Thinking of getting a Highland pony? pros/cons

staceyn

Visit site
Thinking about getting another pony to add to our family
I have only started looking at the highlands

Would like to know what they are like temperment ect...
What should i look for in a highland?
Any tips really

Are they any good for disabled riders? quiet ect

touchstone

Visit site
They usually have excellent temperaments, but it's best to always judge the individual rather than the breed.

Pros:- Easy to keep, hardy, require little additional feed. Generally quiet. Can turn their hoof to anything. Will be able to show if registered. Good size for getting under low branches and easy to get on.

Cons:- Will probably require grazing restricted and may be prone to laminitis.
Can be strong.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I took one to Pony Club camp a million years ago and he was an absolute hoot and a darling :D

Had the best time ever with him :D. He jumped, galloped, and flicked his toes, all at roughly the right times :D :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
As a breed yes they are generally good. Their temperaments are generally great. They can be very stubborn tho.

Obviously each pony needs looked at as an individual. I would go for the lighter island type rather than the garron type (deer pony) heavy ones.

Dryrot on here has them.

measles

Visit site
They are super, generally very robust ponies with good temperaments. We have a field of them who have been liveries for the last 20 years and I don't think they have seen a vet aside from vaccinations in that time.

Personally I prefer connemaras as they have good temperaments but can be just a bit more althetic - a generalisation I know. We've recently bought some to produce and they are so adaptable and kind natured.

Best of luck with your new ponyif you decide to go for it :)

honetpot

Visit site
Expensive to buy, a good one will cost £3000+, but very cheap to keep.
Will destroy anything that they can lean on or push as for their size they are much stronger than a horse.
Have a generally a placid temprement but you have to con them to do things they do not like, you can not make a Highland do anything and they can be very subbourn.
Can carry 14st dead weight so the right pony will do the whole family and it you don't let them get too fat they do jump and they can do dressage.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Pros:

562750_541215605217_2019993279_n.jpg

246887_541388074587_957622808_n.jpg

527108_540681660247_1723171583_n.jpg

557811_539999272757_1660510599_n.jpg

154587_537273106017_443720030_n.jpg

581174_538711618227_1438217818_n.jpg

There aren't any cons :cool:

dunthing

Visit site
The most adaptable breed, cheap to feed, no extra feeds needed but they can get fat on a concrete yard. They are NOT easy to confine in a small field. Mine have all walked straight through electric fences and pushed post and rail down too. They don't know how strong they are. They can, if not disciplined early, be very bargy. The ones that I've had were very easy to break in, no bolting, panicking or traffic problems. They mature fairly late but are incredibly hardy. Mine only ever had rugs when it was very cold and wet. In dry, cold weather mine always preferred to be out and would sleep in snowdrifts rather than go into the barn. They are very kind and seem to know when they need to look after their rider and when they can be disgraceful. My big chap was 15.1 and could do handstand bucks but my daughter said that it was only because I laughed when he did them. If I had the land now, I would have more highlands. Good luck, you won't regret your choice.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh JFTD, the pictures speak a thousand words. Higlands have a great sense of fun and they are the only breed I would consider. Yours are gorgeous.

Thanks, I wouldn't change them for the world - I'd rather a highland than anything else on earth! But I am very, very biased :eek:

staceyn

Visit site
Wow They look perfect! and sound it,

Basically i was looking for a comparison to the fell ponies i already have a fell yearling so know what they are like well mine either spooks or when not spooking is half asleep lol!,

With regards to fencing for them how the heck will i keep one in lol?
I have electric fencing so should i re do the whole field post and rail with electric on top :D before i buy one?

I need a stocky one to carry the mister and family will be buying another youngster but more of the age of 2yo upwards

Dont have a large amount of land have approx 21/2 acres 2 stables but building another sharing with a fell and mini cant see space being a problem i have known horses on a lot less.

So what fencing? and can anyone recomend a good breeder/stud lancashire area i have spoken to valerock not sure of any others? MANY THANKS:D:D:D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have electric fencing and never had a problem (well my 2 year old jumps out, but easily solved by a second internal line of electric tape to make it too wide for him!). I have electric rope as external fencing, and use tape for sectioning off. The only time mine has gone through it is when I tried to pen him on a stable sized patch (he was on box rest). I've also kept F in post and rail with no issues.

As for breeders, I'd recommend being prepared to travel. I personally would head up to Morrich highland ponies near Inverness, for a selection of well bred, well trained, good quality youngstock.

eta, thanks, they're a daft pair :eek:

quirky

Visit site
I have electric fencing and never had a problem

I moved yards because a flipping Highland kept going through the fencing and taking my mare with him :mad:.

