Thermatex rug

niko

Visit site
Are they worth the price before i invest for the new competition season or are there very good alternatives? views greatly appreciated

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I prefer the lansdown equivalent rugs.
Problem with thermatex is the front buckles are crap and they tend to pull back on the wither.
If you are at Blenheim or Burghley Lansdown normally have them on special offer.

lucym

Visit site
i bought one last year, and have mixed feelings. i used it alot as its warm, and perfect for travelling a clipped horse in etc, but i didnt think it did the job advertised that brilliantly, not sure if i would rush to buy one again, plus the fastenings are annoying and not very substaintial
i know the mark todd coolex cooler has a lot of fans on here, maybe worth a look

KatB

Visit site
Mark Todd Coolex rugs are far better for the money IMHO. They are proper rugs, so do the job much better. I use mine alot and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it highly.
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Depends what you want it for TBH.

If it's to dry off hunters after a hard day, after a bath or just getting drenched and cold, then you can't get better IMHO, they do exactly what they say on the tin and the horses appreciate being warm and dry in minutes after a hard day. I can't see a problem with roko buckles myself, they're not fiddly and they stay put. I've not seen or used the other rugs so can't say about them but my Thermatexes are brilliant for what I need.

Tanta

Visit site
well personally I have had Thermatex for years and they are worth every penny. I am still using one that must be 10 years old now, and it still does the job it was bought for, and shows no sign of wearing out. Make sure you buy a size smaller than your normal rugs if buying the standard thermatex though - they do come up big on the shoulder. But if you buy the Thermatex 200 with the smaller quilting, they fit a lot snugger so your normal size should work.

ecrozier

Visit site
I bought a coolex when they first came out and I absolutely love it - they are a bit cheaper too s well worth looking at as an alternative.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I think Thermatex are well worth the money!!! They are smart, fit well, and do the job they are designed to!!!
I'd love another!!
As said above, if you want a good fit, then get a size smaller than normal!!
grin.gif

kick_On

Visit site
i love my thermatex and have never had any issue with front buckets.
But to be honest don't use through summer months but totally ideal for bathing horses and drying off in winter, coming back from hunting . Travelling rug from autunm to spring.
IMO best rug on market (this type) plus if you do damage them, the factory do repairs, and i heard of them doing them free of charge!!! You also get small patches so you can get them mended.
BUT i had my rug for well over 10yrs and it's a must have (IMO) and i have friend who has a rug at 20yrs old and still in fabby condition (well used on hunting yard)
So i think there a good investment

mossy

Visit site
Fantastic rugs, have had mine for years and wouldn't be without, they fit well, (as already said get one size down from normal) and they wick the moisture away really well, the outside of the rug will be damp but the inside bone dry. I love them!!

Quarrybank

Visit site
Another vote for them..... Fab rugs
grin.gif

I still have one that's 18 years old & going strong, so good value to.
Nothing better for a sweaty horse or for travelling in autumn/ winter & spring.
grin.gif
grin.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
Fab rugs. OH has a Thermatex and a Thermalux (made by Aerborn) and I have two Thermalux's. They are pretty much the same and are brilliant rugs!! Couldn't do without mine.

Drummer

Visit site
I have a snood (cannot remember if they are lux or tex though??) and I love it!!! It only gets used though the winter/clipped/cold months. I travel to and from hunts in it and its straight on after baths and he is warm and dry in no time. A must for a horse that is bathed all year!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Are they made differently now? I had one in Canada but it was at least ten years old - the hardware on it was quite sturdy and I don't remember the neck cut being a problem at all.

A really good winter/after bath cooler and absolutely did as promised re: drying. I also had the promotional people coat, which was extremely comfortable!
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
I have used both a Thermatex and a Lansdown quite a lot in the last couple of years.

The Thermatex (belonging to a friend whose horse I was riding) stretched badly at the neck - we had to get a tuck stitched in to it. Don't remember having any problem with the straps though.

I have the Lansdown for my own horses - gets used regularly in the cold months for travel and drying. Has not stretched at all (there is different tape around the neck). The straps clip on so they are slightly easier.

Both rugs do the job they were bought for though.

Suggest you have a good look at both if you are going to Burghley.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I've won 2 Thermatex rugs and use them for travelling & drying - really pleased with mine. No issues with fastenings.

Agree with the size smaller comment - both of my horses normally have 6'6" and the Thermatex are 6'0" - and fit fine!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We used to use them but changed to Comfort Zone coolers and love them more.
We washed the stallion this afternoon and put the rug on and 30 mins later he was bone dry. We now have three, green/navy and red, and the red one is three years old but looks like new.
I think in the end it comes down to what you like the best, I won't be changing back!

Horsemad12

Visit site
Thermatex are made by Aerborn in Nottm, and they are having a factory sale at the end of the month.

They are great rugs, you need to get at least one size too small and often good "value" at the sale!!!!

Where are you located?