Theft of bute

Pc2003

Visit site
I had a new box of bute couple of months ago. Haven't had to use it so was stored away in my box at yard. Went to get some today and there are only 12 sachets there. Box was 32.
There have been issues with theft at the yard for a while. Feed, hay, tack etc.
There are several big waste bins at yard and I have turned them all out. In one of them is quite a few empty screwed up bute sachets.
Does anyone know if a box of bute will all have the same serial number on them? Will all the sachets have the same number?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I had a new box of bute couple of months ago. Haven't had to use it so was stored away in my box at yard. Went to get some today and there are only 12 sachets there. Box was 32.
There are several big waste bins at yard and I have turned them all out. In one of them is quite a few empty screwed up bute sachets.
Does anyone know if a box of bute will all have the same serial number on them? Will all the sachets have the same number?

Do all your remaining sachets have the same number on them?

QueenDee_

Visit site
Stealing a hoofpick is one thing, but imo stealing bute is definitely several steps on😳

I'd imagine there'd be a batch number that the whole box shares? See if the sachets you have left share a serial number.

Pc2003

Visit site
I moved my remaining bute immediately to somewhere else and can't check it till tomorrow but all the sachets i found in the bins later have the same number on them. I also found a few other random sachets in different bins that had different numbers on them which makes sense as people obviously have there own bute that they use legitimately.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

Seriously, why do you allow this? You say yourself there's issues with theft so why didn't you lock it up? Your vet might know the answer to the question about serial numbers.

Pc2003

Visit site
It was actually in a locked tack box. with chain and padlock. I don't go into it much. It's sometimes left open if I am out at field or in the school or if I'm getting stuff out
I realised today when in the box that you can still open the lid a little bit if you jiggle the chain around a bit

Pc2003

Visit site
Any way of finding out who the thief is, maybe get local plod to call round when yard is busy, theft is theft.

There are a few people I think it may be. Someone was kicked out of their prev yard for apparently stealing feed (all hearsay tho) and someone who needed bute for their horse but couldn't get any as had not paid prev vets bill (again hearsay)

I may well report to police

Pc2003

Visit site
No it's fair to say there are some unsavoury folk at the yard.
Everyone is so nice to your face it's difficult to see someone doing it but someone obviously is.
There are 3 or 4 that suit themselves and the old farmer owner doesn't really get involved. Everyone else is fine and lovely and normal.
I don't tend to get involved with all the yard politics and keep myself to myself but this is the first time it's happened to me.
But yes a yard move is a consideration now

AmieeT

Visit site
I would expect the batch number to be the same on all in the box, and I would expect it to be printed on the box itself by the expiry date.

Hope the culprit is found, how frustrating!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
So long as the box was the original box the bute came in, then each sachet of bute within the box will contain the same serial number and this will match the serial number written externally on the box. Both should also have the same exp.dates on them.

Your vet should also have a record of the serial numbers of the bute you have been given.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It would be a very big coincidence if someone else managed to buy a box with the same batch numbers on it. You'll need to speak to your vet who will have a record of all they have sold with those batch numbers, and the police I think.

For instance I have bought several of the same medicines from the vet at one time and rarely got the same batch numbers (I have to record them all for use with livestock) on the same stuff bought at the same time and that's my experience over a 15 year period of buying POMs!

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
So long as the box was the original box the bute came in, then each sachet of bute within the box will contain the same serial number and this will match the serial number written externally on the box. Both should also have the same exp.dates on them.

Your vet should also have a record of the serial numbers of the bute you have been given.

Dont be surprised if you tell your vet that they may not let you have anymore as your security was not good enough ! It is highly likely that if another livery had a supply of bute from the same vet or even vets using the same supplier that the batch numbers would be the same as they run large volumes in a batch. For example we have been using an AB for the cattle and for the last 12 months the Batch numbers are the same from the Vet. I would be very careful about accusing anybody on just batch number evidence. Also if you report to police you may indeed be investigated for lack of keeping the drugs secure.

I know its not nice but its hardly crime of the century and may have consequences for you if reported just keep them more secure in future. I am always amazed looking in feed rooms the number of POM meds that are on show when we (on farm ) would be prosecuted straight away for not keeping them locked up. I am sure you would argue they were, but clearly not secure enough.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The theft is nasty. But I have to ask what your vet is doing giving you a complete box of bute, a POM, when you didn't need it? Mine lets me have ten for my emergency store, but I wouldn't expect a vet to be handing out several weeks of POM for a horse that isn't using it.

I have a bit of a 'thing' about bute being used like aspirin and horses being treated with it without consulting a vet. There are conditions that can be made a lot worse by giving a bit of bute.

Pc2003

Visit site
The theft is nasty. But I have to ask what your vet is doing giving you a complete box of bute, a POM, when you didn't need it? Mine lets me have ten for my emergency store, but I wouldn't expect a vet to be handing out several weeks of POM for a horse that isn't using it.

I have a bit of a 'thing' about bute being used like aspirin and horses being treated with it without consulting a vet. There are conditions that can be made a lot worse by giving a bit of bute.

Horse has spavins and he has a bit of bute if he is being ridden straight from the stable or has to stay in for any length of time

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Horse has spavins and he has a bit of bute if he is being ridden straight from the stable or has to stay in for any length of time

That's fair enough then. What nasty people to steal his meds :(

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

Assuming the yard all have access to these bins then even if you know these were your bute it doesn't really get you any further as whatever your suspicions are, you don't have any proof of who took it. I found things going missing an issue on a few big yards but you have to be careful how it's handled. I've also seen situations where people are sure who the culprit it and accusations flying around and got quite nasty only to be proved wrong.

I think your main options are move or try and lock it away in a position that it can't be accessed by opening the lid a little and difficult to find.