I'm sure that was nothing to do with him being a Highland, just a pain in the butt :D.

All the Highland's I have come across have been lovely things. Biddable, cheeky, weight carriers who have a definite sense of humour and much patience :)

simplyhunting

Visit site
Brilliant Ponies! Tough, easy to keep- cheap as good doers! Go anywhere, do anything type of pony.

Currently producing one for sale for an owner, Genuine little sort, they make good weight carriers, had even done RDA previously! Just needed a little fine-tuning as he hasn't been schooled for years and they want him back to showing standards again just in case anyone wants him for that rather than a general happy-hacker type. First time I'd ever sat on one and can say, despite being a damn site slower than my usual tb's he's a sweetie to do!

AengusOg

Visit site
Basically i was looking for a comparison to the fell ponies i already have a fell yearling

Highland ponies are quite different to Fell ponies. Many Highland ponies don't have the action of the Fell in the hocks, and some have stifle problems as a result of poor conformation, so choose your pony carefully. There are differences in the types, quality, and suitability for various 'jobs' throughout the various studs, so you may do well to see as many as you can before buying. Most stud owners will make time for arranged visits.

Good Highlands can be great ponies, though, if they are worked regularly and kept fit. I work on a stud where some of the ponies are ridden or driven most days, and they are active, willing, and easy to do, but that is because their minds and bodies are kept well occupied. Their owner understands their nutritional and management needs, having kept and bred them for many years.

They are stoical in nature, and thrive on routine and plenty of stimulation. Sure of foot and up to carrying a bit of weight, they can hold their own in just about any competitive company.

I don't keep Highlands, but I do have a Fell pony colt.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I moved yards because a flipping Highland kept going through the fencing and taking my mare with him :mad:.

I'm sure that was nothing to do with him being a Highland, just a pain in the butt :D.

I used to livery with a Welsh youngster that did that and spent most of its time in my field :mad: It was a right knobber. Mind you, it was practically dumped in the field and never did anything (no basic handling, walkies etc) so I reckon it would've been 100x better with a half way decent owner.

Kallibear

Visit site
Can't move for them round here! We have the very very good (HOYS quality) to the very very bad (the reason highlands get a bad name!)

The fact they are VERY easy to keep is usually a con: they cannot be kept with 'normal horses' without muzzling as they are REALLY good doers. Keeping them slim is a constant challange: think shetland pony style good-doers: welsh and other natives don't even come close! :eek:

I've been highland pony shopping recently with a friend and seen all types. There is a big difference between the real 'show quality' and the 'happy hackers', both in temperament and conformation quality.

The good show horses are buzzy, very forwards, active and often far too bright for their own good. They have a good shoulder, well set neck and light in front. They are POWERFUL!, find canter easy and very go-ey to ride. They always have a nice sensible unflabble nature though and would still be suitable for a disabled rider, although poss a bit too forwards

The 'happy hacker' types are quiet, placcid, bombproof and unflappable . However they generally don't have the lightness or fizz to do more than very low level RC as they are too heavy/low set through the neck and shoulder and heavy, on the forehand and earthbound to ride. The worse one here can bearly get himself off the ground enough to get over a 1tf X-pole :eek:. If you want to do a lot of ridden stuff then you need to get a more athletic type. Take carefuly note of their balance and neck-set when buying.

As Angusog said, over-straight hocks and therefore slipping patella can be an issue in some lines (good show quality lines too!). It's not wide spread though.

With incorrect handling (often because larger, novice, middle -ged nervous ladies who treat them like a fluffy kitten :rolleyes: ) they can be stubborn, bulshy brats. With firm handling they're stoic, unflapable, polite and easy horses.

They are FAR bigger than you expect. 14.2hh doesn't sounds much but 14.2 of highland pony is a LOT of horse : a full-height 14.2 highland will easily over-horse a smaller lady rider!

They are also VERY expensive compared to similar sized horses for a similar schooling! You'll pay £2500-£3000 for a good show-quality unbroken 3-4 yr old, which is ridiculous when you can get a really nice, well-bred big Irish draught, broken and hunted, for that price! And most of the top quality ones are sold as yeanlings/yearlings and not sold on again. There are very few broken 5-8yr olds avalible and the ones there are are either stupidly expensive or of poorer 'hacking' quality. Expect to pay a lot of money for a good highland!\

The biggest pro (certainly up here in scotland) is there are SOOOO many class and events you can do with them simply because they're a highland! ;) Every single show here have specific highland pony classes and there are loads of 'highland pony only' rides and events. A bit of a bugger when you have (like me) cobs ;)

ETA = yep, highlands, esp as babies, are PITA's about going through fences! You need GOOD electric fencing to keep them in. They're not called Hippo's for no reason ;).......

staceyn

Visit site
Oh these posts have made me laugh ! Well before I get one I will be redoing the fencing its due to be done now so wooden posts thick wire mesh and two top rows of electric try get out of that hippo ! , I am lookin for one that has local , county show potential with good looks reasonable bloodlines, love the greys, temperment wise just something quiet I don't mind but OH is a novice rider so would like something reasonably calm. I know there are two studs near me will be going to look at valerock at the weekend just to get a better idea and see if they would be good for the job. Are there any other small quiet weight carriers that I should consider ?

