Thickened Annular Ligament

ChrisP

New User
Visit site
My 16yo highland is having surgery for this condition next week and would be interested to hear of others experiences with this problem. We have tried Adequan injections and also Cartophen with no improvement shown. As I have decided against steroid injections the only course of action is surgery. I think the success rate is quite good but obviously I am concerned.

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
My 15 year old Connie x Cob has had this surgery. He had no other treatment, as none would have worked. He had the desmotomy at Newmarket, stayed there until the stitches came out 10 days after surgery and then home. Threw caution to the wind and turned him out the following day as he is not a horse you can keep in a stable if you want the door to stay attached. Started the walking as advised, 5 minutes gradually building to 45 minutes twice a day. Horse was sound for a period, then slightly inflammed the tendon sheath (same leg) and is now ok *touches wood*. It was a hard slog, but one I'd definitely do again because he went from a good 6/7 10ths lame in walk/trot to sound! My vet has advised that he will always have a weakness there now, which is fair enough so I am taking it steady and we'll see how it goes. My boy is a very complicated case as he's also got cushings, ems and has annular ligament desmitis in the other hind leg but it didn't require surgery and had healed on its own. If I'd have known all that, not sure I'd have gone ahead but that's horses for you! My boy had primary desmitis and no injury to the tendon sheath or the tendons at the time of the surgery. If you have any questions please ask!

Warrior_princess

Visit site
Hiya. My 8 year old mare had her annular ligaments cut in both hind legs on 26th july last year. She recovered well from the op and came home 3 days later. Once home she was on box rest but after 10 days she came down with a septic tendon sheath. I rushed her back to Leahurst at midnight and was told by the vets she may not make it. However after taking her back in surgery and flushing out her leg,an aggressive course of antibiotics, she came to and was sent home 12 days after being admitted. After 17 very long weeks of box rest,she was allowed to be turned out and since that day she has been absolutely fine She still has thickening in both hind legs and i have been advised by my vet not to jump or lunge her but she is sound and hacking out happily.
I will be honest,its been avery long and difficult recovery and at times i felt like giving up. My mare hated box rest and was difficult to walk out in hand. But seeing her now made it all worthwhile. I dont school her as we both enjoy hacking more than schooling and she does feel a little uncomfy in the arena. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the op or anything.
I hope it all goes well for your horse. We were just unlucky with the infection but i know a few of my vets clients have had the op and returned to competing xx