Think its time

Visit site
Im pretty sure Im going to say goodbye to my little dog this week, he has just had another vestibular attack, and what with his age,the fact that his back legs are getting weak and his pancreatic problems I dont think I can put it off any longer. I know Im being selfish but what with all thats going on in my life at the moment Its even harder than normal.He not in any pain but he's not getting much out of life now. Im working up to ringing the vet, hope I dont have to leave him outside. He has been a little star all his life, never done anything wrong been a perfect gent

Visit site
So sorry that youre having to deal with this. We had to have our beloved cat PTS as an emergency a few weeks back. we were allowed in as had face masks on and they gave us hand sanitiserr and made sure we didnt touch door handles etc.

A truly terrible thing to deal with but it is the greatest gift that we can give our trusted companions, a dignified end before it becomes too painful for them.

Reactions: L&M

Chiffy

Visit site
So sorry PL, such a hard thing to do, even worse when living alone and unwell. Try to think of it as a last kindness. The vets should allow you in now, wearing a mask. Do your best to insist when you ring or ask them to come out to the car. Thinking of you xx

Parrotperson

Visit site
its so hard isn't it. But you are absolutely a good owner for doing the best by him. If necessary ask them to do it in your car so you can be with him if they wont let you in. Many hugs.

fankino04

Visit site
It's the last kind thing we can do for them but so terribly hard, sending hugs x is it worth when you ring seeing if there is a chance they could come out and do it in the garden maybe (presuming you can access the garden without going through the house).

angrybird1

Visit site
So sorry. I had to do it a month ago. It's so hard. My vet came out and did it in the garden. It was as nice as it could have been.

meleeka

Visit site
So sorry to read this. I think you are doing the right thing if the vestibular episodes can’t be controlled. I was slightly more fortunate that mine was diagnosed with high blood pressure as a cause. Tablets stopped it happening. Tumours finished her off 9 months later so I’d only borrowed some time anyway.
Thinking of you x

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong, but I presume you mention being selfish because you haven't already called the veterinarian. But when the dog isn't suffering, without it is a matter about estimating his quality of life, I don't think that being able to make a fast decision is the one and only right way. It is a difficult, and heartbreaking, decision to make, and if you need one, or a few days, that is okay.

With lots of sympathy, and {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}.

Follysmum

Visit site
Heartbreaking I do feel for you. We are nearing the time with one of ours, makes it worse as we recently lost one.

palo1

Visit site
So sad to hear this PL. It is always heartbreaking to have to say goodbye to a friend. Thinking of you. x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry but it sounds like the time is here. my collie cross had an attack last june and i have said if she has another bad one i will PTS as she is 14 and it took 5 months for a slow recovery last time and she is not back to how she was before so i feel at 14 it will be more difficult for her to recover sufficiently for a good quality of life. its the last kindness we can do for them. hugs xx

L&M

Visit site
Thoughts with you. I lost my 2 oldies within 6mnths of each other and such a hard call to make. But both of mine managed to travel to the vets and walk into the consulting room, so still had their dignity.

One also suffered from vestibular attacks and still not that commonly diagnosed - my vet initially put it down to arthritis. It is a horrible thing......

As with any animal, better a week to early than a minute too late. Look after yourself too xx

paddy555

Visit site
so sorry you are going to have to go through this. I took my dog to the vet yesterday. I was not allowed inside the door. Vet came out and was able to examine him outside only taking him inside to weigh him. So I guess that if you have a car and can leave him in there they may well inject him in there. That would at least be better being in his own vehicle and you could possibly sit him on your lap.
The vet seemed to have no problem being close to me during her exam. it was just I couldn't go inside with him if he had needed a closer exam.
Thinking of you.