Things to do in Edinburgh....

BallyJ

Visit site
Good afternoon all,

We're going for a trip to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

We're big foodies so restaurant recommendations are welcome & any good museums?

Quite fancy doing one of the ghost tours... how scary are these? (just me and OH so no children involved!)

Kat_Bath

Visit site
When a friend of mine came to visit, I took her on a tour of South Bridge with Mercat Tours and it was very good. Informative more so than intentionally scary. The history is very interesting.

I haven't been across to Edinburgh now for yonks so can't comment on food really but there used to be so many good places. I'm sure someone will recommend somewhere but I will say I don't think I ever had dinner in the centre of town - it was always little side streets or just off the beaten track, so to speak. The National Museum is good (spent many a lunch break there, sitting amongst people and things, or having a stroll around). There are some lovely galleries too.

I haven't been but I'd like to go to Tom Kitchin's restaurant in Leith - it's meant to be very good.

If you fancy a windy walk, Cramond beach and island are nice (check tide times!) and again, I haven't been, but there are various boat trips to islands/around the bridges as well.

BallyJ

Visit site
That's good to hear about the tours! I'll look into them, I love history tours! I've been recommended Dishoom and Kyloe for evening meals they both look interesting! Definitely need to explore the castle too :)

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Good afternoon all,

We're going for a trip to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

We're big foodies so restaurant recommendations are welcome & any good museums?

Quite fancy doing one of the ghost tours... how scary are these? (just me and OH so no children involved!)
The Balmoral Hotel has a Michelin star restaurant. They also do an afternoon tea which is lovely.
Mono also has a Michelin star.
There are actually loads of great restaurants within the city.
The Museum of Childhood is on the Royal Mile and is worth a visit though all the dolls staring out from their glass containers is the stuff of nightmares.
If you are on the Royal Mile you could go into the original Parliament house building. The Court of Session is based there. The parliament hall is amazing. The ceiling and walls are stunning. In the winter they light the fires. All the Advocates and QCs walk up and down the hall as they have done for many years
Edinburgh Castle is also good to visit.
Mary King's close is also on the Royal Mile.
You could also take a bus trip around the city (covid permitting).
There is so much to do in Edinburgh. I hope you have a lovely time when you go.

Last edited:

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Definitely agree about Dishoom (especially for breakfast) and Kyloe. Tom Kitchen's does a really good value set menu for lunch!
Rosslyn Chapel is supposed to be a fabulous visit! Dynamic Earth used to be so interesting too!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The underground Edinburgh tour ( entrance is on the royal mile ) is definitely worth doing .
I would book in advance .
To eat The Witchery at the top of the royal mile and Kitchin in Leith are favourites of ours .
If you like antiques you can spend hours in Georgian Antiques on Pattinson street in Leith in an old bonded warehouse its the biggest collection of antique furniture I have ever seen I love spending time there .

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
Definitely agree about Dishoom (especially for breakfast) and Kyloe. Tom Kitchen's does a really good value set menu for lunch!
Rosslyn Chapel is supposed to be a fabulous visit! Dynamic Earth used to be so interesting too!
Dean village is a 10 minute walk from Haymarket station. That is worth a visit too.

alibali

Visit site
Walk along the Water of Leith walkway especially in the Stockbridge/Dean area. Brittania was closed due to Covid but may have reopened. Fabulous views from Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill. Wallace Monument worth a climb.

cariad

Visit site
Greyfriars Cemetery and Greyfriars Bobby -the water fountain is outside the actual graveyard. The cemetery is just like a series of Hammer Horror film locations.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I think everyone's already suggested where I was going to say! If you're into art, there's a big gallery (National Gallery of Scotland I *think*, it's years since I was last in Edinburgh) near the station.

adamntitch

Visit site
Would not bother we have just been kept in tier 2 I live basically 5 mins from the bridges and its not looking good due to break outs in davidsons mains and silverknowes schools are talking about closeing again and i think all we need is more tourists if your even allowed coming here

McFluff

Visit site
Lots of good suggestions above. The national gallery (Princes Street), and the portrait gallery (Queen Street) are also both good, if you like art!
Just make sure you book everything in advance as reduced capacity is meaning things booked out (eg can’t get Dishoom at weekend in June unless eating very early!). You’ll have to book some activities too, so check before you travel.
with planning though, even in ‘level 2’, you should have a great time. And in a couple of weeks, edinburgh may be in level 1 ( fingers crossed).
Personally I love just walking around the city. The royal mile is lovely, the new town is impressive. It’s a really compact city so you can walk to see most of the things mentioned so far.
Harvey Nics used to be good for cocktails with a view, but I’ve no idea how the restrictions have impacted on that.
the John Lewis cafe has some of the best views around.
I’ve just realised how much I’ve missed being in edinburgh (I live about half an hour away, but now working from home and been locked down, so not been in for ages!).

BallyJ

Visit site
I've never been before, and i think we need to book a second visit already!

We're only there for 2 nights and we're staying at the Scotsman which I think is quite central! Getting lots booked now, thanks Adamntitch will definitely keep an eye out on restrictions!

Can't believe how much there is to do! Can't wait to just walk around the city. Bought extra masks and hand sanitiser and we obviously won't be travelling if either one comes into contact or gets any symptoms!

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
I've never been before, and i think we need to book a second visit already!

We're only there for 2 nights and we're staying at the Scotsman which I think is quite central! Getting lots booked now, thanks Adamntitch will definitely keep an eye out on restrictions!

Can't believe how much there is to do! Can't wait to just walk around the city. Bought extra masks and hand sanitiser and we obviously won't be travelling if either one comes into contact or gets any symptoms!
The Scotsman is just off the Royal Mile so will be handy for going there.
If you do come again (and the restrictions allow) book for Christmas. It is brilliant then. The Christmas markets are great and Princess Street Gardens are lovely. I think personally it is the best time to go to Edinburgh apart from the weather.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
If we re being totally honest you need a prolonged break so you can visit Stirling (I think Stirling castle is a nicer experience than Edinburgh) and Glasgow which I prefer to Edinburgh generally (not at Christmas though.....Edinburgh does have the edge then). Yep you d better book up your next visit ?