*Think* we've found the problem !

Rambo

Visit site
Well, as you know Bo has been a bit up and down of late. Certainly not performing to his usual levels of consistency, and throwing is toys (and rider) out of the pram on more than one occasion recently.

Well, we went to Pyecombe BSJA on thursday...sort of a make or break show for us. If it still wasn't working then he'd have a break and we'd get the vet out to see him and give him the once over
crazy.gif

Anyway, we jumped the 1.05m in the grass arena and he was 'okay'. Still not entriely happy, but he jumped round in a reasonable rhythm, but rolled two poles. He rarely if ever has a pole
frown.gif
So, I took it as progress as he although he felt a little flat, he had seemed happy enough in himself and shown no signs of napping / rearing or generally twatting about
tongue.gif

We were entered for the 1m Derby after that. It was about a 4 hour wait for that class so he went back on the lorry and we spent a good few hours watching some gorgeous young horses in the 4 & 5yo style and performance qualifiers
shocked.gif

The 1m Derby finally arrived, and we started warming up for it. He seemed to be going okay, and I was just having my last jump over an oxer when I felt him just slightly back off the fence. I decided to come again as I wasn't happy to finish on that note, and as we came to take off, he just never left the ground
shocked.gif
He crashed through the fence, and I went over the handlebars...both of us ending up in a heap on the other side
frown.gif
Bo was favouring his NSF when he got up, but after a few minutes of checking him over, we got him to put some weight on it, and we limped off back to the lorry to nurse our wounds.

We got the vet out next day, and after a throrough check up, it turns out he has 4 bruised soles, a new splint forming on his NSF, and was extremely sore from his fall the day before
frown.gif
Poor chap. The vet also took bloods so we'll see if there's anything else going on that we don't know about...

So, he's on a weeks box rest with 2 sachets of bute a day, and the vet is coming back on wednesday to check him over again. He seemed much brighter yesterday and enjoyed a long pampering session and some carrots, so fingers crossed we've got to the bottom of the underlying problem and can now do something to get him well again
smile.gif

A word of warning to everyone...the vet said he has never seen so many cases like this in a year as a result of the exceptionally hot and dry conditions. I'm always ultra-careful about where I ride and how, and certainly don't overjump on hard ground, but still we have been caught out so just watch what you do on this ground
shocked.gif

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Poor you. Fingers crosses that things work out. Think my boy is feeling the hard ground too much as he's not his usual flowing self, and certainly a bit flat (he'll normally jump the moon!). I'm giving him a bit of time off and some R&R and TLC and hopefully he'll be back to his normal cheeky self by the end of the month (and it might even have rained by then too!).

Hope things go okay
smirk.gif

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Poor Bo, at least you've found the cause of it now. fingers x nothing comes back on the bloods. I'm sticking to decent surfaces now after our fall on hard ground the other sunday! Hope you both feel better soon x

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
So glad for you that you have found the problem - it all becomes so much clearer and not just him saying that he was not enjoying himself.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Sorry to hear Bo is poorly - but you must be relieved to know that there was a problem and he wasn't saying no for no reason. The ground here is like absolute concrete - I know - I fell off on it last week and have my arm in a sling to prove it!!

Glad it's nothing serious - some rest, some rain and probably a few more carrots and he will be raring to go again
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Thanks for all your messages of support
smile.gif
The vet is back tomorrow so hopefully he'll be getting the all-clear then, but we'll just be pottering about the woods 2 or 3 times a week till the end of August regardless now. Then, if the ground has softened up a bit in September we might venture out again. I think we might be making a few visits to Towerlands next summer though...i'm done with jumping on grass now unless the going is better than perfect
shocked.gif

susan_w

Visit site
Fingers crossed then Rambo - it'll be a relief to know what the problem is - you've suspected a problem for a while - it's not good, but better to know so that you can deal with it. Just keep the pampering up, and give him some rest and it'll all be good.

We were going to Pyecombe, as we go every year, but Megs broke her elbow two weeks ago, so is well out of action! Who won the 4&5 year olds, do you remember? Website is rubbish, and doesn't have any results (or the schedules for that matter)

Rambo

Visit site
Thanks Susan....Yes it is a relief to finally know what's wrong, but also a slight feeling of guilt at not picking it up sooner
frown.gif
Still, we have learned from this and will move forward now
smile.gif

I had heard about Megan's incident....sorry to hear about it...she must be gutted at missing Scope
frown.gif

The 4yo class was run as all DC's sharing 1st place. I can't remember if the 5yo's went against the clock or not tbh...and I didn't see the end of it. I know Will F had 2 of his jump DC though...one ridden by him, the other by Pippa.

The Pyecombe website is terrible at the moment, but is due to be upgraded soon. Have you seen the new Area 46 site ? http://www.bsja-area46.co.uk

The same people did the Golden Cross site, and are due to do Pyecombe's apparently
smile.gif