Thin Soles - Keratex?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Has anybody used Keratex spray to harden soles please? Or perhaps had success with something else? Mare is now on a hoof supplement prescribed by vet and has fronts on after farrier assessment - she is retired and has been barefoot for years but has thin soles which bruise easily and has recently became very footsore.

Any tips on toughening up those feet gratefully received! :)

paddy555

Visit site
Has anybody used Keratex spray to harden soles please? Or perhaps had success with something else? Mare is now on a hoof supplement prescribed by vet and has fronts on after farrier assessment - she is retired and has been barefoot for years but has thin soles which bruise easily and has recently became very footsore.

Any tips on toughening up those feet gratefully received! :)

your mare is retired so I presume an older horse, she has been barefoot for years but presumably not footsore for years or you would have done something. She now has very sore feet.
I would be wondering why, what has changed and if she had been tested for cushings. Bruising and sore feet was the first sign of cushings in one of my horses although I didn't know enough at the time to realise the warning signs. Bruising was followed by abscessing. All that stopped when we realised and treated the cause.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks everyone for your replies - will look at hoof armour.

your mare is retired so I presume an older horse, she has been barefoot for years but presumably not footsore for years or you would have done something. She now has very sore feet.
I would be wondering why, what has changed and if she had been tested for cushings. Bruising and sore feet was the first sign of cushings in one of my horses although I didn't know enough at the time to realise the warning signs. Bruising was followed by abscessing. All that stopped when we realised and treated the cause.

The farrier has commented previously on her thin soles but it didn't cause much of an issue until now. Our field seems to go from dust to mud - it was very dry a while ago and then we had absolutely torrential rain and I think this has played a part too. I will definitely keep Cushings in mind and realise it would be good to find a specific cause, but she did see a good vet on Wednesday and isn't showing other signs at present. Thanks for your thoughts.

ETA: mare is 18 and was retired years ago (she was unpredictable).

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just a suggestion - and do with it what you will, but there is a FB group called "Barefoot Horse Owners UK Group" (or something very similar wording).

I've just joined - we have just transitioned to barefoot! Yay! (sorry, just an aside), and have just discovered a whole wealth of information on there, and other groups like it.

Red Horse products come up a lot as being recommended on there, so you might like to have a look at their website? They're a UK firm I believe and their products seem to do what it says on the tin.

There is also plenty of advice on supplements and diet; my two cobs are on a hoof supplement called Equimins - there are others too.

Hope this helps.

(Edited: sorry meant to say that you don't have to be a Born-Again Barefooter to benefit from the advice on the group! - a lot of it is general hoof wisdom).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
. I will definitely keep Cushings in mind and realise it would be good to find a specific cause, but she did see a good vet on Wednesday and isn't showing other signs at present. Thanks for your thoughts.

ETA: mare is 18 and was retired years ago (she was unpredictable).

It is extremely common for sore soles to be the first and only sign of cushings and your mare is a prime age to have started it.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Just a suggestion - and do with it what you will, but there is a FB group called "Barefoot Horse Owners UK Group" (or something very similar wording).

I've just joined - we have just transitioned to barefoot! Yay! (sorry, just an aside), and have just discovered a whole wealth of information on there, and other groups like it.

Red Horse products come up a lot as being recommended on there, so you might like to have a look at their website? They're a UK firm I believe and their products seem to do what it says on the tin.

There is also plenty of advice on supplements and diet; my two cobs are on a hoof supplement called Equimins - there are others too.

Hope this helps.

(Edited: sorry meant to say that you don't have to be a Born-Again Barefooter to benefit from the advice on the group! - a lot of it is general hoof wisdom).

Thanks for your thoughts. I have used Red Horse products for other things (different horse) and found them to be really good. I did have a look on their website in this instance too and thought about asking them. I'll take a look at the group.

It is extremely common for sore soles to be the first and only sign of cushings and your mare is a prime age to have started it.

Thank you. I will ask the vet. :)

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Just an update on here to say thanks to those of you who suggested I have my mare testing for Cushing's as she does indeed have a mild case. The vet never suggested it (and the farrier also said he wouldn't test as unlikely to be that) but thanks to the replies on here and some other opinions, we got the test done.

I just posted another topic about same mare and different issue but it reminded me that I ought to say thanks! That's @paddy555 and @ycbm but grateful to all the other helpful answers too. :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site