Thinning a mane...

wench

Visit site
New horse needs its mane thinning to plait up. (thank god I tried at the weekend before planned show!)

Whats the best way of doing it - thinning scissors, mane comb or a mane rake?

Weezy

Visit site
Mane rake for me - just make sure you comb the mane to the opposite side before you start raking otherwise you will have a bushy mess :D After raking I pull to tidy and sorted :)

ecrozier

Visit site
I find I get loads of really short bristley bits when I thin with a rake? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

Weezy

Visit site
Maybe you are not raking high enough? I do short strokes up high, right in the mane line. TBH I have never plaited Ted up, but Porridge had a ridiculously thick middle section of mane and I raked it and plaited her for hunting OK with only minimal sticky up bits :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Mane raked used to work brilliantly on my horses thick old mane. I used it combined with pulling, and had fantastic results.

ecrozier

Visit site
That might be it - so you aren't getting cut bits further down the length of mane? Will try that another time. Can't plait my boy anyway as he has a stupid phobia type thing going on, panics completely when you try to plait.

kerilli

Visit site
tbh the only way to get a really nicely thinned mane is gradual pulling, a tiny bit a day. it can't all be done in one go because then the regrowth is all the same length.
i love tail rakes for tails but they don't do a good job with manes imho, i've tried but i end up with a bristly result that's a nightmare to plait perfectly.

Weezy

Visit site
Sometimes I drag it all the way down, but if I know I am plaiting I just do short, sharp strokes at the top so as not to break the hair - works for me! I use a medium one, if that makes any difference...

ecrozier

Visit site
Hmm yes I thin to plait - and kind of rather have a thicker tidier plait than a thinner one with bristles! Ahh well will keep working on the plaiting - can't see him ever letting me pull it tho!

Sarah2207

Visit site
I second the mane raking making the plaits messy, if the mane is really thick, I would spend about 5 mins after each ride pulling to keep it under control. Its no good trying to do it all in one go with a really thick mane!

MissSBird

Visit site
I've used the mane rake with great success to thin my connie's mane from something equivalent to a highlands to something presentable. However, I don't plait so I really couldn't comment on that.

I make sure to rake from the underside, getting in right at the roots then dragging down slowly to the tips.

Bug2007

Visit site
All old fashioned here, just use a good old mane comb.

Mind you anyone fancy doing mine as it really needs it but really can't be bothered!

Mind you xc this weekend might leave it until after that, half of it might be pulled after her first time out!!!:rolleyes:

Mildred

Visit site
I can second how dreadful Porridges mane is, I use a rake and remove at least 70% of her mane, then level it with a razor. I am a stickler for neat plaits, and as long as you rake the underside of the mane it doesn't look bristly.