Think my youngster has a sarcoid

southerncomfort

Visit site
Grooming my 5 year old yesterday I found what I am 99% sure is a sarcoid in his armpit.

Absolutely gutted.

I'll add a picture later but it is a flat area of hairless, thickened skin with the middle slightly raised and rounded.

I have the vet coming in a couple of weeks so I'll ask for confirmation then, but going to watch and wait.

Really hope it won't need treatment.

Reactions: TPO

Shoei

Visit site
I would try SarcEx - I am a massive advocate after the cream got rid of two on my gelding a few years back now! My friend has also had success with the powder.

It doesn't work for everyone but it is worth a try!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thanks MC. Bo's also looks like dry skin at the moment. I had a pony years ago who had 2 occult sarcoid and they were also like dry, thickened skin.

Shoei - thanks for that. It seems to have very good reviews. Did you used the supplement as well or just the cream?

Couple of pics:

20210916_134434.jpg
20210916_134439.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks MC. Bo's also looks like dry skin at the moment. I had a pony years ago who had 2 occult sarcoid and they were also like dry, thickened skin.

Shoei - thanks for that. It seems to have very good reviews. Did you used the supplement as well or just the cream?

Couple of pics:

View attachment 79609
View attachment 79610

How old is that lesion, do you know? It isn't in a classic place for an armpit sarcoid, which would, in my experience, be further back. It also seems to have a fly bite hole right in the middle of each of two faint circular bits about an inch apart. I'm hopeful for you that it's just an extreme reaction to fly bites.

My first port of call on that would be acyclovir cream for a couple of weeks.

Beware of messing with it with anything caustic like Newmarket cream without very supervision, if you fail to kill it it can come back very quickly with stronger growth.

southerncomfort

Visit site
How old is that lesion, do you know? It isn't in a classic place for an armpit sarcoid, which would, in my experience, be further back. It also seems to have a fly bite hole right in the middle of each of two faint circular bits about an inch apart. I'm hopeful for you that it's just an extreme reaction to fly bites.

My first port of call on that would be acyclovir cream for a couple of weeks.

Beware of messing with it with anything caustic like Newmarket cream without very supervision, if you fail to kill it it can come back very quickly with stronger growth.

Thanks. I was hoping that you'd see this post as I seem to remember you've had a fair bit of experience with sarcoids.

I'd swear it wasn't there last week, or at least not noticeably so.

I didn't notice the fly bite until I zoomed in. I've seen a similar reaction on a mare's udder before so I'm keeping everything crossed that's all it is.

My instinct is to treat gently initially so acyclovir would be a good first port of call.

ycbm

Visit site
You have 2 fly bites there side by side I think. Expand the picture and you can see two equal size perfect circles, each with a tiny hole dead centre. If it’s that recent, they could just be bites, but sarcoids start with "just a bite" from an infected fly, so to be safe I would treat with acyclovir (Zovirax cold sore cream) just in case there is any virus there. It's a known and vet approved treatment with some research behind it. It shouldn't work well in theory, but it's harmless and in practice it seems to. You can buy a copy of Zovirax from ebay much cheaper, but in your shoes I wouldn't wait.

TPO

Visit site
I would try SarcEx - I am a massive advocate after the cream got rid of two on my gelding a few years back now! My friend has also had success with the powder.

It doesn't work for everyone but it is worth a try!

I posted before that why my boy was 3 a sarcoid like thing appeared on his sheath and another on his chest. Long story short feeding and applying turmeric (to his chest only, left sheath alone) the sheath one shriveled up and has been gone ever since (get him thoroughly checked by nurse sheath cleaner!) and the one on his chest got bigger until it was a blueberry size then burst, healed and nothing since. The turmeric of course could just have been a coincidence and this was going to happen regardless.

I bought him in very poor condition and I don't know if this is relevant or not but his field bordered a field of cattle. I like cows so when I was talking to them (...) I noticed that quite a few had warts/sarcoids on their noses plus it was summer so prime fly season. I've have to check the dates on my photos but the, what I presumed to be, sarcoids didn't appear until the next Spring so again possibly totally unrelated.

Again possibly not relevant but round about age 4/5 he started becoming really sensitive to fly bites. Any bite results in big swollen lumps but touch wood nothing has ever become infected. Around that age he moved yards on his own as my other two were being PTS. So I don't know if that stress was a contributing factor although he appeared to take it in his stride. I found out later that the YO was doing stuff to him when I wasn't around so that might have been a factor too??

Anywaay getting to my point. I have just felt something similar on his underside right where the girth would like. Slightly to the right of his midline. It looks and feels a bit flatter than yours but is the same consistency (?)

I've just ordered Sarc-ex supplement and lotion. It might make no difference but it won't do any harm.

That's interesting about the acyclovir, I hadn't seen anything about it when looking into his "sarcoids" before. Would you try that before/alongside sarc ex?

I'm not anti vet but I've had two treated with Liverpool Cream before. One went as good as you could imagine and the other not. Partially due to the initial practice not applying it correctly but the horse had a very painful time of it. Given that Chip's is under the girth I don't want to cause permanent damage or pain in that area if it can be helped. He's off work just now (due to me not him) so riding isn't an issue and he always has sheepskin cinches/girths. My vets are so thorough I know they will want to take action. I applied benign neglect with the previous "sarcoids" as I really didn't want his sheath being messed with be it with lasers or what not.

