Thermavet camera?

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Does anybody have any experience of the 'thermavet' thermal imaging camera device that attaches to the iphone?

Seems like a really good idea and useful product (its around £200) just wanting to see if anybody has purchased and can confirm its worth the expense?

Thanks

DDWexford

Visit site
Hi,

I'm one of the Directors at ThemaVet so if I can help with any questions I'd be happy to answer! We're at Hickstead Derby setting up at the moment so if you were planning to go we'd be happy to give you a demo :) xx

DDWexford

Visit site
Yes there is for the model that fits onto the iPhone 5/5s it is OAKES and will get you £25 off! The other models that fit onto other iOS and Android phones (please check that your phone is suitable on the website!) are now available to pre-order too but I'm afraid there is no discount code for them as they are just being launched. :) xx

DDWexford

Visit site
Hi, I can see that an order from Bucks. has just come through so I guess that's you :) you've made todays post (we use Royal Mail) so you should receive it by 1300hrs tomorrow. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions! If you see our trade stand at a show please come and say hello! :) xx

Jojoeena

Visit site
Hi MSP,

Dragging up this thread as wondered how you are getting on with your Thermavet camera, like your original post, thinking of getting one but just wondered if they were as good in the flesh / worth the money ?

Thanks..

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Hi there, I have been putting it to good use, although I could do with contacting them to get a few hints and tips about using/interpreting because the picture is understandably not as clear/less specific as the pictures taken having had professional thermal imaging done on my horse a few times (I expect the pro cameras are but higher spec). but overall yes I would say worth it.

I took pictures of my friends pony last week who had been thought suffering from 'trapped nerve' in his withers for considerable time - the picture help them come to find the pony had kissing spines.

I think my horse has so many issues that at the moment I just get a picture of a red horse!

Jojoeena

Visit site
Thanks for the fast response ! Yes I see on their FB page that someone (else?) has posted asking for a little more help, hints / tips etc, maybe this is something they should look at (if not already). I did see a 'How to use' info sheet on the forum which seemed quite good, not so much on interpreting the image as such though.

Hmmm it's a lot of money but think it will be a really useful bit of kit to have, especially as my boy seems to be have become a bit accident prone of late and the going rate for a partial Thermo scan is about £50 (I think).

Glad it was able to help your friend identify a KS issue, hope it is 'fixable' and sorry that your boy is proving to be such a good 'test dummy'... at least for you it's definitely NOT a waste of money :)

DDWexford

Visit site
Hi Ladies,
MSP really glad you're happy with the ThermaVet! With regards more info on interpretation of images...ThermaVet has to be very careful not to encourage self diagnosis as we all know that only Vets can diagnose by law. However, the ThermaVet is perfect for monitoring your animals/yourself in between professional visits. Instead of feeling for heat with your hands, with the ThermaVet you can see the heat, take a photo or video of the heat and compare it to previous images/recordings. We say to all of our customers that it is important to establish what is 'normal' then when you see a change you can monitor it and email/text the image to the relevant professional. It is especially useful if your horse has an injury (for example a tendon) as you can watch the heat disappear so you know when to bring back into work - obviously working with your vet. Then you can check to see if the work you are doing is aggravating the injury. Once you know what is normal you can quickly recognise what is not. Comparing one leg against other legs is a good start. Apologies for this being a bit of a waffle but I just wanted to explain before I go out why we can't tell people how to interpret. The ThermaVet will never replace your vet, farrier, saddle fitter, back person etc. but it's an amazing complimentary tool to take some of the guesswork out. Oh and it's also useful for checking on your horses in the pitch black while they're in the fields! If you have any more questions or would like me to expand further please ask. I'll make sure I have a bit more time to reply more eloquently!! Xxxx

mrfarrier

New User
Visit site
Not wanting to post here just to stick in an add but I have a couple of these for sale (iphone 5/5s version) as we now have iphone 6's. PM for details.

I would show some photos that they take etc but can't seem to upload them? Any ideas?

Jojoeena

Visit site
Hi mrfarrier, I thought that they were the same thing ? Just wondering why you would be selling them on just because you have upgraded your phone and not just keep your old phone for this specific use ? Genuine question.
Thanks

DDWexford

Visit site
Hi MrFarrier, were you aware that you can keep your old iPhone 5/5s on the ThermaVet and use it without having a SIM card in? You would still have WI-Fi without the SIM card so could use it as a dedicated thermal imaging unit? With the free software and firmware updates it's pretty much future proof! If you have already sold your old iPhone and need the ThermaVet for the iPhone 6 we are able to take pre-orders now as we receive the first delivery at the end of this month :) hope that's of some help to you?! Xx

BBP

Visit site
Hi, can you tell me if these cameras are sensitive enough to pick up on deep muscle soreness, like in horses that have muscle myopathy such as PSSM. I understand that these muscles when damaged are unlikely to transfer enough heat to the surface for your camera to pick up. Do you think that is correct? I had been interested in whether one could be of any value in monitoring my horses myopathy. Many thanks.

mrfarrier

New User
Visit site
They can only pick up what they can see. So you will only see heat as it is radiated from the surface of whatever you are looking at.
Heat in a deeper muscle may well transfer up to the surface, or a deep injured muscle may have an affect on other muscles closer to the surface and you may be able to see those with thermal image.
Seeing something on the surface and trying to identify exactly what is causing it to be there is a bit trickier though, hence why it is only for professionals to make a diagnosis based on the findings.