things that you hate!

moodymare123

Visit site
Thought it would be fun to start a thread on your pet hates to do with horses!, it will be fun to read as heard of some strange ones before!
Mine;
I hate seeing clipped hearts on bum! I think the are tacky! Only suiting the cute small ponies!

Blitzen

Visit site
Agreed! I also hate seeing them smothered in sheepskin - numnah, half pad, sheepskin lined boots, girth sleeve, points on martingales, huge fluffy grackles - they look like teddy bears! Oh, and hunter clipped happy hackers that go out once a week. Oh god my list is endless, lol

Fools Motto

Visit site
Lots I expect!!!

When removing turnout rugs, I like to do the hind straps back up, so when you put said rug back on, the straps don't flick onto the horse! Why people don't do this, I have no idea!!!

Trace/blanket clips that 'go up around the tail'.... WHY? A horse doesn't sweat either side of their tail! Just finish it off in a straight line.

The usual, not hats no gloves!!!!

People who dismount leg over the neck.

People who insist that children who are barely able to rise to the trot on the lead rein have to be kitted out in body protectors. Give them some freedom please!!

Travel boots that are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot! Either get the proper ones or use bandages.

Furry little ponies wearing rugs, and in some cases more than 1!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Agreed! I also hate seeing them smothered in sheepskin - numnah, half pad, sheepskin lined boots, girth sleeve, points on martingales, huge fluffy grackles - they look like teddy bears!

I beg to be forgiven... my poor mare needs her fluffy girth cover to prevent girth galls. She also has a fluffy noseband cover that I need to use with one particular noseband (it's not padded). :eek:

My pet hate is when I meet other riders/walkers/cyclists out hacking and I say 'hello' and smile as we pass and they ingnore me. Totally rude. :mad:

abina

Visit site
Oh big long list - mainly to do with turnout, that's the presentation of horse & rider.

Hacking out with shavings still stuck in tail
Riding in sloppy track suit bottoms and those god awful mucker boots.
Smoking while riding
Using phone while riding
Big one here ... NO HAT WHILE RIDING/HANDLING
jackets open and flapping about
muddy riding boots- unless genuine hunting mud !
badly and ill fitting tack
Flash nosebands that have dropped and stretched and lays in the wrong place
straps not in keepers
hooves not oiled before going out
Tacky and bad clipping - the only shape I clip is a saddle shape ! (tradional hnters only)
Second big one ...........People who make up aliments for their horses to get out of riding , instead of asking for help ( I lost my nerve etc )
Water and feed buckets not scrubbed out
messy hay barns and feed rooms

is that enough to get going with !! ;-)

have more if needed !! xx

superted1989

Visit site
I shall try to keep it short..................
Dirty tack
Leaving horses tied up in yard or, to horsebox at shows, then wandering off (for more than an emergency dash to the loo!)
Only using good quality tack for shows/special occasions but using inferior stuff for day to day. Surely the good gear is far more comfortable, and safer, than cheap stuff
Dutch gags, bottom ring, on 'supersafe' kids ponies because they're trendy
Aggressive, 'pony club' mums

And

Super bling browbands on hunter/cobby types!

Bettyboo222

Visit site
I don't wear gloves as I can't stand it, I know I should but the only time I wear gloves is when I am really really cold, or at a show.

Riders with no hi-vis
horses that are schooled 24/7 and never allowed to have a good blast
Kids on 15.2 horses where their legs barely clear the saddle.
Rude people at shows
People leading horses on roads without a hat especialy <16's I wear a hat to lead my 44 year old
Parents who let theyr kids run up to your ponies without asking if its ok
Owners who let their dogs run up to your ponies without asking if its ok
non-horsey people who pass judgment on B or T without learning the facts
(ie. Yes she is skinny, Yes I do feed her enough, No, I am not cruel she is 44 for frigs sake !!! )
People who have their horses head strapped down
People who crank in their horses head instead of getting them on the bit

And breathe :D

StormyMoments

Visit site
horses with snotty noses and gunky eyes - i know it cant be helped but it looks nasty and makes me feel ill :eek:

people who moan about what bit you use on your horse when they dont even know the horse and then ask why you didnt use something else like a gag -.-

people think that you are a bad owner if your horses main and tail arnt brushed before they are ridden

people who judge me because i stable my horses in their turnouts even though i have stable rugs

ill fitting tack

bling on horses its not a hate but i wouldnt do it to my horses :eek:

people who dont call their dogs when you are hacking

hacking with no hat or hi -vis

people who completely baby their horses

i have more but thats my rant over :)

Hells Bells

Visit site
Oh gosh, this is going to make me sound like a right grumpy old woman...:rolleyes:

1- People who hack without hats- i dont care how good you are, have some sense! Also without hats in general, but whilst on the road, REALLY bugs me.

2-People who dont use high viz stuff in the evening- dur!

3- When youre at a show, and the pony club mothers come out to play. My mum was a VERY old fashioned horsey mother, but the ones nowadays just seem so annoying!

4- When people give conflicting aids to a horse/pony and it tries its best to work out want they want, but they still get angry with them. (I do understand that we all get it wrong sometimes, but im referring to the ones that think they can ride better then anyone here..)

