There are sme decent motorists out there

Natz88

Visit site
I was out on my 6yr old this afternoon who is fine in traffic we was coming along this road on our way home when a motorbike turned into the road heading towards us he was a long way off when he stopped his bike turned it off put it on it's stand & just sat there. I thought he had some problem with the bike, but when I reached him he said 'I turned my bike off as it's very loud & I didn't want to risk upsetting your horse'. He was so nice I thanked him loads, bet he thought alrite love I only turned my bike off haha :p

So there are some good people out there :D

Sorry pointless post, just thought it was good to have a good post about some drivers :)

hnmisty

Visit site
Aaw :)
I often find motorcyclists are really decent when you pass them- guess they feel more vulnerable than car drivers. I had a few at home who would stop halfway up the hill when they saw me coming in the other direction, and turn their engines off. I used to thank them...and then they couldn't get started again and would have to wheel back down to the bottom of the hill!

Abacus

Visit site
Not long ago the oil delivery man stopped, turned his engine off and gave our horses his apple from his lunchbox. Thank you Nolan Oils!!!

DubbleTrubble

Visit site
I've come across lots of really nice motorists recently, not a single unpleasant one. It must be the summer weather putting everyone in a good mood! :)

(I hope I haven't cursed myself now!)

M_G

Visit site
I must admit its rare I meet a driver thats not nice... I wonder if there is a direct link between lots of hi viz and nice drivers?

I do go out looking like a tit on a christmas tree :)

MrsNorris

Visit site
I've always found motorcyclists to be the most considerate of all road users, maybe its because they also know what its like to feel vulnerable on the road?

Clava

Visit site
I've always found motorcyclists to be the most considerate of all road users, maybe its because they also know what its like to feel vulnerable on the road?

Yes, totally agree :) but cyclists, who are also vulnerable don't seem to have the same view point and I have had them squeeze between a line of riders and walkers coming the other way (cyclists at speed) , which was crazy.

spinneybarns

Visit site
Where I ride we dont get too many bad ones and we have quite a few green lanes so alot of trial bikes that ride in large groups and they pretty much without exception are brilliant. They all stop and turn off engines to let us pass and let us know if there any more following them, we usually stop and talk for a bit. The lanes are there for everyone to enjoy and its nice that people are so considerate to others just like we should be when we pass walkers. I used to ride near to Santa Pod - a large raceway, and there is also a large garden centre in the same village, the young racer people on the roads (of which there could be loads on the weekends) where without doubt the best with the horses, always slowing down - it was the doddery old people going to the garden centre that were the worst, without it seems any concept of how close they are to your horse or waiting right behind until we reached a blind bend then overtaking in first gear at 6ooorpm 2 inches from the horse. Used to drive us mad but at that time we had no choice but to ride on this particular stretch of road to get to the bridleways. Funny isnt it how the ones you think will be the worse are usually not!

hnmisty

Visit site
We had a car of 17 year old boys pull over yesterday and turn their engine off for us. Apparently they go up there to smoke weed, so maybe that's why they were so chilled? :p

tessybear

Visit site
I had a lovely Man on a very loud motorbike turn his engine off last summer (Tess is fine with bikes so was showing no signs of him needing to do so nor did i) he pulled over and waited for us to come by to which i thanked him and he replied

" I have been up there on one that is scared of Bikes, its not a nice feeling "

A lot of the gypsys round the block turn off their diggers etc, on their construction yard too which i slovely as they make a lot of noise throwing rubble about lol

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I think cyclists are worse cos although they know about being vulnerable they don't think their silent whooshing should be scary (tho it is) and also if they stop or slow they will have to get going again using their own puff, and that's not very welcome prospect to them. Also there are more 'serious' cyclists now who are timing themselves or 'training' and they won't stop for anyone.

They should still do it, but I think that's what is behind it....

HihoGinger

Visit site
Nice to know that you had a positive experience with a biker.
I have a big noisy bike myself, and will always do my best not to upset a horse (obviously!), whether that be stop and kill engine, or slow down and clutch it as I did the other day when two crossed the road in front of me.

The ones round here are pretty good, and as some of our roads are narrow, and flanked by rivers, they will stop and wait/ switch off engine. Whether it is kindness, or a sense of self preservation so they don't end up in the river I don't know, but either way I appreciate it!
I agree with the poster who said about the old folk, they are generally far worse than boy racers or bikers.

claireandnadia

Visit site
Definately have come across more nice drivers than bad ones. Came across a guy on a Harley once, he turned it off, let me pass and ages later turned it back on and Nadia still shot forward lol.

sandi_84

Visit site
I went for a group ride out one day and came across about 7-8 motorcyclists on a variation of road bikes and harley type loud things.
I was on my sisters highly strung cob (yep they do exist! ;)) and he started having a paddy as he'd never seen a motorbike before and they all stopped creeping along the road and came to a full stop and all turned their engines off, I was so grateful to them for being so considerate!
I think in general they are very considerate although most dirt bike riders are not :(