Yeah sorry, brain dump of no relevance to the original topic. Sorry for hi-jacking.

ycbm

Visit site
Flour and salt paste gets rid of it. Go to the Facebook page for sarcoid cure. Amazing stuff

Sarcoids often resolve spontaneously. I'd be very surprised if clinical trials with flour and salt was shown to cure sarcoids and if this was any more than pure coincidence.

southerncomfort

Visit site
You have 2 fly bites there side by side I think. Expand the picture and you can see two equal size perfect circles, each with a tiny hole dead centre. If it’s that recent, they could just be bites, but sarcoids start with "just a bite" from an infected fly, so to be safe I would treat with acyclovir (Zovirax cold sore cream) just in case there is any virus there. It's a known and vet approved treatment with some research behind it. It shouldn't work well in theory, but it's harmless and in practice it seems to. You can buy a copy of Zovirax from ebay much cheaper, but in your shoes I wouldn't wait.

Thanks. I can see them both now I've zoomed in further!

I'll pop to the chemist in the morning for some Zovirax, and get going with it straight away.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I posted before that why my boy was 3 a sarcoid like thing appeared on his sheath and another on his chest. Long story short feeding and applying turmeric (to his chest only, left sheath alone) the sheath one shriveled up and has been gone ever since (get him thoroughly checked by nurse sheath cleaner!) and the one on his chest got bigger until it was a blueberry size then burst, healed and nothing since. The turmeric of course could just have been a coincidence and this was going to happen regardless.

I bought him in very poor condition and I don't know if this is relevant or not but his field bordered a field of cattle. I like cows so when I was talking to them (...) I noticed that quite a few had warts/sarcoids on their noses plus it was summer so prime fly season. I've have to check the dates on my photos but the, what I presumed to be, sarcoids didn't appear until the next Spring so again possibly totally unrelated.

Again possibly not relevant but round about age 4/5 he started becoming really sensitive to fly bites. Any bite results in big swollen lumps but touch wood nothing has ever become infected. Around that age he moved yards on his own as my other two were being PTS. So I don't know if that stress was a contributing factor although he appeared to take it in his stride. I found out later that the YO was doing stuff to him when I wasn't around so that might have been a factor too??

Anywaay getting to my point. I have just felt something similar on his underside right where the girth would like. Slightly to the right of his midline. It looks and feels a bit flatter than yours but is the same consistency (?)

I've just ordered Sarc-ex supplement and lotion. It might make no difference but it won't do any harm.

That's interesting about the acyclovir, I hadn't seen anything about it when looking into his "sarcoids" before. Would you try that before/alongside sarc ex?

I'm not anti vet but I've had two treated with Liverpool Cream before. One went as good as you could imagine and the other not. Partially due to the initial practice not applying it correctly but the horse had a very painful time of it. Given that Chip's is under the girth I don't want to cause permanent damage or pain in that area if it can be helped. He's off work just now (due to me not him) so riding isn't an issue and he always has sheepskin cinches/girths. My vets are so thorough I know they will want to take action. I applied benign neglect with the previous "sarcoids" as I really didn't want his sheath being messed with be it with lasers or what not.

Yeah sorry, brain dump of no relevance to the original topic. Sorry for hi-jacking.

I'm with you on Liverpool cream. I witnessed a friend's horse suffer awful pain with it, so I would much prefer to try alternatives first.

ycbm

Visit site
Check out the Facebook page. I was a skeptic but after seeing it first hand I’m not.

https://www.facebook.com/sarcoidcure/

I'll bet you saw spontaneous regression of a sarcoid as the horse's immune system kicked in. It happens all the time, in your case and others it just happened to coincide with when you put flour and salt on it.

I can't see on the Facebook page you pointed to what's in her special sarcoids cream. There are loads of things that really do work, but I'll eat my hat if flour and ordinary salt is one of them. Zinc salts or copper salts are a different matter, however ....

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I'll bet you saw spontaneous regression of a sarcoid as the horse's immune system kicked in. It happens all the time, in your case and others it just happened to coincide with when you put flour and salt on it.

I don’t think so but hey ho have a look at all the success stories for yourself.

ycbm

Visit site

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

I can't see on the Facebook page you pointed to what's in her special sarcoids cream. There are loads of things that really do work, but I'll eat my hat off for and ordinary salt is one of them. Zinc salts or copper salts are a different matter, however ....

It’s flour and salt. I’ve made it. That’s the recipe ? I’m not fussed if you don’t believe me. I didn’t believe it at first but I’ve watched it work on a few horses so I’m sure they all just weren’t naturally getting rid of sarcoid that had been there for years by themselves, so I’ll just go by what I’ve seen ?

ycbm

Visit site
I've looked at the Facebook site and I have to admit that I think there might be something in it. The pictures are identical to what happens if you treat with copper sulphate except it seems to take longer with salt. I believe it's true that very high fluoride toothpaste can work, I know copper sulphate does and Newmarket cream contains zinc as well as thuja. I think it's possible that either the sodium or the chloride in salt, or both, does work if applied often enough, and that the flour simply sticks it to the sarcoid.

If anyone is tempted to treat their own horses sarcoids please take a very good look at that site, it's not a quick or easy process, it's bloody and frightening and it takes real grit to see it through, and if you don't see it through it makes things even worse.

southerncomfort

Visit site

ycbm

Visit site
Anyone else using acyclovir on horses with a sarcoid history, you may not know that the first thing an occult sarcoid often does is to colour the hair darker in a circle. So slap it on any circles you see appearing in the horse's coat, and you could stop it developing any further. They use to be pretty obvious in my Appyx's pale coat.

Shoei

Visit site

Couple of pics:

View attachment 79609
View attachment 79610

I just used the cream without the supplement.