5- Over rugging. Big hairy welshies do not all require 2 or 3 hw rugs in November- theyre tough little blighters!

6- Putting lots of fancy contraptions on the horse in terms of tack, that obviously arent necessary, but looks good.

7-Not picking out feet before riding.

8- Always blaming the horse.

9- Trying to get a horse on the bit- by hacking away at its mouth- WHYYY?

10- Showing off in general.

Think i'll leave it there... im not always grumpy i promise!

Ali27

Visit site
Over rugging, not poo picking or checking water in field, not checking on horse every day, over weight horses, not wearing hi viz, not wearing helmet when riding, small beds in stables, not giving enough hay over night (soak it for 12 hours plus if you are worried about calories).

stacie21

Visit site
well i think this is a big one and no one mentioned it specifically
NOT WASHING YOUR BIT AFTER USE SO IT GETS THAT BIG CRUSTY RING ON IT THEN WANDER WHY HORSE GETS A SORE MOUTH ITS DISTGUSTIONG AND LAZY

over kill on gadgets, strapping down heads etc

rudeness a smile or hello cost nothing

people interfering telling you what you should or should not be doing with your horse

people with dogs up the yard running around doing what they please and getting told when i try to leave DONT RUN MY DOG OVER lol they pee in my stable on hay, chew brushes, poo everywhere and run around the horses . you get paranoid i dont take mine up there as i will not be able to relax and enjoy horse.

rant over lol i'm sure i got more
oh yeah and starving the poor buggers get off ya bum and if cant ride lead out or just more exercise

maresmaid

Visit site
Lots of the above - but also...
Throat lashes fastened too tight.
Saddle cloths that lie tight accross the withers.
Horses hacked out on roads with no knee boots.
Riders wearing wellies ( even worse if they have jacket unfastened, long hair not tied up or no hair net under their out -of -date- hat with no chin strap, with no Hi-Viz, fag in one hand and mobile phone in the other! lol)
Big horses stabled on beds which aren't big enough or deep enough for small ponies!

Firewell

Visit site
Peoples dogs who poo and wee over my hay.

People who don't warm their horses up on the lunge before attaching side reins.

Hugely overweight hairy horses wearing a rug and being given a feed.

Riders who don't say thankyou to cars that slow down.

Pushy mothers

People who don't wash the horses bit after riding.

Bandages done up too tightly

Treating hairy ponies like they are TB competition horses and then wondering why they are naughty.

People who tell me how I should look after my own horse ;)

emmaln

Visit site
Rudeness!!! I can't stand rude people on any level and rude horsey people are the worst!!

Riders not thanking cars.

Unnecessary gadgets/tack

Sawing at a horses mouth

Fake outlines, can't stand it when people pull their horses heads in then let there back end slop along, then they wonder why the horses get tight through their backs!! Oh and even worse when it is not picked up in low level dressage!!!!!!

When people who only school once every 2 weeks and ride once/twice a week get absty because their horse won't "go On the bit!!"

People who don't clear up after themselves

Selfishness

Think I'll stop there!!!!!

maresmaid

Visit site
Another one here..

When my 76yr old Mum, who really CANNOT do with straps not put in their keepers, insists on stopping me, just as I am about to go into a dressage test, so that she can put the strap on my noseband back into the keeper that keeps sliding down!

xTrooperx

Visit site
i have a few but main ones -

1) dark green drinking water in fields - not hard to clean now and then.

2) people that muck out stables now and then and put the horse in a dirty stable, or worse no bedding and dirty.

3) people who do not poo pick fields and looks like more poo than grass. better for the grass/horses and helps reduce worms and looks so much nicer.

4) people who neglect any pony/horse - i dont care why or their reasons just no need. its not hard to call a farrier/vet/ or give basic feed/water etc..

badgerdog

Visit site
People who insist on putting rugs on there horses that are one to two sizes too big.

Over rugging.

Horses who are only ridden a few times a week getting fully clipped out (because it looks smart!)

People who don't tidy up their own mess.

Horses not getting enough turnout.

I'm sure there are loads more, that's all I can thing of at the moment.

abina

Visit site
Another one here..

When my 76yr old Mum, who really CANNOT do with straps not put in their keepers, insists on stopping me, just as I am about to go into a dressage test, so that she can put the strap on my noseband back into the keeper that keeps sliding down!

Me and your mum would get along fine !!! lol x

Queenbee

Visit site
I beg to be forgiven... my poor mare needs her fluffy girth cover to prevent girth galls. She also has a fluffy noseband cover that I need to use with one particular noseband (it's not padded). :eek:

My pet hate is when I meet other riders/walkers/cyclists out hacking and I say 'hello' and smile as we pass and they ingnore me. Totally rude. :mad:

faracat, can I just pick you up on this, you keep arabs don't you? Is this mare an arab and is it a trait that arabs suffer from (girth galls). Its just that YO has spent a small fortune chopping and changing her girths for her arab due to this, she has now found the perfect one but I just wondered whether this was a common occurence in arabs?