Think I might take up driving...

Casey76

Visit site
... just for this harness!

14125050_10205572930282811_3969643932223699390_o.jpg

Seriously, I'm having so many issues riding my boy (my issues, due to hip injury, I find it very painful to sit on him), that I'm considering a change of career for him.

I'd love to learn how to drive, and at least this would keep him fit ;)

Nudibranch

Visit site
Wow - that is beautiful.

Driving is fab; you should definitely do it. I'm thinking about getting back into it if I can find a 2 wheel vehicle to fit a rather large horse. Great fun (I used to do scurry with ponies) and you can take out non-riders too.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Driving is great fun while it's not as challenging as riding on the hip and back it is jarring so expect a complete end to pain .
I used to do horse driving trials and the day after the marathon I sometimes felt as bad as after a day's hunting .
A good driving horse needs to naturally forward going and calm and very good in traffic .

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've often been tempted! Shetland would like a job but I'm not sure he'd ever be sane enough!
There is a lady locally to me that occasionally advertises driving taster days that I always think look good.
I remember a guy at my old yard who bought his daughters an old trotter. They lost interest pretty quickly but he was hooked. The mare was too small for him to learn to ride so he learnt to drive, broke said mare to drive which amazed me! (He was completely clueless with horses only months earlier!)
They always looked so lovely trotting down the road on a sunny day.

Borderreiver

Visit site
I love driving my home bred Highland. Riding for me was becoming increasingly painful and I found myself doing less when I've always been keen on lots of long hacks. Now I don't miss it at all as driving has opened up a whole new world and we do driven hacking instead including lots of trotting and some canters. My pony seems to love it too. No more worries about not being able to sit straight with wonky back/hips and especially I don't miss all the hassle of saddles needing constant refitting.

neddy man

Visit site
Wow - that is beautiful.

Driving is fab; you should definitely do it. I'm thinking about getting back into it if I can find a 2 wheel vehicle to fit a rather large horse. Great fun (I used to do scurry with ponies) and you can take out non-riders too.
bakewell show had a driving class of driven shires in 2 wheeled carts , it was impressive , check their web page to see if there are any pics, e mail them they may give you an entrants name to find a cart stockist.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My friend took up driving last year and really enjoys it. She reached a milestone birthday and had trouble mounting so decided that she would prefer to drive rather than ride. We go out together round the forest and village with her pony and lovely carriage.

Equi

Visit site
When i was not riding, driving really filled a hole. I still could not give up riding, but then i did not HAVE to. But i know now that when i do i will drive. I could never dream of training a horse to ride, cause im generally too big, and would not feel comfortable having a 17hh+ youngster lol but i have taught all my minis to drive with huge success and enjoyment. I've got a new, younger, more diva mare in to try out. Can't wait! Yes they are only miniature, but they still take the same training and guiden

This is my stallion:
12189976_10206568471547971_7223651202142936914_n.jpg

My older brood mare:
11102794_10205128836277989_2375686775484325697_n.jpg

Younger one:
11427696_10205691403381815_6040212904323516049_n.jpg

Patchworkpony

Visit site
When i was not riding, driving really filled a hole. I still could not give up riding, but then i did not HAVE to. But i know now that when i do i will drive. I could never dream of training a horse to ride, cause im generally too big, and would not feel comfortable having a 17hh+ youngster lol but i have taught all my minis to drive with huge success and enjoyment. I've got a new, younger, more diva mare in to try out. Can't wait! Yes they are only miniature, but they still take the same training and guiden

This is my stallion:
12189976_10206568471547971_7223651202142936914_n.jpg

My older brood mare:
11102794_10205128836277989_2375686775484325697_n.jpg

Younger one:
11427696_10205691403381815_6040212904323516049_n.jpg
Thank you for such lovely inspiring pictures! I no longer have the energy and facilities to keep big ponies so am in the process of setting up for minis. Thought about driving again with these but was worried about them pulling my weight - now I think it is possible. Do you travel them and the trap away from home - if so do you use a lorry or a trailer etc.?

