Think Itch - was anyone part of the trial last year?

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
If so, how did you find it?
Have just started his sweetitch feeds, marmite and brewers yeast started about 2 weeks ago, and have just added linseed this week as have heard good things about that too.
Am thinking about trying the think itch powder too, (and the sweetitch 'vaccine', something better bl**dy work!!!!!) so any first hand experiences of it would be lovely before I shell out yet more money for the little elephant!
Thankies.

Snowysadude

Visit site
Didnt use it on mine but the yard I kepy my horse at and was working at at the time had tw on in (in Leics). They were however told one was a placebo and one was the actual and it appeared to help the one that was not so severley affected but the one that was it didnt help at all! But then we dont know which one was the placebo :)

Natch

Visit site
I'll be really interested in the responses to this, as my first horse was a sweet itcher. The Boett completely sorted him though, although obviously it would have been nice to have not had to worry about mega doses of fly spray when riding!

Have you got a sweet itch rug, OP?

PennyJ

Visit site
Someone on here definitely was part of the trial, and thought it did some good. There was a thread not that long ago about buying a horse with sweet itch and she posted on that, the whole thing about Think Itch came up.

Or check through the posts by the member Brinicombe, they are the Think Itch people and posted on the thread I'm on about.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a tub and try it too. I'm feeding Brewers Yeast at the moment and waiting to see if that's doing any good. Certainly I have her in a no neck rug and she's not rubbing or scratching yet... Though it s still a bit early...

heatherxbella

Visit site
My horse suffers from sweet itch and she suffers really badly with it. At the moment she has started wearing her bug rug and I've been feeding her marmite sandwiches every day as was recommended to. Let me know how it goes as have tried everything to try and get her to stop itching!

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
He does have a rug, yes, but he is a rug destroyer extrodinaire, no matter what rug it is or what field he is in he manages to either take them off or rip them. He gets through approx 3 rugs a season. I just want to see if I can improve it with supps. Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em coming!

Boxers

Visit site
I tried marmite sandwiches with my pony last year and he loved them! But I'm not sure if they helped or not!

Anyway, I have a size 4 Boett for sale if anyone's interested - pm me.

archiesmum

Visit site
Hi, my shetland was part of the trial last year and is the one featured in the photo's and testimonials on the Brinicombe website.
Jacko has suffered with SI since he was gelded at 5... he is now in his 27th year. I tried all the lotions, potions and rugs over the years. The Boett was good but for the price, it didn't last the whole SI season and would need repaing by July/August (he was electric fenced away from hedges and had a 'soft' rubber bucket) so would still rub him self bald/raw depending on how dry the ground was. He has perfected the art of sitting like a dog and going round in circles to itch his tail!

I will hand on heart say I couldn't believe the difference!! The trial was started mid way through the season so he was in attack and by the end of the tub he had a lovely coat, his rubbed skin was less angry and his hair was growing back!! His whole attitude had changed as he'd get quite stressy with being so itchy (understandable!) but he was alot calmer. He only had a fly rug on during the trial not a SI one and I stopped using the Nettex Stop Itch Salve (very good for soothing sore rubbed bits) once I started to see an improvement as he had no need for it. I would definately say try a tub as it was just one tub Jacko tried and it made a massive difference to him and it worked a lot quicker than I expected.

I would also like to say I am not part of or employed by Brinicombe Equine just a very very happy customer :)

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Wow, I saw the pictures of your pony and thought he looked much better. Glad you have found something that works. Can I ask - is the ammount fed dependant on the horses size?

howengold

Visit site
My little section A took part last summer. I can honestly say it did help, sadly it was a bit late in the year to make a huge difference but he did settle down not long after we started the trial and he even managed to leave his tail long enough to grow a bit of hair back!

Willow was on 3 to 4 scoups a day but a horse would have been on more, I have the tub still in the yard so will have a proper look tomorrow if I remember.

He has a boette but my naughty shettie and NF ripped it off him several times in the past few years....jealous of his new look lol

archiesmum

Visit site
He certainly did and it calmed down so much that when he finished the tub at the end of August (lasted a bit longer as I introduced it slowly) he didn't revert back to his destructive ways so it must have stayed in his system for a while! He was on the full 120g as he was a severe case. I was suprise that he ate it so well considering it is quite a lot of supplement on a single handful of feed! This amount was recommended by Brinicombe for the trial. Throw them and email or call if you are interested in the dosage rates as they are very helpful and answered any queries I had during the trial.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I've just started my mare, who is a sweet itch nightmare on fidavet Cavalesse, cost me an arm and a leg, she's on her first week doseage(3 in all), so will let you know how she gets on, as she's unridable during March - Nov, would love just to hack out again with her.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
hey all

i have a battle which scares me every year :rolleyes:
i have paddy on d itch but if i put think itch in feed too do you think they will work togeather or fight ???

D-Itch contains garlic which exaggerates the immune system's reaction to midge bites, essentially making the sweet itch worse. My boy was definitely worse with it so it might be worth making the switch.