They say things come in three's

applecart14

Visit site
What a night last night proved to be.

I was at the yard about 7.45pm and someone said they were getting the vet for one of the liveries horses. I went to see if I could offer some help and the horse was lying down unable to rise and looking like it had colic. The YO called the vet and whilst we were waiting for the vet a horse in one of the stables opposite started choking really badly, and spat out a plastic bag it was choking on that had contained carotts! Luckily it was alright no lasting damage.

When the vet arrived she said the horse hadn’t got colic it was just old age and couldn’t get up. As she gave it a pain killing injection ‘I went to the muck heap with my wheelbarrow. On the way round someone called me onto the back yard to say a horse had blood coming from its nose. I went to look and there was big spots of blood on the floor, and blood pooling from its mouth. Had a quick look but the light was really poor so went to tell the YO and vet.

Vet was getting something out of her car for the horse on the ground, so I went back to see if it the horse had lost a tooth (is old horse) and had a better look and the poor thing had completely broken its lower jaw, half the bottom jaw was pointing one way, the other half the other. Ran round to get the vet, she came, looked and gave it a pain killing injection and the owner got it up to the hospital for xray and assessment.

We went round the prone horse and managed to get it onto its feet thank God.

What a night!

The horse who broke his jaw has been operated on under standing operation this morning and has his jaw wired together.

Sadly the other horse didn’t make it, and died/was pts this morning, I don’t know the details just had a hell of a shock when I went onto FB just and found out.:(

Weird as the one we thought would have to be pts was the one who made it and the one we thought would didn't. Felt quite shell shocked when I got home last night.

Feel so sad for the owner of the horse wo died, she had owned him for about 25 years and was on holiday. I hope she got back for him in time.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Gosh reading that is a shocking reminder how life can change in an instant! Poor owners...

applecart14

Visit site
UPDATE:

The horse with the broken jaw went to horspital and had the jaw wired. The vet said it would be a standing operation so I presume this was what happened.

The horse who didn't make it was 28 years of age, and my friend had had him nearly all this time. I can't image how she must be feeling now and my heart goes out to her. Apparently he had a brain tumour from what I have heard. I've lost a number of horses, but I had had them all less than three years each. That's bad enough but to have shared nearly half your life with a horse and to lose it must be so awful.

Amazing how something can change so quickly in the blink of an eye for two people, one of whom life will never be quite the same again.

SVMel

Visit site
How quickly things can change with animals :( So sorry for the owners involved, and hugs to all .

What a night for you

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Gosh, what an awful evening! So very sorry for your friend who lost her horse. How heartbreaking for her. Hope the horse with the broken jaw makes a good recovery. Life certainly can throw some curveballs at you at times. x