visit site
It is very scary!
Placed a wanted add for the type of horse I'm looking for. Stated safe/sound/sane. My riding aim is to get to BE100. Had a lady try to offer me her horse who recently broke his pelvis and is currently recovering from a tendon strain!! She wasn't very happy when I said she should just consider loaning him as a hack as he wasn't suitable as a competition horse!!
This is who I tried yesterday http://youtu.be/yu-ukGp52K8 so sweet and lovely. But I think her jump is to much for me

She doesn't over jump, is it the pop of her quartets that you felt? could you get used to it? You want a jumper after all

crabbymare

Visit site
if she went the same as that with you she jumps nicely so it could just be that she makes a better bascule than you are used to?

kassieg

Visit site
I don't think she over jumps, she's got a nice jump but don't think its too extravagant, i think you would get used to ger quite easily !! :)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
My instructor really likes the look of her, said I would get used to her quickly. Plus I would take her to her yard for a few days to have an intensive week of lessons.

kassieg

Visit site
My instructor really likes the look of her, said I would get used to her quickly. Plus I would take her to her yard for a few days to have an intensive week of lessons.

I honestly think give you a month together & you won't even think about her jump it will just become normal. :) i really like her as a horse from what i can tell from the video, seems very genuine & willing !

I would seriously consider her if the only thing holding you back was the jump :)

POMPOMS89

New User
Visit site
I have retired my perfect boy due to arthritis and related issues. Got on the hunt for a new horse. Had a failed vetting, got told a couple of porkies about ones id travelled a long way to see. Eventually decided to go for a gorgeous weanling colt that caught my eye, not had a youngster in a few years so was looking forward to it all. Sent the deposit, went to view fell in love with a two year old filly (not a mare person in the slightest) and that's the weirdest horse purchase ive ever made. But suitable riding horses in budget truthfully advertised are hard to find! Hope fate intervenes and yours finds you xxxx although I see you may be sorted xxx good luck xxx

Last edited:

twodonkies

Visit site
I feel the shame as nutty chestnut, need to move north, and be smaller- there seems to be loads of horses up north within my budget, but they are too far away , I am based south wales. And, just this week seeing loads of 16 hand horses who look lovely, but too small for me. I get fed up when you ask for videos, and you either don't get anything, or what you do get is such poor quality its a waste of time. only one when I enquired actually had a front on shot of horse trotting towards camera so you could see it was straight, unfortunately this one had sarcoids, but at least they were honest about this before I travelled to see it (would have been over 2 hours one way). Don't get me going about vettings, I have unfortunately retired my younger horse, I purchased nearly 2 years ago with a vetting but not by my own vet. Turns out I don't think it would have passed a vetting if my own vet had looked at it. Because of this, I only want my vet to do a vetting. If anyone knows of anything minimum 16.1, gelding, age 4-8 years, not lame, sarcoids or nuts, point me in the right direction!

rachk89

Visit site
I spent ages looking online at horses, and then one weekend just got a list of local livery and riding schools in the area and just went out asking if they had horses for sale. That's how I found my horse and I have yet to hear a bad word said about him (that's even after he figured out how to crawl underneath the electric fencing to escape and taught other horses the same thing!). Maybe just try that one weekend, get names of places in the area that seem decent and just go and ask. You have nothing to lose and word gets round quicker that way. You may find your perfect horse with little searching, I only tried 4 horses that way. Good luck finding one.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
No I am still horseless, long story but she wasn't suitable for my needs.
Has anyone else got any good news??
I keep on getting told it is a buyers' market, but I really don't feel like it is!
Put an offer on a nice sales livery my instructor has in, still discussing the sale price, so he might be mine soon. If not I was thinking about checking out Irish Horse Imports as they seem to have less green horses. I am now at the point of being completely jealous of all my horse owning friends as they have their special friend and I don't :( Yes I sound like a spoilt brat but this is the longest I haven't had a horse in the last 17 years, I feel like I have really lost my right arm.

asommerville

Visit site
I have news - horse huntin is pants! I just lost my Arab X Id; I had a list of what I didn't want (including a warm blood) and a list of what I did - went to see a few horses last weekend (including a not so lovely gelding who BOLTED with me and resulted in me having to buy another p2 canister) and found a nice mare who ticked all the boxes apart from being you guessed it a warm blood......she passed a 5 stage vetting yesterday and comes home with me tomorrow!! So while I am sorry you are still looking I am currently verging between panic and excitement at finding another horse!!!!

