They're out!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Exactly one week after having to stay in because of the snow, our 3 mares have gone out this morning.

My heart was in my mouth but it had to be done, now that we have managed to clear the snow away from the door......

The cob is in a small paddock on her own because of her hoof abscess and is still very uncomfortable but hobbled along with great determination.
The other 2 were thrilled to bits when they realised what was happening but they were their usual well-mannered selves. We had put them some haylage piles out and they just went straight to eat.

Never been so relieved!

Asha

Visit site
Happy days!

Mine had been in for just 2 days earlier in the week, boy where they relieved to go out. They all had a gallop round then came back to the gate when they realised no green stuff.

Fingers crossed the worst is behind us.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Fortunately although we still have a mini-Matterhorn in the yard, most of the snow in the fields has gone, so when they had finished the haylage there was some actual grass available.
We were amazed that there was no galloping/dancing/showing off in front of the neighbours. In fact the two younger mares hardly seem to have taken any notice of the geldings over the wall.

indie999

Visit site
The fields are starting to fill up round here too. I would say yesterday was the first day the grass could be seen properly and today snow moreless gone. Coming up a bridleway and realised I was being watched by a neighbours horse! Who hasnt been out for a couple of weeks(or it seems that long). Am sure that must be the last of snow! Expensive time for anyone with livestock.

kellybee

Visit site
I let my lot onto the summer paddock now and then, and when I do it's like christmas day for them. So nice to see them stretching and being silly :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Bet it was great to get them out, this weather has got rather annoying, some more spring like weather would be nice for us and the horses eh
It certainly was!

We have been going over the snow mountain approx 5xper day to give haylage/chaff to try to break the day up for them and avoid them getting either bored rigid or fat - another balancing act. You just seem to have got back and sat down when it's time to set off again.
We have been so pleased with their behaviour while they've been in - not a foot wrong!
Then they went out so calmly - there are hoof prints in some of the banks of snow left in the field, so they did manage to have a bit of a play after we'd stopped wtching. then they came back in very calmly. These three must be the most placid horses we've ever had together.

Tomorrow the massive muck-out starts!

kellybee

Visit site
It certainly was!

We have been going over the snow mountain approx 5xper day to give haylage/chaff to try to break the day up for them and avoid them getting either bored rigid or fat - another balancing act. You just seem to have got back and sat down when it's time to set off again.
We have been so pleased with their behaviour while they've been in - not a foot wrong!
Then they went out so calmly - there are hoof prints in some of the banks of snow left in the field, so they did manage to have a bit of a play after we'd stopped wtching. then they came back in very calmly. These three must be the most placid horses we've ever had together.

Tomorrow the massive muck-out starts!

Aww :D That really made me smile. You sound like fab owners with fab horses