Thinline Flexible Filly Grazing muzzle - advice re fitting and naughty pony eating out of the side!

mustardsmum

Visit site
£75?! Someone's making a lot of money. I am absolutely amazed jealous that you have enough grass for muzzling. My fat boy hasn't been muzzled for past 2 months as grass just not growing in this heat (or maybe because the shetland gets to it before him)

Yes, but if you have a laminitic - £75 is small fry compared to the vets bills you can rack up by the time you add in xrays! I can turn mine out for the night and not worry that they will spend the night gorging on the grass. And the flexible Filly muzzle is much better than the £25 muzzles I originally looked at. Pony has had no rubbing at all with the muzzle and for one who is a bit funny about stuff around his head, he's quite happy to have it on. We have two ponies and 7 acres - we are in valley so grass is lush and far to good for ponies, one of which had a bad bout of lami a few years back. To have a thin, sound pony is definitely worth £75!

mustardsmum

Visit site
I haven't actually asked! I guess I'd better get in touch

Carlosmum it really is worth getting in touch if its not that old, mine developed a split in the grazing hole after a months use, and I had not enlarged the hole, so no idea how it could have happened. Pony is in a electric fenced area, and there is nothing he could have caught it on. As the split started to grow, I contacted Comfyhorse who I bought it from to see if this was normal wear and tear, and they said they will replace it as it shouldn't have split. I can't fault the service I have had from them, and no I don't work for Thinline or Comfyhorse!! I just really like this muzzle and can see the benefit of its design. So worth a call either to Thinline or who ever you bought it from to see if they can help :)

daydreamer

Visit site
I think mine has gone a bit yellowy.

An update for future readers. I had mine on my youngster for a few days. He is out 24/7 but I didn't want to leave it on all day so just had it on during the daytime. At first he ate out the side but then I adjusted the sides upwards and he couldn't do that so much. He did manage to get it off one day - not sure how?! I came across him in the middle of the field standing right next to it so I think he must have only just got it off?! There was a slight hole in the headpiece of the headcollar it was on.

He broke 2 slip rails in about 3 days whilst wearing it (yard have now put electric fencing going across as well as the slip rail). Not sure if he was just itchy or scratching to try and get it off. I haven't had it on him since then as here in East Anglia all the grass has shrivelled up and died due to this mini heatwave! Might have to try again if the grass comes back. I suspect it is easier if they are in for part of the time as then muzzle = grazing/turnout = good whereas with him muzzle = restriction = bad.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Shitland Shetland has also managed to keep one on, or I’ve managed to keep one on him. I think the correct head collar is key. Well fitting with a fixed lead rope ring

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've had mine on my mare for nearly a week now and I'm very impressed with it. I've cut a star shaped hole and she's happy and losing weight and the rubs caused by two days in a Greenguard are all healing.

I'm even planning to use it, with the hole cut a bit bigger, so she can be kept with my other horse together in my barn overnight in winter. I thought they would have to be split up, but I'd be happy to see her wear this all night and just have her eating slowed down a bit while the other gets what he needs.

I can see I'm going to end up with three with different size holes!

ycbm

Visit site
Shitland Shetland has also managed to keep one on, or I’ve managed to keep one on him. I think the correct head collar is key. Well fitting with a fixed lead rope ring

Fixed lead ring, lowish noseband to stop the eating out of the sides. Helps if the noseband is adjustable and can be tightened when lower on the face.

I get my OH to cut through a ring to weaken them a bit to make it safe in the field. A hacksaw would do it, slowly!

Scats I would also describe it as a game changer.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Fixed lead ring, lowish noseband to stop the eating out of the sides. Helps if the noseband is adjustable and can be tightened when lower on the face.

I get my OH to cut through a ring to weaken them a bit to make it safe in the field. A hacksaw would do it, slowly!

Scats I would also describe it as a game changer.
That’s a good tip as I’ve found far better head collars but they are not safety ones. I tell myself there’s nothing for them to get caught on but.. it’s nicer to have a breakaway point

ycbm

Visit site
Bad news this morning! I cut a 4 point star shape hole with blunt points on the arms, but three of them have begun to tear.

