Think Joe is due a week off

Ash the arab

Visit site
Took Joe dressaging today, and as usual, he was good and we were 2nd and 3rd! Whilst i was obviously pleased with the result, Joe was quite hard work and didn't really lite up at all in the show atmosphere.
I had a think and realised that since Christmas he has probably only had about 3 weeks without a comp
shocked.gif
, poor boy.
I bought him back into work in sept. after 18 months off in the field (he is only rising 8 now), he really hadn't done alot in his life before, so i think he probably needs a week totally off for his brain to rest and his body to chill!
Hopefully next week he will be feeling a bit fresher!

Does anyone else feel their horses need a break every now and then?

pottamus

Visit site
Yes, it does not hurt...my boy tends to have a week off in the summer when I am away all though this year he will be having lot's of long weekends off because that is what I am having as holiday!

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
Hi

Yes, I used to think that but then soon changed my mind when we went to the U21 champs at Sheepgate, travelled 6 hours there, competed in quite a few classes over several days and then travelled back. I thought Dutch would need a week off to recover but no, I put him in his stable after taking him for a nice walk etc.

An hour later he took the security bolt off of his stable door, undid the gate and flew around up the drive to the garden at a million miles an hour bucking and going mad so I decided against it! lol

Congratulations on your dressage results, if he is going well you could give him an easy week it would do him good. Although it sounds like he is very happy anyway!

Diana