Things you have learned when dealing with youngsters

soloequestrian

Visit site
My two from this weekend:
Be careful which gloves you choose for lunging. Picked up the nearest pair yesterday only to discover when she was behaving like an idiot that they had no grip at all.
Be careful which boots you wear for walking. Took her on a 'hack' (leading) today in my walking boots having just shoved on my breeches. Got stones in my boots. Horse decided she was in a tizz so I couldn't really take a boot off. Ho hum. At least I had my leather gloves on today.

only_me

Visit site
Every problem has a number of solutions and don't be rigid when dealing with young horses, work to your horse not to a schedule.

whiteflower

Visit site
That when you seem stuck with a problem, suddenly you look back and notice how far you have come ! I try not to get hung up on any issues and keep ploughing on and revisiting and then suddenly you realise the issue is no longer ! I love doing the youngsters, the constant learning curve, their individuality and the sense of achievement when the understanding comes through and they 'get it'

meesha

Visit site
When you think they have tried every trick in the book they suddenly find something new to throw at you, well worth the journey though!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
That simply letting them stop and have a really good look at the scary thing automatically transforms it into a far less scary, and indeed possibly very interesting thing.

That pre-emptively taking them over to investigate new things that they haven't had a chance to class as scary yet pretty much guarantees that they won't class them as scary at all.

That rugs and headcollars exist merely to be grown out of as quickly as possible.

That if they can't go over the electric fence, they'll go under it, or else through it if there's enough space, so always use at least three lines of tape and avoid having too much space between them.

That if they can reach it, it will end up in their mouth.

That they have a far longer reach than you might expect.

That teething makes everyone involved miserable.

That learning to balance properly on three legs whilst a human does strange things to the fourth hoof takes time and is a bit scary at first.

That they actively enjoy finding new and inventive ways to spend my money, and if this can possibly involve the vet then so much the better.

That some humans should never be allowed anywhere near a youngster (or any other animal).

That I much prefer horses (and other animals) to aforementioned humans.

That gin helps.

Asha

Visit site
Patience is key, followed by firm but fair handling.

I agree with above ^^^ Gin helps, but then Gin helps with everything

SEL

Visit site
Ditto gin. My neighbour gave me a homemade BlackBerry gin last Xmas which was lush. A very large vet's bill means gin is now finished.

I don't think my horse counts as young now but she's had so much time on sick leave that educationally she's done less than most people's 4 YOs. I've had a few weeks where it's felt like we're going forever backwards - then I met a lady who knew us when I first got her. She kindly reminded me what a horror she was as a youngster and said how lovely she was now. So they get there in the end - just sometimes it's not at the speed we hope for!!

SEL

Visit site
Plus I'm going to add that not everything is intuitive to a young horse. Standing on 3 legs, being asked to move over, rugs, tying up, not going where they want to go, trotting in hand. All of those had to be slowly taught to my mare. Much to the surprise of many of my fellow liveries.......

Louby

Visit site
How to laugh lol. I have owned my first proper youngster, I mean as in practically untouched for 3 mths now and despite having omg moments, she has certainly made me laugh with her antics

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Don't overthink, and never underthink
Don't overreact, should also avoid under reacting
Don't push them too fast, watch for trouble if you take things too slow
Be disciplined but never try to run to a timescale
Always be open minded
Don't waste energy being upset about stuff being trashed
Training a young horse is the greatest privilege I've found in this world

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I dread when my YO goes on holiday. I cover as horse mother while she's away and take care of the yard, and YO has a rising 3yo who is just plain unpleasant. Very rude, LOVES to test boundaries, has no sense of personal space, and treats humans like playthings in the field. She turns any effort to teach her better manners into an epic battle that can sometimes take over an hour to resolve before she will give in. But on the bright side, her being so extreme has taught me the value of doing things right the first time around and not having to repeat them. Consistency and firmness - it takes up valuable time I'd much rather be spending with my own horse, but I've noticed that the battles I have with YO's youngster are fewer and fewer, and she is at least grudgingly respectful now, whereas before she just loved any excuse to try it on. Though god how I wish there was a quick fix for her attitude.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
That simply letting them stop and have a really good look at the scary thing automatically transforms it into a far less scary, and indeed possibly very interesting thing.

That pre-emptively taking them over to investigate new things that they haven't had a chance to class as scary yet pretty much guarantees that they won't class them as scary at all.

That rugs and headcollars exist merely to be grown out of as quickly as possible.

That if they can't go over the electric fence, they'll go under it, or else through it if there's enough space, so always use at least three lines of tape and avoid having too much space between them.

