There won't be a Hickstead report, there won't be any more reports from Soap :(

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
What a nightmare! However, I am another one who would say to speak to your vet about taking his shoes off. A horse i know had it for about 3 years, mri's, heartbars, injections into the foot etc etc, a fortune was spent and was never properly sound. Then the shoes came off as a last ditch attempt and I swear to god, the change happened overnight. I wouldn't believe it if i hadn't seen it.
I was reading something on here i think about navicular only happening in shod horses. Not sure if that is true or not but maybe worth looking in to.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
From what I understand it's not all to do with the perfect balanced foot, it's diet and stimulus of the frog as well (please correct me if I'm wrong Rockley people)

This is exactly what my farrier explained to me, and what is consider 'perfect' may not actually be right for that horse e.g. Emerald had a really bad turn in from the knee on his worst front leg, he also had pretty upright joints and there was a fine balance of leg/knee/foot angle which kept him sound. And also things like avoiding riding downhill (easier than you think), controlled trotting on the roads and the fact that we used to wrap his legs in winter to keep the circulation good.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Perhaps he's been lame for sometime but not noticable until problem with hind started.

Have the fronts medicated and see how he goes. So many treatment available now that I would expect prognosis to be better than you might think.

4faults

Visit site
Lots of virtual hugs and sympathy coming your way xx

Horrible that it happened so close to Hickstead but I echo what others say about don't despair, sort the hind leg and decide where to go from there.

My grade B showjumper was diagnosed with pretty advanced navicular, she was very blooded and ran on adrenaline so didn't show up till she was pretty far gone. I was lucky to have such an amazing vet and farrier, she had Tildren, Natural Balance shoes and 8 months off work because there was some damage to the DDFT as well.
2 years later she was competing BD at Medium level, she never jumped again but this was through personal choice. She is now a broodmare cooking my next generation of superstar and hasn't ha a day of lameness in years :)

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Awwww im so sorry to read this Chloe, poor Soap and poor you :-( thank goodness u didn't sell him, im sure it will all become clear, you'll get lots of advice on here and really hope he'll be ok for hacking, showing or dressage so you can enjoy him still. Lots of hugs x

dressagecrazy

Visit site
It's such a shock, but don't be to down there are many horses with serious foot problems back out competing.

My own dressage horse suffered an accident in the field last year, he managed to hyper flex the foot which in turn seriously damaged the Impar lig & DDFT this was found via MRI.
I went down the injection & bar shoe route first as the vets said my farrier was doing a perfect job. The horse went even more lame & was going hopping lame just from pulling a shavings bank down in his stable, worried wasnt the word.

I decided enough was enough & took him barefoot, it's not been a cure all but it has been one of the most important things. The horse is now totally sound & is even jumping out of his paddock most days & staying completely sound.

Time, rest, barefoot & controlled excersise have been the key for my lad.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Have just come back from a 15 mile round trip to another town to do a viewing on a grotty flat and the people didnt bother to turn up, was feeling extremely hard done by, so sat down to read HHO in the office while I cooled down from fuming. Now feel extremely sad for you both, and my problems have totally dimmed in comparison. I dont know much about navicular and I trust I never have to find out too much, but it does sound like its not the end of the road. I would get a second opinion and do not give up on that lovely lad of yours. Lots of virtual snogs and cuddles to your handsome man, and I do hope that we hear some good news soon.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Don't panic! By all means have a wail and good old fashioned cursing session, then start planning his recovery! Don't give up till you have had a good rummage, talked to many and tried at least a new farrier/shoeing approach, second opinion and a few weeks of rest.

I wish you and him well and look forward to hearing some positive reports very soon.

Baggy - I'd forgotten about Em - you mum was taking him to be pts after the weekend, wasn't she! Good job she didn't.

Worried1

Visit site
I love your enthusiasm in your posts and your passion for the horses.

Don't lose sight I'm sure this
is just the start of a new and different journey.
Good luck x

Heidi1

Visit site
Oh hun I am so so sorry, not been on HHO for a few days so only just picked this up, I really don't know what more to say...............My 14.2hh had foot problems and navicular, he came back after corrective shoeing to compete again, I was selective on where I went, but he carried on until he was 21, so there is light at the end of the tunnel..............