They Know How To Stress You Out :(

sasquatch

Visit site
So to give a bit of background, I am at uni 2 hours away from B. He was out in the field for recovery until the weather got bad and he had to come in and as he's being a bit possessive and one of the mares and bullying the others a bit he's had to go back into his stable on full livery for now. So mum looks after him weekends as she's too busy with work to sort him during the week, and YO otherwise looks after him.

I got a text from mum yesterday to say vet was coming out on the 21st, asked her to check if he needed his jabs and what time assuming it was just to get him reassessed as the insurance wanted that done. Then got a text to say he was very lame, apparently not putting weight on one of his back legs and barely able to walk. Farrier had been out and said there was no abscess and apparently he'd been very reluctant/wasn't happy holding his leg up. Mum hadn't seen him at this point yet, but said that apparently there was no heat or swelling. She later went up to see him, said that he wasn't really weight bearing or moving around much on his leg but couldn't feel heat but was a bit swollen. Naturally, I feel awful. I can't go home to check him as I have an exam Saturday morning, and another one on Wednesday and whilst I know he is being well looked after, not being able to check on him myself and see what's going on also isn't helping with stress.

YO is giving him bute, and mum rang vet who has said to give him bute for a day or two. Had an update from mum earlier to say YO has said he seems to be better today, but again, I don't know if better means he's back to 100% or if he's just not as bad as yesterday. I'm guessing that's most likely the bute helping too, so mum will see how he is over the weekend and will take him off it as per vets orders - if he is back to being very sore he can always go back on it.

Before anyone wants to say that the vet should have been out yesterday, please trust me in that he's being monitored, my mum has been in contact with the vet both yesterday and today, and if he gets any worse vet will be straight out to see him. I have no idea what he's done, but horses really do know how to pick their timings :(

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know you have said not to comment on the fact the vet has just said give him bute and not see him, but quite frankly if my horse was non weight bearing I would want a vet out I can't believe vets think this is acceptable what if his done something serious?

sasquatch

Visit site
I know you have said not to comment on the fact the vet has just said give him bute and not see him, but quite frankly if my horse was non weight bearing I would want a vet out I can't believe vets think this is acceptable what if his done something serious?

I haven't seen him in person, I'm only going by what my mum has said YO has told her, and from when she went to check on him when she'd finished work last night. I asked her was he weight bearing and the reply was 'not really' however she also said he was stood eating his dinner and not moving around much - I also don't know the conversation she had with the vet as I've only been told bits and pieces. Makes it a lot harder, because I haven't been able to see him myself and I only know what mum has told me rather than hearing it directly.

If he gets any worse or hadn't shown any improvement after bute vet would have been out asap - all I've heard is he seemed better today on bute but I have no idea if better means that he's back to 100%, or he's not as bad as he was yesterday. I really have no idea which is stressing me out even more.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm surprised there are vets out there that feel it's unnecessary to come out to a non weight bearing horse and instead suggest to just give it a couple of bute. If he were mine I'd have the vet out asap to assess what the issue is and treat accordingly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the horse needs a vet right now. If it is non weight bearing then it could quickly create fatal laminitis in the opposite foot carrying all the weight. And if it is just an abscess, giving him bute could cause it to rumble on for weeks or even months. I'm another who is very surprised that a vet said 'give it a couple of bute' over the phone about a non weight bearing horse.

I'm not surprised you are unhappy, but a vet visit would also settle your own mind before your exams.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I haven't seen him in person, I'm only going by what my mum has said YO has told her, and from when she went to check on him when she'd finished work last night. I asked her was he weight bearing and the reply was 'not really' however she also said he was stood eating his dinner and not moving around much - I also don't know the conversation she had with the vet as I've only been told bits and pieces. Makes it a lot harder, because I haven't been able to see him myself and I only know what mum has told me rather than hearing it directly.

If he gets any worse or hadn't shown any improvement after bute vet would have been out asap - all I've heard is he seemed better today on bute but I have no idea if better means that he's back to 100%, or he's not as bad as he was yesterday. I really have no idea which is stressing me out even more.

I know it's difficult when you can't see for yourself but a reply like that would ring alarm bells for me and I would want a vet, it also doesn't help when you have a vet that thinks it's totally acceptable to give bute to a horse that won't stand on a leg, if I rang my vet and said what you have said they would be out in a shot not recommending bute I think I would change vets they sound terrible, I don't mean to be harsh or scare you but the horse needs a vet I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight especially not being able to see the horse myself I would always air on the side of caution better to be safe than sorry.

sasquatch

Visit site
I'm sorry, but the horse needs a vet right now. If it is non weight bearing then it could quickly create fatal laminitis in the opposite foot carrying all the weight. And if it is just an abscess, giving him bute could cause it to rumble on for weeks or even months. I'm another who is very surprised that a vet said 'give it a couple of bute' over the phone about a non weight bearing horse.

