Thinking of moving to PE rugs - where do I start?

Stenners

Visit site
I currently use the Horseware Amigo but have a few friends that swear by PE and I'm thinking of changing them (at some point gradually!)
I know the different types of HW quite well but I have no idea where to start with PE!

I'm thinking of something like a 100g with neck that I can add liners too? What type would you all recommend? Pony is a 14.2 connie type.

LegOn

Visit site
I found PE rugs insanely heavy compared to Horseware so something to consider but yeah starting with a no fill or 50/100 gram rug and then adding your liners and hoods etc is a good start!

Peglo

Visit site
My TB hated her PE rug. It was so heavy. I’ve not bought one in ages since the price went up so much but my old haffie has been wearing her old half neck 200g now it’s fixed and I actually quite like it again. But a front clasp has just broken but still useable if you clip in on. Quite a few of the front clips have pulled out the holder (if that makes sense) but the clips are good quality and just I clip the front together.

hock

Visit site
PE rugs are heavy and all mine are 6’9+ however I have rugs that’s are 5+ years old easily and still going strong (they look like new when washed). The denier varies now but it was always 1680 denier and I believe this is why they’ve lasted so long. I originally switched to PE because I had a rug trasher and everyone else was doing 600d or 1000d at the most and they lasted days. So yes they are heavy but the fit is super and they’re deep and actually if the rugs wet it stays on the horse anyway. I am annoyed they don’t do the great sales they used to though or the discount, it has definitely slowed down my accumulation of them. I do like Rambo too but I don’t think they last as long and I do have trashed ones that have had to be binned. I really love Rambo for their fleeces and travel rugs etc.

Stenners

Visit site
I will just echo what others say. Stick with Horseware and if you need to upgrade from Amigo go to the Rhino with liners instead
This is food for thought! So I could use my HW liners I currently have and just get a Rhino outer? To be fair there isn't really anything wrong with my Amigo - ive had it for about 8 years!! I am looking to get a 50g for the enxt coupel of weeks with the weather change (again can't decide what to get from Shires, Weatherbeeta amigo etc!)

ihatework

Visit site
Start by clicking ‘back’ on the premier equine website.
The turnouts are big heavy horrible rugs!
If you want to upgrade, then upgrade from amigo to rhino/Rambo

nutjob

Visit site
I used to love PE rugs, the quality of the fastenings, the innovative features like the elastic neck, the funky colours but having got one which the rain just went straight through on the first day of use I wouldn't get one again. Getting your money back from the dreadful PE customer services is also a problem and this rug was clearly brand new, undamaged, unwashed and well within their guarantee period.

Visit site
I weighed one of the older style 450g PE full neck turnout rugs, 6ft3" that had been out in a normal rain, not torrential nor light but your normal rainy day. It was out for 3 hours in total. Came in weighing just shy of 4st.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
ditto everyone else ... we sold our PE rugs as they were ridiculously heavy and as soon as we'd got a Rambo turnout with liners the PE rugs never got used again. Sold them for a really good price secondhand though so it wasn't all bad!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
PE rugs are heavy and all mine are 6’9+ however I have rugs that’s are 5+ years old easily and still going strong (they look like new when washed).

... edit...

I do like Rambo too but I don’t think they last as long and I do have trashed ones that have had to be binned. I really love Rambo for their fleeces and travel rugs etc.

To be fair my chestnut mare has always been gentle on her rugs, but her 2006 Rambo Duo and the liners are still in good nick with just one front clip replaced over that time.

I have been disappointed with my most recent Rhino as the stitching on the straps has failed with only a handful of wears. I must get them sewn back on. The more recent Rambos and Amigos (1200d and one 900d) have not had this issue.

flying_high

Visit site
I sold mine 5 or so years ago for being too heavy. But the newer ones I have seen on the yard seem lighter and less heavy, but I havent actually bought one.

Peglo

Visit site
I’m sad their customer service has gotten bad. I sent them a message to advise they put more stitching in their hood fasteners as the stitching had all come undone after a couple of wears. They sent out a brand new one just with my message that I thought they needed new stitching.

flying_high

Visit site
I’m sad their customer service has gotten bad. I sent them a message to advise they put more stitching in their hood fasteners as the stitching had all come undone after a couple of wears. They sent out a brand new one just with my message that I thought they needed new stitching.

I had a number of incidents of very good customer service, 5 years or more ago, but I think some people took advantage, and they got much stricter, meaning genuine complaints also didnt get fair treatment.

I dont think any customer service of any company is amazing now, I had no joy with Ariat with two pairs of boots that wore out in six months (I couldnt prove the care I had taken with the boots, and they werent interested). It took a huge amount of social media escalation to get my new leaking Rambo rug dealt with.

Annagain

Visit site
I really like PE rugs. Yes they're a bit heavy but not unbearable and they really seem to last. Archie's oldest one has to be ten years old by now and is still in really good nick (Charlie's wearing it now). Even his no fill is still waterproof after about 8 years. They're really good on chunky horses as they're nice and deep so they come far enough down their sides rather than looking like a mini skirt. Archie was a bit heavy on his rugs and although he did put the odd tear in them, they were always small and never got any worse.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I must be the odd one out here. I changed away from Horseware a couple of years back as I found the quality was really going down hill since they stopped making them in Ireland. and I changed all of them over to PE for the horses and Bucas for the donkeys.

I love the PE rugs, never had a problem with them getting too heavy when wet, do not leak at all and the fit is perfect on both of my very different shaped and size horses, they do not shift at all. They come back from my rug wash lady looking like new and still as waterproof as they day I bought them.

The pony size rugs I get from Bucas are a much better fit than even custom made donkey rugs. They fit nicely around the neck while still allowing for their more or less constant in foal bellies lol! Excellent quality too.

Quick edit to say I also changed to the PE Sweet itch rugs as the Rambo new ones fell apart within a few short weeks, in a fully electric fenced field with nothing too rub on that is just not good enough. One of the PE rugs developed a very small split in the stitching the first time on and I sent a pic to PE. They told me to keep that rug and sent me another brand new one - I call that excellent customer service.

Lamehorses

Visit site
My conny came witha premier equine rug. Horrible thing, so heavy when wet & it's only 70g, don't think I could lift it if I it had the liner in (luckily I never needed more than 70g)
Sold it after the first winter.

Mucking out - still

Visit site
I am shocked to hear these reports on PE rugs. I know a few people who use and love them and based on that always wanted one o_O
All I was going to say, was just watch the fit for your horse. We have a fairly heavy cob and an Andalusian and PE rugs were a terrible fit for both of them. Maybe that was a good thing after all :D If you are looking at alternative rugs, we love Weatherbeeta and wouldn't have anything else. I've had Horsewear in the past and liked that too though.