Think Pink supplement

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hi

I have been feeding my two horses Think Pink supplement, a scoop a day for each and they have become impossible almost to handle in two weeks. Galloping round the field, refusing to be caught, the pair of them are like nervous wrecks. :eek::eek:

They live out so one would assume they would be laid back, like they used to be but you would think they are stabled for 23 hours a day the way they are behaving.

The only thing I have changed is this so am assuming this is the problem. Has anyone else had any experiences on this? Also, the seasons are changing so this may be contributing, but I have never had a problem before.

HELP! victoria:confused:

foxtrotter

Visit site
I tried my horse on pink powders as recommended by my vet, as the horse had spasmodic liquid droppings! UGH. He was also a nervy type who was in need of some calming. The powders had no effect on his liquid poo episodes and he become nuttier than ever, so having discussed it with others who said that it seemed to produce nutty behaviour in their horses, I stopped feeding it. His behaviour then became slightly less erratic. and the liquid poo episodes remained the same. ????????????????

HBBambee

Visit site
It says in the description that it contains a high concentration of linseed oil.
Linseed oil being almost 35% protein.
So...extra proteins in the horse are being broken down to form carbohydrates and these are then used as a source of energy = lots more vavavoom.
So this could be why your horses seem to be wild.
This is just my thoughts anyway.
Try taking them off the supplement for 10 days and see what happens.
I keep my tb mare well away from extra proteins as they send her loppdaloop.not fun at times.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Protein does NOT break down into carbohydrates. However it may well be that the pink powder does have something in that does not do your horse any good, try eliminating from the diet and see what happens.

HBBambee

Visit site
If the body if lacking in energy rich food then it can break down the protein (from diet) into organic acid (through deamination) and this is converted into glucose (a carbohydrate) which can then be used for obtaining energy.

Lollii

Visit site
Is 'Think Pink Powder' the same as 'Naf Pink Powder'?

I use the Naf PP and never had a problem, in fact the opposite, it has calmed a nervous, twitchy horse down into a lovely calm, fantastic looking beast!! :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you for all of your comments, I used to use NAF Pink powder and never had a problem but switched to this as it is half the price and have a massive tub of it now that is no use to me. If anyone wants to buy it from me at a discounted price let me know! I am in Essex. I threw their feeds away last night and made up some more so no more Think Pink for them:)

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
It says in the description that it contains a high concentration of linseed oil.
Linseed oil being almost 35% protein.
So...extra proteins in the horse are being broken down to form carbohydrates and these are then used as a source of energy = lots more vavavoom.
So this could be why your horses seem to be wild.
This is just my thoughts anyway.
Try taking them off the supplement for 10 days and see what happens.
I keep my tb mare well away from extra proteins as they send her loppdaloop.not fun at times.

Wrong so wrong! Protein will not break down into a carbohydrate, apart from that protein does not cause a horse to become over excited. Aside from all of that, oil (in any form) is a slow release energy anyway and very very very unlikely to cause temperament issues. The other point to consider is that the inclusion in a measure of a powder supplement is miniscule, so yes, oil is high in protein, but the amount in a tiny scoop of supplement aint going to do diddly squat!

Poor old protein, I thought the days of blaming it for everything were well gone - seems not!

OP it sometimes happens that when a horse has been deficient in some vits/mins, once fed them they just feel well and this could be the cause, I would indeed stop the supplementation for 10 or so days to see if the powder was the cause.