I'm not surprised you are unhappy, but a vet visit would also settle your own mind before your exams.

Farrier saw him yesterday, has confirmed it's not an abscess.

I do NOT KNOW the conversation had between my mum and the vet - the same way I don't know exactly how lame he is and to what extent he isn't weight bearing. All I know is he seemed very lame yesterday, farrier saw him and confirmed not an abscess, mum saw him and said he was eating but not moving around very much, at some point mum spoke to the vet yesterday and at some point she spoke to the vet today and he's improved with bute. I do know that the vet said to continue with bute for a day or two after she spoke to the vet today, which was after she had told the vet he seemed to have improved.

There is nothing to say if the vet felt it unnecessary to come out because I have absolutely no idea what my mum told the vet in the first place! I have absolutely no idea as to exactly how lame he is because I haven't been able to see him myself. If I didn't have exams this week (or had more time between my exams - I have one 9am tomorrow) I'd have been home as soon as I could have been even if it meant missing a day or two of uni. It's just incredibly bad timing that I can't get home atm.

Cecile

Visit site
How about talking to your farrier (He has already been out and looked for an abscess so has seen the problem), ring the YO as she seems to be the main caregiver and get the details straight from the horses mouth <so to speak>

I assume the YO is an experienced horsewoman and would not hesitate in calling the vet herself if she was concerned or asking/telling your Mother to do so

Is it possible everyone is being quite vague with you as they know you have exams, you are too far away and they believe you won't worry if they act in a vague manner, which usually makes people more worried in my experience

sasquatch

Visit site
How about talking to your farrier (He has already been out and looked for an abscess so has seen the problem), ring the YO as she seems to be the main caregiver and get the details straight from the horses mouth <so to speak>

I assume the YO is an experienced horsewoman and would not hesitate in calling the vet herself if she was concerned or asking/telling your Mother to do so

Is it possible everyone is being quite vague with you as they know you have exams, you are too far away and they believe you won't worry if they act in a vague manner, which usually makes people more worried in my experience

I may send my farrier a text tonight or tomorrow depending how much revision I can get done tonight and message YO as well, it's easier for me to text atm as my phone is meant to be off while I'm revising. You're right about YO as well, as she would definitely have told mum the vet was needed asap if she felt so.

You may be right in everyone being vague until my exams are done, mum has said repeatedly not to worry and she will deal with it until I can get home but that doesn't really help me right now as I'd rather know what's going on!

whiteflower

Visit site
My vet won't prescribe Bute without seeing the horse unless it's a pre existing long term condition that they have seen the horse for previously, even then they need to have seen the horse in the last 12 months. They have advised me they are not legally allowed to prescribe otherwise and with Bute being a prescription drug that horses must be signed out of the food chain to have you r vet is on very sticky ground if they have advised you to administer bute that was not prescribed for your horse to it.
I think it may be an idea for you to speak to the yo to get a clear picture of this issue and then call and speak to the vet yourself. I really hope it's nothing serious. Non weight baring can be very serious I really hope yours turns out to be an abcess

Leo Walker

Visit site
Farrier saw him yesterday, has confirmed it's not an abscess.

I do NOT KNOW the conversation had between my mum and the vet - the same way I don't know exactly how lame he is and to what extent he isn't weight bearing.

Non weight bearing to any extent is an emergency. I dont believe any competent vet would advise giving a non weight bearing or moving about horse a couple of bute and leaving it a couple of days.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yours wouldn't be the first farrier who has missed a deep seated abcess.

Would it not just give you peace of mind to get the vet out? You clearly don't have that right now or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Cecile

Visit site
I may send my farrier a text tonight or tomorrow depending how much revision I can get done tonight and message YO as well, it's easier for me to text atm as my phone is meant to be off while I'm revising. You're right about YO as well, as she would definitely have told mum the vet was needed asap if she felt so.

You may be right in everyone being vague until my exams are done, mum has said repeatedly not to worry and she will deal with it until I can get home but that doesn't really help me right now as I'd rather know what's going on!

All I can say is I was sitting outside a cafe in Italy on holiday many moons ago and a family member phoned to ask me a question relating to a pony of mine, it sent me into a state of panic due to them being so vague, in reality they didn't want to worry me but it had the reverse effect on me, it was the vague way in which they asked or replied to my questions

They didn't want me to worry and tbh in this incidence if I had been in the UK and seen the pony in question I wouldn't of been worried but it was he was talking it was all a bit cloak and dagger and until I had spoken to the YO I was almost booking myself back on the next plane

Mum's are wonderful inventions but your Mum maybe just being vague as she wants you to get on and do your exams