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I am *fingers crossed* about to purchase EXACTLY what you want! If it falls through or I find something else (not that I will!) before vetting I will put you in touch. She is absolutely fabulous :) :) :)

Bernster

Visit site
Reading through some of these posts about lame horses, it does make me wonder how many are known to be lame, with unscrupulous owners hoping the viewer won't realise, and how many owners maybe just don't even realise their horse is lame. Scary prospect either way ! I hope everyone finds their perfect horse soon!

Holliehope

Visit site
Defiantly feel your pain I have so many clients looking for horses I spend most my time on the road looking and being disappointed I've now become very picky about what I do bother to go see and I used to travel any where and was always trekking up north but there no better up there lol
What area are you in ? May be if I see something not suitable for us might do you and vise versa lol
I do have if any one knows who wants one a super 14hh who is just so safe and good he has been out grown buy his little mummy and now they are looking. For another grr another to add to my list 😂

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I am *fingers crossed* about to purchase EXACTLY what you want! If it falls through or I find something else (not that I will!) before vetting I will put you in touch. She is absolutely fabulous :) :) :)
Good luck! I'm not even going to acknowledge that it might fall through 😉😉😉

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Defiantly feel your pain I have so many clients looking for horses I spend most my time on the road looking and being disappointed I've now become very picky about what I do bother to go see and I used to travel any where and was always trekking up north but there no better up there lol
What area are you in ? May be if I see something not suitable for us might do you and vise versa lol
I do have if any one knows who wants one a super 14hh who is just so safe and good he has been out grown buy his little mummy and now they are looking. For another grr another to add to my list 😂
Yeah I've now left the desperate/happy to go with an open mind stage and need videos. However when will it be common to send a video of them doing the following walk and trot in hand, all tree paces on the lunge, 3 paces under saddle and a jump/s?
Yes please, I'm in Wiltshire, where are you? Feel free to PM me. I do know of a very nice mare, suitable for junior teams but she has the very nice price tag to go with her!! There are some nice ones to be had but I always seem to be the person missing them!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Don't know if you saw my post about Irish Sport Horses, not sure know whether to go to have a look? I'm not a complete novice but I would like some time to make a sound decision.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
it’s really a hideous process and I don’t think FB helps. It’s all too easy for dreamers, con artists and silly young girls to write up decent sounding adverts, I refuse to travel huge distances these days as well having wasted so much time and money doing that. Id rather wait until something comes up that is known or through connections, get the word out that you are looking for something as widely as you can.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Subject to vetting, I will be a horse owner again very shortly!! I have found the most lovely 9 year old gelding who will hopefully take me up the grades has he already evented up to novice level. I'm in love already 😍😍

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Subject to vetting, I will be a horse owner again very shortly!! I have found the most lovely 9 year old gelding who will hopefully take me up the grades has he already evented up to novice level. I'm in love already ����

Yay! Good luck!

We just bought one too. Although I wanted a been there seen it type, we seem to have bought a huge baby, but hey, she is nice :)

Holliehope

Visit site
Yay! Good luck!

We just bought one too. Although I wanted a been there seen it type, we seem to have bought a huge baby, but hey, she is nice :)

Funny how we all do that go buy the complete opposite to what we wanted lol
Baby's are great though and saves you having to deal with other people's schooling mistakes

Flame_

Visit site
I'm doing pretty much the same. I wanted something backed that was already hacking out but have left deposit on a beautiful three year old who did a very good impression of a horse who's never had his legs touched or feet picked up, lol… but he is beautiful :)

Brilliant news OP, good luck with the vetting!

Holliehope

Visit site
I'm doing pretty much the same. I wanted something backed that was already hacking out but have left deposit on a beautiful three year old who did a very good impression of a horse who's never had his legs touched or feet picked up, lol… but he is beautiful :)

Brilliant news OP, good luck with the vetting!

Sounds like me and my horse ! I've just brought stupidly a completely wild 16,2hh warmblood and oh my have I got my work cut out ��
One very good thing though she's teaching me lots and that's what it's all about

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I stuck to my guns about what I wanted, just had to be flexible and give up on the grassroots dream. He has points so I'm just going to have to jump bigger to make up for it!!
Vetting is booked for tomorrow morning so everything is crossed.
Good luck with your babies, I tried it last time and realised that I didn't have the guts to take on a rearing and kicking 17.2hh! His issues however were related to pain, had that not been the issue he would have been amazing!
I feel so lucky to have been able to afford such a horse on my budget, he's like a massive pony.

Annagain

Visit site
Do you want a youngster or would a slightly older horse be ok? I know of a nice mare for sale in Cardiff. I think she's about 9. I can PM you details if that's not too old?

ETA - Sorry just seen your other post. That'll teach me to skim read. Ignore me