Good news is that superglue does a heat generating 'weld' on this material, so i have stuck the tears back together. And on the bottom I have stuck small bits cut off the end of the longest strap over the joins. It all seems really firm now.

I'm going to check it every day now I know and glue up any tiny tears before they can get any bigger. Fingers crossed!

ycbm

Visit site
Update, no type of glue is strong enough to last overnight! OH has made a round aluminium plate which he has riveted to the bottom for me.
Lesson learned, if you are going to make the hole bigger it needs to be round and not have any corners that can tear.

Bernster

Visit site
Good tip thx! Mine arrived today there said there were 2 choices of hole size but wasn’t available when I bought it so will see which one Ive got! I’ve got a field safe halter so will have a play around with the fitting at the weekend.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Update, no type of glue is strong enough to last overnight! OH has made a round aluminium plate which he has riveted to the bottom for me.
Lesson learned, if you are going to make the hole bigger it needs to be round and not have any corners that can tear.
At least it’s salvageable ?

mustardsmum

Visit site
Me too! So much so, both my ponies now have them. Finally managed to control the weight of one of mine after struggling for the last year with keeping pony in the yard on soaked hay which resulted in worsening arthritus because he wasn't moving. Now he roams freely grazing but getting much less grass. Once fitted correctly they are great :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Me too! So much so, both my ponies now have them. Finally managed to control the weight of one of mine after struggling for the last year with keeping pony in the yard on soaked hay which resulted in worsening arthritus because he wasn't moving. Now he roams freely grazing but getting much less grass. Once fitted correctly they are great :)
Agree. The fitting correctly I do find a bit awkward.
I have 3. One isn’t ever quite right but I need to just spend a bit of time in it. The other two. Well particularly one is quite literally a life saver

Boulty

Visit site
Just stumbled across this thread as I really need to sort a muzzle for fuzzball that's ok to wear for long periods & think I may have my answer ?

scats

Visit site
Sorry to bump this back up, but I was wondering how people are finding these a few months on?

Still a game changer for me. Whenever I move fields, even at the moment, my girls wear them for a few weeks and still accept them no problems and keep them on. They can eat happily and are happy having them put on whereas previous muzzles used to have them shooting to the back of the stable to try and avoid it.

One of the best purchases I’ve ever made and I’d highly recommend them.

vickie123

Visit site
I’ve just purchased the thinline for my horse. I was thinking about getting the headcollar that goes with it. Has anyone used it? it’s quite expensive but does have the slots for the ties which i was worried would rub if I used a normal field safe headcollar.

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve just purchased the thinline for my horse. I was thinking about getting the headcollar that goes with it. Has anyone used it? it’s quite expensive but does have the slots for the ties which i was worried would rub if I used a normal field safe headcollar.

I bought a Roma headcollar for it with padding over the nose and head. There’s been no rubs at all with this muzzle.

sherry90

Visit site

It is expensive and you can just adapt your own field headcollar. I use a leather head collar and bought some headcollar attachments like these: https://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk...MItfaWpuen7QIV74FQBh20vQWSEAQYAiABEgIv4vD_BwE

Daxxiemumma

Visit site
Anyone considered the Harmany Grazing Muzzle? Seems like it would be far more durable than the thin plastic with those itty bitty holes and zipties.

https://shop.harmanyequine.com/shop/laminitis-insulin-resistance/harmany-muzzles-draft-horse-size/

For what it's worth, I have one, unused in packaging as never got a chance to mould it to pony before she was PTS. Seems very substantial, can't comment on it in use mind.
It's either horse or draft sized, would have to check, but would let it go for £50 + p&p if anyone fancies it. Drop me a PM.
Did you sell it?

palo1

Visit site
My flexible Filly muzzle ripped after a couple of months - I didn't send it back as I had modified the original grazing hole. I liked it but felt that the destruction was inevitable!! I moved on to an Ultimate muzzle which my mare was absolutely fine about; no issues at all and it was much cheaper (below £40). I don't quite know why it is much better than other bucket type muzzles but it definitely seems to be.