Think I am going mad

windand rain

Visit site
Recently started teaching again after many years away Started end of last year
First set of pupils were already people who had had lessons I wouldn't go as far as saying they were riders without fail every one has come to me with rigid elbows stuck out in front of them, using the reins to steer, stop and start and almost without fail with a tipped looking down at the floor posture. Is this the modern way of teaching and is this acceptable.
If so I think I may well stop again.
I was taught by a european team member dressage rider to ride with a soft contact and flexible elbows hands moving with the movement in walk and canter and still in trot. Is this no longer taught.
I was taught too that you should be able to do 10 meter circles without any reins in all three schooling paces just by using weight aids and no not on a lunge
Help I am confused

Having said that two of my new pupils are now riding with body weight and control on very hot horses into a contact and for the first time the horses are on the bit properly coming through from behind and not hauled into an outline One went from the horse tanking out of the indoor school in its first dressage test to winning her test a couple of weeks ago so my method still works but why is there such a change I sometimes feel I am talking chinese

Elsiecat

Visit site
No one is born knowing how to ride. Presumably they are attempting to improve hence having lessons.. I don't see the problem! If they've only been learning a few months then how would they know what to do properly? Surely that's your job?

windand rain

Visit site
Sorry should have said they have been riding years, own their own horses and are taught this way it would seem. Yes they do want to learn but its like starting again for most

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was taught more recently to carry my hands further forward than of old, but with relaxed elbows. It took me a bit of time to get the idea, but I now prefer it than when I was told to keep my elbows by my side. This trainer trains with Stephen Clarke, so she shouldn't be too off the wall in her approach.

I feel that I am riding towards the contact more. Maybe these riders have learned the hands forward bit, but not picked up the relaxed elbows bit?

Elsiecat

Visit site
That is surprising then, you're right! I was presuming they were a novice class in riding school!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
OP you were taught well and they were not, which is why they're coming for lessons after many years of trying on their own.

There are two issues really. The standard of riding instruction from most who teach novice to intermediate riders (and some competiton riders / supposed "experts" teaching more advanced riders) is generally appalling IMO. Then there is the problem of those who have minimal, if any, lessons and buy a horse with no plans or finances to have lessons.

I see it as a vicious circle. Imagine you are a novice rider. You see people who've owned/ridden for years or had lessons at a riding school for years and they are for the most part, frankly still a bit rubbish in their riding skill. Then its no wonder people who've had a few lessons (perhaps off their friend on an old arthritic horse or at a riding school on a quiet plodder) and have reached the same low standard as those all around them, now think they've mastered the art of riding fairly well. Or at least sufficiently well to get their own horse. I guess its subjective, because if they're not falling off every week then perhaps they're right and they have got sufficient skill.

I think its only when people want to go further in competition or start having problems with their horse that they think about further lessons. So please don't give up OP because these people need you! Decent instructors are in the minority.