Kallibear

Visit site
All highland ponys are 'well bred' with 'good bloodlines'. They're still a rare breed and there's not a huge number of stallions about. Pretty much every one has won this that or the other at some point!

If you want to show at county level expect to pay a premium for something broken : there was one on horsequest the other day going for £12 500!!! :eek: VERY VERY few people sell county level borken highland ponies. It's hard enough trying to buy an 'average' broken highland pony! The older ones left at studs are usually because they're not the quality those into showing want.

Everyone I know buys as a youngster and has it broken in. You can't go far wrong with a highland and most newly broken highlands (even buzzy comp types) are suitable for a novice to have a toddle about on.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmm, am probably not qualified to say coz have never had one.

BUT - don't know OP's riding ability, I'm always a bit cagey about big strong native types being used as riding types UNLESS they're given plenty of work, for two reasons: (1) laminitis (obvious one) and (2) behavioural issues.

These ponies are built like Goliath and are meant to be worked, and worked blimmin hard, all day, and if they're not given plenty of work, are like all native ponies in that they can and will develop into problem rides. Also with bigger breeds like the Highland and some of the more heavily built Welsh Cobs, you have to bear in mind that if you DO have a problem they can use their strength against you and will be very heavy in the hand.

But this is just my personal opinion.

I've got a little Welsh D mare who's very "light" in type and is lovely (but not a novice ride); also have had a Welsh/Connie X as my first pony and he was lovely, so can recommend these types/crosses.

IF you're set on a Highland - then go for it!!!

Girlychu

Visit site
Hi.
I've just bought a 6 year old hippo and shes black! She can be obstinate, argumentative, bolshy, a real madam. On the other hand she's sweet, loving, looks after me and so easy to look after. She is built like a tank :rolleyes:

When I bought her, her owner (an older lady with an ancestoral pile) said she has "impecable breeding". Her asking price was £3,500.

She had been broken at 5 and done very little. Since I've had her - 12 weeks approx - we have done a wee dressage walk and trot test, hacked out and she's done a few wee jumps.

I need to use a lot of leg but after being used to having a horse that was forward going and then me losing my confidence she's just what I need. She is the exact opposite to my boy I had for 7 years.

I didn't go out looking for a hippo and in a way she choose me. Would I change anything about her - no. Quite simply I love her :)

She respects electric fencing, is on a starvation paddock and receives no feed or ad lib hay.

I would say go for it :D

Dry Rot

Visit site
Nothing much I can add to the above. I've never had a problem with fencing possibly because my fences are high tensile mains electric with white tape cable tied on for visability! With up to 5,000 volts going through them, they only try once!:D

My first couple of seasons the mares were sent away to the stallion. Then I got my own -- and soon discovered the first had been firing blanks! So foals arrived during the worst winter for years. That didn't bother them a bit, they just grew extra long coats and looked like little fur balls and hardly used the wood for shelter!

Yes, be careful about lines, especially what they are bred for. I prefer the athletic/performance types as I am not interested in shows unless one of the girls is keen. So far, I haven't encountered any health issues, including weight related. My stallion seems particular easy going as regards grazing. Yes, I keep an eye on him but he's a slim type anyway and can safely be left on good grazing and he'll manage his own weight. So far his progeny have been the same and I've had no neurotic eaters! Highlands, as a whole, have a very good health record and live useful long lives.

I'm afraid I can't discuss conformation but, having been around stock all my life, I know what I like, both in terms of looks and temperament. I do think that showing is not always a good thing for a breed. My ponies give me a lot of fun but I also take breeding very seriously.

As jftd has said, don't be afraid to travel to view. Transport is cheaper than you'd think and prices are lower in Scotland. We've a beautiful country up here with hospitable people and it's worth a holiday. But do plan ahead. We tend to have to do everything ourselves and that means spontaneous visits may not be convenient. I've heard complaints that Highland pony breeders don't answer emails or the telephone and I think that might be the reason.

How's this for laid back?

