Thermavet Thermal Imaging Camera

vikkic

Visit site
Does anyone have or have used a thermavet camera? I am thinking of getting one and would be interested in anyone's comments on them.

BBP

Visit site
If you get it direct from flir (it's called a flir one) you get exactly the same thing for about £60 cheaper, you don't pay for the fancy vet name. That's where I got mine. I really rate it for monitoring my horses back and sacroiliac region. It's a rougher tool than a pro camera (obviously) but I've used it on the same day as a pro and it compares pretty well.

I use mine quite a lot but it would be easy to drive yourself crazy with it if you don't use it sensibly.

BBP

Visit site
My horse when sore
image_zpsrb5cbxby.jpg

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I worked in the industry that sells these cameras and Flir were the dog's wotsits, obviously they have different price structures for the different cameras but they are a useful tool

vikkic

Visit site
Thanks KatPT. The pictures are really clear. I can imagine that you would drive yourself mad with it. I just did a search for the flir one and they seem to be the same price as the thermavet. Do you know if it is the same camera?

BBP

Visit site
Yep, exactly the same unit but without ThermaVet written on it. It has a different app too.

BBP

Visit site
I don't think it works with Windows but not sure. I had to buy an iPhone 5 just to use it so there are certain phone specifications.

vikkic

Visit site
Thanks KapPT. I just had a search, you can buy them direct from Apple too! Everywhere seems to be the same price unfortunately. I am wondering if I should get the thermavet as they have a support forum.

Equi

Visit site
My farrier had one and used it on my mare to diagnose her issue, was stifle. Very handy tool. I would hate to have one though i think i would drive myself mad with it.

BBP

Visit site
It will show you that the feet are hot, but that’s about it. And it’s showing relative to the surrounding environment rather than an absolute temperature. My horses feet get hotter and colder on any given day so haven’t found it useful that.

Equi

Visit site
It can be a deceiving thing if you don't use it correctly. My friend is a professional thermographer, and its not just about taking a picture of the horse as and when. You need to have them in a basically bare stable with no breeze or anything to make them move about too much for 1hr without food or water before she will scan and you are not allowed to touch them in that time as even a finger poke will show up in the scans - but she has the proper thousands of pounds cameras etc that can pin point the smallest thing. She is also then trained to decipher the scans, and give an opinion as to what area need attention and depending on the reading she can say if its inflamed or loosing support (an example is navicular vs laminitis) but the point being, she can tell which is which and what you should focus on, then she will tell you what to do next. It won't tell you what is wrong, it will tell you what area to focus on, to find out whats happening there.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Your hand on the foot will do the same job as a camera .
The issue with these cameras they are only as good as the interpretation of the result for instance super hot quarter muscles may show the horse has sore front feet or a broken rib ( as it did in my horse case the broken rib was right at the front ) or a great number of things .
At best they are an interesting edition at worse they can lead you off in the wrong direction .