That if they can reach it, it will end up in their mouth.

That they have a far longer reach than you might expect.

That teething makes everyone involved miserable.

That learning to balance properly on three legs whilst a human does strange things to the fourth hoof takes time and is a bit scary at first.

That they actively enjoy finding new and inventive ways to spend my money, and if this can possibly involve the vet then so much the better.

That some humans should never be allowed anywhere near a youngster (or any other animal).

That I much prefer horses (and other animals) to aforementioned humans.

That gin helps.

All this but Whiskey instead of gin!

DD

Visit site
loving this thread. Yesterday my youngster was perfectly behaved and did everything asked today he was a horror.

Brummyrat

Visit site
I would agree to all of these but would like to add my own...no matter how much you think you've prepared at home walking and trotting in hand with other horses around him, when doing your first little in-hand show to "get him out", dress like an American Footballer unless you want to spend the following week looking as if you've been run over :)

windand rain

Visit site
The thing I have found is always be consistant.
Always finish on a good note even if it takes all day.
If you don't expect trouble 9 times out of 10 you don't get it.
Treat every new experience a learning exercise
Within reason treat a young horse as you would an old one dont make allowances for bad behaviour
All the above have worked for me with a variey of straght from the field foals to 2 year olds
Recently I have found it is harder to start handling the older they get but they get it quicker
Stay quiet and calm but that applies to all horses in my book

sparhawk

Visit site
If possible don't start them on a new experience when you are short of time and in a rush.

If possible don't start trying to teach them to lunge by yourself, it's better if you have a helper to lead them round out on the circle just to start with.

Practice what the farrier does with them yourself, don't expect the farrier to teach them to pick up their feet and hold them up for a period longer than just to pick them out.

GemG

Visit site
Patience, common sense, more patience.

Set yourself up to 'win' any potential battles first before you start.. make it easy for them to make the right move/when.

Don't tit bit feed.

If there rear/go up in the air... let them have their airbourn moment, ignore, are you finished, move on. They will get less frequent with time/experience for sure. Don't make a big deal out if things, but they will be made to go where they're meant to go (even if it takes time)... patience and time work over bullying long term. For example I want my horse to load because it wants to follow my lead, understands what is expected and doesn't find it a fearful place rather than jumping in out of fear of getting physical punishment.

It's a real art knowing exactly when to praise, and when to punish (the latter only very occasionally being required).

Recognise your horses comfort zone and seek to extend it slowly without any real dramas.

It's a very exciting time and you forget how far you've come when you reach a stumbling block. A lot depends what 'handling or training' has or has not happened prior to you getting the youngster. Luckily ours has been with us since conception, so we know exactly what she has been exposed to and on the whole she is very good.

Show them things. Everything. Let them sniff it, taste, rub it on them. Yes, even the plastic shopping bag.

* lots of great points already mentioned!

Nasicus

Visit site
Don't be afraid to move the goalposts. It's better so do a smaller thing successfully than wind the both of you up trying to do the full thing. You can always try again another time.

As much as you think you know them, don't get complacent. Get complacent and you're likely to get hurt.

McFluff

Visit site
Some really good nuggets here - and I don't think they apply just to youngsters.

My mare has taught me that I'm teaching her all the time - and she can learn the wrong thing just as quickly as the right thing - so be very mindful and consistent in your own behaviour (but not so rigid that they freak if you do something different!).

And set them up to succeed.

Gin - pink grapefruit juice and sparkling water is lovely. Or have you tried Fever Tree Tonic - I can't stand normal tonic (think its the sweetners), but Fever Tree is lovely. Ginger ale is quite good too...

SEL

Visit site
Wear steel toe caps

I've got a 13 yo draft that reminds me on the odd eye watering occasion that steel toe caps aren't just for babies.

Poor boy is mortified whenever he accidentally steps on you. A stamp of the foot when the flies got annoying meant I couldn't wear tight shoes for 8 weeks last year!

Circe

Visit site
Ignore the bad and reward the good.
Deal with the horse you have on the day. Even if he was a monster the day before and pushed all your buttons, dont assume he'll be like that again.
Kx

blitznbobs

Visit site
Ignore the bad and reward the good.
Deal with the horse you have on the day. Even if he was a monster the day before and pushed all your buttons, dont assume he'll be like that again.
Kx

This

And it's not personal, they all have different personalities and that there will be some very bad months but just when you are thinking of shooting the b**** and quitting horses all together there is a breakthrough and it's the best horse in the world again