Equi

Visit site
Thank you for such lovely inspiring pictures! I no longer have the energy and facilities to keep big ponies so am in the process of setting up for minis. Thought about driving again with these but was worried about them pulling my weight - now I think it is possible. Do you travel them and the trap away from home - if so do you use a lorry or a trailer etc.?

I use a standard ifor 505. the cart is a robinsons and it fits in just at the front then I tie ponies to the back :)

Kylara

Visit site
Saw a fair of minis and little pair carriage all in a van conversion at smiths lawn on Sunday! Very cute.
We drive sec As. I ride them as well but owner just drives. Loads you can do with them as well - trec, hacking, driving trials indoor and outdoor, showing etc etc and generally everyone is absolutely lovely and really helpful.

Be warned though - you think riding people hoard tack, wait till you see a harness room. "It might come in handy" whilst looking at 6 1/2" bits that we'd never use as only drive ponies for foreseeable future! But you never know ;)

Lots of people drive when it's no longer comfortable to ride, and you can get cushions for the seats as well to make it more comfy.

Casey76

Visit site
The main questions in my head I have is that most people drive minis, my boy is 16.2, so finding a suitable vehicle and harnais may be a bit of an issue, and how would I exercise him if there is no one around to come out with me? Ah well, something to ponder over!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Awesome! I'm wondering if a 4 wheeler might be the way to go. More room for passengers!

OP have you looked into Bennington and Bellcrown vehicles? I suspect they might just cover a 16.2. I think you are in France though so not sure how helpful that is. Mine's 17.3 and still growing so afaik they won't be big enough. Might check out the shire vehicles mentioned earlier though.

Katastrophy

Visit site
I suppose this is where I come in...! 16.1 (full up) Hunter/sports horse, to a Bennington BX4. I accidentally bought a spare carriage for him, along with a schroëder harness very like the one pictured, but black bound with dark tan... They're rare but lovely pieces! Here's my boy-

5F5C8FAA-FA56-4486-B579-62B46E28499C_zpsnalzem83.png

He's just taken a brand new driver around her first trial on Sunday, she's been driving for two months and he was a star!

And ps, Goldenstar and borderreiver, we miss you both at events... :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I suppose this is where I come in...! 16.1 (full up) Hunter/sports horse, to a Bennington BX4. I accidentally bought a spare carriage for him, along with a schroëder harness very like the one pictured, but black bound with dark tan... They're rare but lovely pieces! Here's my boy-

5F5C8FAA-FA56-4486-B579-62B46E28499C_zpsnalzem83.png

He's just taken a brand new driver around her first trial on Sunday, she's been driving for two months and he was a star!

And ps, Goldenstar and borderreiver, we miss you both at events... :D

Aw that's nice to know the lack of a driving horse has been under discussion at home recently .
OP you need a four wheel wagonette for your horses you can get them with tyres with air in more comfy for pleasure driving .
Hartland are also worth looking at ( good website )
And Google pony and carriage website for a browse at synthetic harness it's easy to get for Big horses like yours sadly saddle fit is as much of a trial as it is for ridden saddles .
Also carriagelink ,second carriages and stuff as well as horses and of dragon driving .

Ps we went out to Austria to watch the single world champs the harness trade stalls were lush

Last edited:

Sparkles

Visit site
Defo do it, it's great!
received_10157260115645366.jpeg

We did our first ever competition at equifest this weekend. Amazing time and super helpful driving people who helped, nothing judges stewards and competitors!

pansymouse

Visit site
My YO drives - she's probably in her late 70's/early 80's and thinks she's too creaky to ride (she seems pretty fit to me). She has a proper old fashioned Vanner with an exercise cart for everyday and a full bow top caravan for holidays. She's also unbelievably posh!