Think my mini has lami

Kezzabell2

Visit site
He's been off for a few days. Not coming over to the gate etc And he looks funny when he walks.

Unfortunately he's not the easiest pony to catch so I'm meeting a friend tonight to try and herd him into a corner to grab him.

But can I have some advice. I'm going to section off my shelter for him and get the farrier out. Give a small amount of soaked hay

But what else? I've never had a lami pony

Kezzabell2

Visit site
But farrier can tell me for free if he thinks it's lami

Vet will be 150 and might say he's fine.

As I said I've never had a lami horse so I could be overly worried

exracehorse

Visit site
Shetland at our yard hasbeen under farrier care for ages with suspected lami. Box rest etc. Vet eventually called and bloods taken. Turned out to be epms? Count should be 25 but was 650!

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Don't keep ponies if you can't afford to call a vet when they are ill or in pain. Delaying treatment could be catastrophic for your pony if the bones rotate.

amandap

Visit site
He's been off for a few days. Not coming over to the gate etc And he looks funny when he walks.

Unfortunately he's not the easiest pony to catch so I'm meeting a friend tonight to try and herd him into a corner to grab him.

But can I have some advice. I'm going to section off my shelter for him and get the farrier out. Give a small amount of soaked hay

But what else? I've never had a lami pony
You need a vet to diagnose first. Vets are qualified to diagnose, farriers and owners are not. Diet is crucial in laminitis recovery and management. Well soaked and rinsed hay is a fundamental in an acute episode.

http://ecirhorse.org/
http://www.thelaminitissite.org/

touchstone

Visit site
Ditto the others, he really needs pain relief and anti inflammatory meds if he has laminitis. Off grass, on plenty of well soaked hay and on a deep bed as an emergency measure. I hope you can get him in and sorted quickly, time is really of the essence if it is lamintis.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Well on the plus side I suppose if he can't be caught then it can't be too bad.

Seriously OP have you ever had an infection under a fingernail? Remember how painful that was? Now imagine that your finger nail went all the way round your finger. That would intensify the pain threefold. That is what your pony will have to put up with if you don't make a serious effort to catch him and get professional advice on how to treat him.

Whilst you have the vet out ask for advice on how to manage him in future so that he doesn't get it again.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
One of ours went down with lami a few weeks back (now diagnosed Cushings). Vet and farrier both said it was good that it was caught so early. I had got pony straight in, on deep bed and on Danilon. She is now sound and back in work but very carefully managed.

Please act quickly. It makes a big difference to outcome. With ours, as soon as she was on Danilon she was just so much more comfortable.

CazD

Visit site
Please, please get your vet out NOW. Two weeks ago I lost my horse of a lifetime to her first ever lami attack. Get the pony in off the field, deep shavings bed, pain relief and soaked hay. Lami is serious!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Another who would get the vet. Not only will the pony need bute/danilon to ease the inflammation, you need to spring on laminitis as soon as possible to stop the pedal bone from dropping/rotating. Definitely vet over farrier.

Michen

Visit site
These kind of threads just amaze me. I cannot believe that your horse would be off for a couple of days and that even if there was a hint of laminitis that you wouldn't be calling a vet and getting the horse off the field.

If you aren't willing to have the horse looked at by a vet because of the cost, don't have the horse.

3OldPonies

Visit site
VET - NOW!

He may need meds, and frog supports. Also you are going to need to keep him off the grass and not just for a few hours or days, on a nice deep supportive bed with a rationed amount of soaked hay.

If you're not experienced with managing lami you'll need a vet and not only for diagnosis. Do you know how to feel for the digital pulse? That is a clear indicator of lami, walking funny and not wanting to walk about can be lots of things. Once you are more experienced, and then only if you have the necessary back up and drugs to hand could be even begin to think about not calling the vet at the first signs. That only comes with experience though and you really can't afford to muck about where lami is concerned. Hopefully though, after this experience your management skills will kick in before the lami season kicks off, although it can strike at any time of year.

Sending healing vibes for your pony whether lami or something else.

Zero00000

Visit site
These kind of threads just amaze me. I cannot believe that your horse would be off for a couple of days and that even if there was a hint of laminitis that you wouldn't be calling a vet and getting the horse off the field.

If you aren't willing to have the horse looked at by a vet because of the cost, don't have the horse.

Couldn't agree more, £150 out of pocket or lose your pony?

Id be on the phone to the vet at the slightest hint of lami!

debsflo

Visit site
Shetland at our yard hasbeen under farrier care for ages with suspected lami. Box rest etc. Vet eventually called and bloods taken. Turned out to be ems? Count should be 25 but was 650!
This was mine,after 6 years came down with lami in Feb and found to have EMS. Being treated and after 8 weeks box rest she is up to 2 hours out daily.

littleshetland

Visit site

I have to agree with this. You must call the vet immediately. Meanwhile put the pony on a deep soft bed. Hope the pony recovers.....in the meantime perhaps start to plan an exercise regime for pony when he has recovered, this will really help his long term prospects.

touchstone

Visit site
How's the pony doing kezzabell, did you manage to get him in?

I hope he's either laminitis free or beginning to recover.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
He is fine. Thanks for all the concern

I can afford 150 but I wanted the opinion of my farrier first

He just had a stone in his hoof and has had a good trim. He's on a diet just in case and I've ordered him a muzzle so he doesn't have to be turned out on his own