Thinking about the future... schoolmaster, how to find?

soloequestrian

Visit site
In the next few years, I'd like to take on an older schoolmaster, preferably a dressage horse but possibly an eventer. I would be looking to gain experience of riding a horse that can do the more advanced movements in exchange for providing an excellent retirement home. I wouldn't be looking to compete the horse - I have a youngster coming through who hopefully will be doing that. Where would I look for such a horse?
Thanks in advance!

smja

Visit site
Put the word out through people like your instructor, they often know of horses looking to step down/take some pressure off - e.g. eventer about to start it's last 'proper' season/dressage horse going for a last nationals campaign.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks - so word of mouth really? I wondered if they maybe get advertised on the society websites sometimes? Or if even at retirement point they are still worth quite a lot? I'm quite out of any 'scene' - north of Scotland and don't have an instructor with connections.

be positive

Visit site
I think your location may be a sticking point for some people as to gift or loan a good schoolmaster to someone unknown to them most people would at least want to be within a reasonable distance or have a very good reason to let you have it, connections to trainer being one, a sound but aging horse of a high standard will still usually have a value as a schoolmaster for a young rider, often someone training with the owner/ rider, it is the unsound or tricky rides that will be harder to place so beware when you do start looking, a "gift horse" still needs to be fit for purpose otherwise it can be a very expensive option that may end up fully retired sooner rather than later.

I think you will probably need to be proactive and put in a wanted ad, somewhere like Horsequest and the BD/ BE sites would be most suitable for what you want, when you are ready to seriously look, be prepared to travel, to wait and possibly to pay for one that is still sound, is sane and will enable you to enjoy riding for some time, a loan may be available but you may take longer to find one.

Pigeon

Visit site
The older dressage schoolmasters seem to hold their value well, even if they're at the stage where they're no longer competitive. If they're sound enough to ride, they're sound enough to teach a BYRDS rider the ropes or be used in a lesson programme. You might be lucky, but I have to say I doubt you'll find one for free unless it's through a friend. I agree that the first step is let your trainer know you will be looking.

Chocy

Visit site
If you want to PM me I have a friend about to advertise her horse who may well suit you. Also in Scotland