There is no substitute for proper preparation but

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
sometimes I do things on the spur of the moment. So at 9.15 this morning I decided that I'd take our big mare showing for the first time - and only my second ever attempt. Class was to start at 11.30, venue half an hour away. It's a fundraiser for a local club so thought we might as well do something to support it - having spent yesterday afternnon helping set it up.

She's not been right for a while and with one thing and another hadn't been ridden for three weeks but just turned away. So I hastily bathed her, trimmed her, plaited her and ran out of time to clean her tack:O

Arrived at the venue with 20 minutes before the class, chucked on grubby tack and noticed that her beautifully white legs had suffered somewhat from being put into boots that were less than sparkling clean. She had also chosen to start moulting whilst travelling and it was falling out in handfuls. Plaits had remained in situ - apart from the bottom two. Bodged those with bands. Threw very tidy (for me) clothes on self, managed to tie stock, and managed to get something mucky on knee within about 5 seconds, but that's normal for me.

Horse very pleased to be out and about. I had no thoughts of doing well in the class, it's just that she's missed out and watched the new lad disappearing off to parties and I thought she'd like a day out. This girl knows her job - she's an eventer:) She does dressage beautifully but only one class as she knows very well that next she does jumping - the fun bit. She gets more and more opinionated as she gets older.

She was obviously mystified about being in a small ring with the workers on one side and something going on with coloureds jumping on the other side. The competition looked very smart and clean and as though they all knew what they were doing. Big mare still mystified and very keen to join in either of the other two rings and decided to show off her best giraffe impression. She did start to work nicely and then we had to trot and canter as a ride. She thought that meant race but she's a well behaved girl and apart from jumping up and down a bit and grunting a lot she didn't get too unnecessary. Then a swarm of bees flew through the ring. I found it more scary than she did but it could have been interesting:D When we lined up I realised that she was suffering from her "hayfever" for the first time this year. No nosenet:( She just wanted to try to get the toe of my boot up her nose to scratch the irritation poor girl. As for individual shows; all I know about them is from stewarding at one show last year where the judge was getting thoroughly fed up with people going on and on and on. So I kept it short and sweet and anyway the mare was dying to show off her gallop which I didn't really want to happen. She did some nice transitions but had by now decided that the spectators by the ring must have sandwiches so we showed a little of all paces and a couple more giraffe impressions.

To my amazement we were not pulled in last but fourth out of five! The mare is NOT well put together - she's great at what she does but she is no beauty so I had no illusions that we were going to have a great new career. She had a nice time out, met loads of people she knew from pony club but to her disappointment she didn't manage to blag a sandwich from anyone. She loaded perfectly as she always does and when I unloaded her at home she still seems a bit mystified about what on earth she did on her day out. Love her to pieces:D

Now to get on to some sensible preparation for RC dressage as she's been asked back on the team.