These poor cats.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Being a foster of CP has its rewards as well as its has sad parts to it. I have just had two cats brought in who came from a house where the owner CS. They had to live there for 3 days before rescued by a friend whose kid is allergic so they came to me (my pens).

This morning I had to take them to vet for the routine check all CP cats go through, while in the car park having just arrived, a flea jumped on my neck from the back of my car where the cats are. They are now there for the day and this is what faced me when I went into their pens. Bedding in washing machine and sprayed their pen (cats in next pen so have to be careful).

Not for the delicate stomach people to view pictures, I love being a foster and wish more would be one to help more cats as so many waiting to come in. These cats are traumatized by the event from the last weeks, but at least now they are going to receive proper treatment.

It shows the importance of flea treatment so it does not end up like this, in a pen its obvious in a house its not.

This is a close up of their bedding
20140702_0927021_zps8af739fe.jpg

their pen after i sprayed and will go thoroughly wash out
20140702_0925501_zpsef44f75d.jpg

20140702_0925421_zpsbab16c26.jpg

20140702_0925551_zpscadbc682.jpg

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well just got back from picking them up, de fleas -1st vaccine - teeth - bloods etc, one more vaccine and they are finished. They can now go on the web as they are FIV and FELV Neg so the future looks bright now. Just got a few days of dead fleas etc to clean up as they fall off

9tails

Visit site
Yeesh. But in all fairness, effective flea treatments are difficult to get hold of without forking out for a prescription. Bob Martin, Frontline and Advantage are pretty useless but are the only ones that you can get over the counter. I was using Advocate but one of my cats not only reacted to it so loads of fur fell out but also got a flea allergy so loads more fur fell out.

I have 5 cats, they're regularly treated with Stronghold and Advocate (those that aren't allergic). I suspect I spend at least £20 per month for the spot on treatments plus prescription costs.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Yeesh. But in all fairness, effective flea treatments are difficult to get hold of without forking out for a prescription. Bob Martin, Frontline and Advantage are pretty useless but are the only ones that you can get over the counter. I was using Advocate but one of my cats not only reacted to it so loads of fur fell out but also got a flea allergy so loads more fur fell out.

I have 5 cats, they're regularly treated with Stronghold and Advocate (those that aren't allergic). I suspect I spend at least £20 per month for the spot on treatments plus prescription costs.

The cats were not vaccinated or de flead- a common problem with cats being brought in.

I have been recommended johnsons flea treatment for mine, apparently one hour and you see fleas fall off the cat,...................................

9tails

Visit site
The cats were not vaccinated or de flead- a common problem with cats being brought in.

I have been recommended johnsons flea treatment for mine, apparently one hour and you see fleas fall off the cat,...................................

Maybe I'll try that one, because keeping them free of their own pets is an expensive business.

I've recently become the proud owner of a CPL cat, a 6 month old kitten that was first homed with young children. She was returned for crapping on the kid's bed. What did she do within 72 hours with me? Crapped on my bed! Thankfully she hasn't done it since.

The rehomer said that foster parents aren't allowed to own their own cats, is this true?

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I used to work at a kennels and cattery and one day found one of the cat units looking just like that. Bad considering this cat had come in whilst their owner went on holiday.

This thread has served a purpose as it reminded me to get some flea stuff tomorrow!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Maybe I'll try that one, because keeping them free of their own pets is an expensive business.

I've recently become the proud owner of a CPL cat, a 6 month old kitten that was first homed with young children. She was returned for crapping on the kid's bed. What did she do within 72 hours with me? Crapped on my bed! Thankfully she hasn't done it since.

The rehomer said that foster parents aren't allowed to own their own cats, is this true?

No it isn't true ...........................I owned 3 till one RTA :(.

most fosters use the pens however some have the cats in their own homes, they are the HIV ones, two of mine came into CP care and never were put up for homing. (hehe I had them)

We have many whose toilet training is bad most are elder cats

Last edited:

touchstone

Visit site
So nice to see cats being cared for after neglect poor things. I've just used a new treatment called Activyl which seems pretty effective, it treats the environment as well as the animal so no need for additional sprays.

Crabby

Visit site
Looks like they were bring eaten alive poor things. Can't help feeling sorry for woman who took them in. I've been really lucky with my cats and fleas. I only treat if I really have to. They sleep on my bed so I spot the signs straight away.
I've not tried it yet but Diatomaceous Earth is a natural alternative flea killer for house and animal .
Ps ..I use Activil too.