[youtube]llLgWst3UlQ[/youtube]

staceyn

Visit site
This is brilliant great video !, to be honest I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to shows lol never shown any of mine but would like to do 4-5 local shows a year just as a day out really . It will be sharing 2acres with a fell and mini so prob won't get fat the grass is rubbish too, would just have hay at night . Would be worked minimum every other day for at least 45min a time and would possibly get a sharer to work it some more as I can't ride too much due to health . I will have a look at the studs in Scotland too make a weekend trip out of it now I am very excited and want one even more after all the comments :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Mmm, am probably not qualified to say coz have never had one.

BUT - don't know OP's riding ability, I'm always a bit cagey about big strong native types being used as riding types UNLESS they're given plenty of work, for two reasons: (1) laminitis (obvious one) and (2) behavioural issues.

These ponies are built like Goliath and are meant to be worked, and worked blimmin hard, all day, and if they're not given plenty of work, are like all native ponies in that they can and will develop into problem rides. Also with bigger breeds like the Highland and some of the more heavily built Welsh Cobs, you have to bear in mind that if you DO have a problem they can use their strength against you and will be very heavy in the hand.

But this is just my personal opinion.

I've got a little Welsh D mare who's very "light" in type and is lovely (but not a novice ride); also have had a Welsh/Connie X as my first pony and he was lovely, so can recommend these types/crosses.

I'd say this was untrue of highland ponies. Most can be dragged out the field after 6weeks and behave as always. You need to be firm on the GROUND but they are very tolerant of novice riders. They are also usually NOT strong to ride although the badly built one can be on the forehand to ride.

They are a world away from welshy in temperament!

Op- there are some good stud up here but, having just been round most of them recently, very few have broken highlands for sale at the moment. There were some very nice unbroken 4yrs olds though, and for not much more money they could be sent off for proffersional backing and schooling (which is what my friend is doing)

dunthing

Visit site
Agree with lots of comments on here. I have always had youngsters and you have to be strict with manners when you know how beefy they're going to be. I have never had any problems with mine, all of which were show quality and very forward going. My sister has an old Whitefield mare who was never broken or schooled properly and she was a nightmare to ride. Never good in traffic and very lazy. My last gelding, who I lost in 2011 was supposed to be 14.2 but carried on growing to 15.1. Fantastic bloodlines and he would have been county standard but ended up as a very happy hacker who would go anywhere and tackle anything. He had manners to die for, my three year old grandaughter fell underneath him once. He stood holding his leg up until she could be rescued. When I rode him, he would behave like a stallion, snorting, cantering on the spot and then gallop like the wind when I let him go. He had a great sense of humour and would play hide and seek, walk off with tools when we were trying to fence fields, try to lift the bonnet of the truck to see what was inside. I have so many wonderful memories of all of them but my big boy was the very best. HiPpos, natures quad bike!!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'd say this was untrue of highland ponies. Most can be dragged out the field after 6weeks and behave as always. You need to be firm on the GROUND but they are very tolerant of novice riders. They are also usually NOT strong to ride although the badly built one can be on the forehand to ride.

They are a world away from welshy in temperament!

Op- there are some good stud up here but, having just been round most of them recently, very few have broken highlands for sale at the moment. There were some very nice unbroken 4yrs olds though, and for not much more money they could be sent off for proffersional backing and schooling (which is what my friend is doing)

"Most can be dragged out of the field after 6 weeks..." Or more?

I had an accident with the trailer with two mares on board. No one was hurt and the ponies were off loaded into a nearby field. One would not load again so both were ridden along the verge of a busy "A" road to the stud, about six miles. Neither had been ridden for several years, yet they behaved perfectly.

I sold another mare to a girl who insisted on taking her hacking although she was told she had not been ridden for four years. The pony reared when she met a very large tractor and was only then put with someone experienced who gave her some schooling. The mare is now on loan to a 12 year old girl, is hacked out regularly, and pops a jump. This all happened within the last ten months. I used to milk this mare out in the field without bothering to tie her, she was so quiet. You couldn't do that with many cows! (She's a pure Whitefield, BTW).

My stallion is taken out from his mares, tidied up, and taken to a show where everyone thinks he is a gelding. He is ridden by young kids and adults alike, it makes no difference to him.

I recently sold a mare advertised as green. She was tried by two mums and two kids aged 8 and 10. The second mum fell in love and bought her. These were the only enquirers who came to view. I think someone missed a bargain!

Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't experienced the problems mentioned. I am 72 and don't ride but manage all the ponies quite well without help, including the youngsters. I wouldn't say they are difficult at all, but maybe I've been lucky. They all come to call and are handled daily, ponies off the hill could be different. I stopped to admire some ponies on the hill the other day. One whistle and they were off like stags!:D