thermatex rugs

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I love Thermatex rugs :)

They are warm when they need to be, cool & wicking when they need to be. They last forever, and are gorgeous to look at ;)

I've not tried any of the imitation ones, so can't comment on them.

WelshD

Visit site
I love them and would love two for my ponies but need to wait until a 'have money to burn' moment!

My old horse and ponies used to have them and they always looked like new despite not being cleaned very often, the colours never faded and were always crisp and rich

They are up there with melton wool day rugs and Newmarket blankets as horsey classics IMHO :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Ellie-e, I have a quarter sheet as well, it's great, never slips & is soooo easy to put on, none of that trying to get it under the saddle & hoping it doesn't slip nonsense.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Love them . . . Kal has two - the green one he came with (now has moth holes in it but still gets used regularly) and the black one I bought for him which we use "for best." They do stretch rather a lot so it's worth buying smaller than you need, but they ping back to size when washed. They are warm, wicking, look smart, in short they do their job - and they last really, really well if looked after properly.

P

Littlelegs

Visit site
I have two, both about 13yrs old, from the days before I was a mum & had spare cash! One was for best, one for the yard. Sold all my competing stuff but not the thermatex, far too handy. After 13yrs of regular use the yard one is tatty but still functioning, but started using the 'best' one for daily use this year. Going to cut the older one down to make daughters pony a smaller version. Definitely worth investing in.

muff747

Visit site
I was gutted when I finally had to throw mine away.
I bought it about fifteen years ago and only called it a day a year or so ago, so it lasted thirteen years! And that was only because my horse bites his sides when he's stressed - an odd habit he has always done - so he'd pulled holes in it and the filling in the little pockets kept falling out :(

PrillyD

Visit site
I have the theatex exercise rug snd its brill. Howevera few years ago, i bought a P.E version of a thermy rug for £25 and its been amazing. No idea why they dont sell them anymore!!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My thermatex is about 10 years old and its just the best.
Store it in a mouse proof container though, it was damn annoying when the pesky blighters broke into a wooden tack trunk for a nibble.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Mine is also around ten years old and we got it for a song on EBay.. brand new with a set of beautiful wicking stable bandages thrown in! Sadly horsie ripped the bandages off in a tantrum but the rug is still going strong and still looks smart.

ETA just looked and there are a couple of cheap large sizes on EBay right now. Both patched but still worth the money.

Last edited:

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Love mine and I have a few :eek: all eBay bargains and in lovely condition. WB discontinued the Thermocell, but I have a couple of those and they are good, too. Don't bother with the Mark Todd ones, though.

Yes, T-tex are excellent. You usually need to buy a rug one size smaller as they really do stretch. Thermatex advise this and it is correct. They are prone to collecting 'bits' and easy to snag, so look after it carefully.

ThePony

Visit site
love them!
Try lansdown for v v similar that don't 'grow' as they have tape down the back. Both fit beautifully, also have leg wraps and quarter sheets from both - really superb rugs!

legaldancer

Visit site
Weatherbeeta Thermocells are just as good. I have both thermatex and the Thermocells and despite the latter being nearly half the price, they're just as good. Also, they come with x surcingles as standard unlike the thermatex which you have to pay extra for.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Got my one cheap second hand off ebay, had it about 8 years I think now. I love it but be careful about putting it on an itchy horse in a stable - mine rubbed his bum one night and managed to get a piece of the yarn attached to the wood wall (caught on a splinter bit) then unravelled a big chunk by the next morning! Its still perfectly usable but looks pretty bad, needs some patching!

Hedwards

Visit site
I absolutely love them, however never wanted to spend the money on one... however after a bit of searching on pre-loved i managed to bag a 2nd hand one (that is as good as new) for £30!!! lovely rugs!

navaho

Visit site
The joy of living in West Wales, we get to go to their sale they have in November....honest to God though you have never seen anything like it! You know in America when they have those big store sales & everyone ques up outside...then the doors open & its hand bags at dawn & no prisioners taken....that is the Thermatex sale to a T lol!! Totally mental, but you do get some really good bargains & its not just rugs they have in the sale either, bridles, saddles, numnahs, bandages etc etc.

jnb

Visit site
I've got 3 WB thermocell combos and a no neck one- brilliant rugs and the bees knees for drying my grey cob in cooler weather. I have had both thermatex and thermoluxes and sold them all - cant stnd the stretching or the being covered with shavings! The thermocell wash well and bedding doesn't stick anywhere near as much.
Love my 5 sets of thermatex Cordura leg wraps though!

KatB

Visit site
I've recently brought a termatex stable rug and love it. All the benefits of a thermatex rug without the snaggy outer and stretching! It was very expensive, but worth it. Fits my horse a treat too!!

I've also got a Mark Todd Coolex and love that too. Really smart rug, and I've had it for about 6years now and other than a couple of mouse holes its still great. I do think the Coolex's are smarter as "proper" rugs with the cross surcingles than Thermatex's, so will replace my coolex with another one for shows I think...

HaggisEater

New User
Visit site
We bought Mark Todd Coolex rugs instead of Thmeratex. They don't stretch like Thermatex, or rub on the shoulders. They wash and wear well, and the fittings are much better, and the best of all they are nearly half the price on Ebay!!

Patterdale

Visit site
Another one who wouldn't be without mine! :)
However be careful in the trailer, I put mine over a tacked up horse to go hunting and over time two small holes have worn where the stirrups are. My fault though not the rug.

They are amazing! :D