Thinned skinned horses!

Visit site
I've just bought a Palomino horse who my vet advised as being thinned skinned on the vetting (something to do with being irritated by flys, bought a fly mask and rug = problem solved) but i have noticed that her tack is rubbing her. I have ordered an new mark todd event girth because I thought the shapelyness of it would help prevent rubbing (it hasnt arrived yet so this is TBC) but her noseband has also rubbed her red raw.

It isn't the fit, i've had horses a long time and know tight they should be. not to mention she had been looked at by 2 separate instructors at least twice before the rub appeared.

So I'm just wondering if there are any bridles that are particularly good for this sort of "thin skinned" problem. In the meantime i have some lovely sheepskin fluffies coming but I was thinking a nice new bridle would be perfect to put on my christmas list!

Thankkks!

joulsey

Visit site
Does the horse actually need a noseband for just riding at home? That would solve the solution pretty much straight away if its only the noseband on the bridle rubbing...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My ginger Jay Man is the same. He has a sheepskin numnah, with the fluff right round so it is even under the girth. The girth is a Fairfax, I wasted a lot of money trying to find something cheaper, but the Fairfax is tops IMO. For the bridle he has a padded crown, he likes the silver crown one, and at home we just take the noseband off.

He needs riding out in a fly sheet as well as being turned out in a sweet itch one, and wearing a fly sheet in the stable (he does not have sweet itch). For boots he is best with polo bandages, or none, but for XC and SJ he does wear normal boots.

Even his headcollar is padded at the crown and nose.

He is allergic to some washes.

The up side is that his coat is glorious, with a metallic sheen!

ETA - In winter there is not much problem. I think the heat and sweat when it is hot makes it a lot worse.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sheepskin covers are definitely your friend when it comes to thin skinned horses. Keep them clean too, as dried sweat can cause problems. Watch out for things like the seams on your riding boots, I once bought a new pair of Ariats and the seams rubbed my horse, so I now have some expensive Ariats that I can't ride in.

Bridle wise, mine has a Kieffer that is nicely padded (but not a crank) and has never rubbed her.

Like Red-1's horse, mine also has a metallic coat and it really is beautiful and is definitely worth all the washing of sheepskin covers. :D