Thinning rakes

JoJo_

Visit site
I've heard good things about thinning rakes and my mare's tail is getting a bit wild. I think she used to have it pulled and i've had her a year now and havent done anything with it. What size rake should I get? I think the options are fine, medium or coarse.

I cant find any good recent pics of her tail so here is a couple to give you an idea of its thickness. It wasnt that thick last year but its not thin.

15-4-09030.jpg

15-4-09025.jpg

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Hi

Just to say I have used the rakes to good effect on my boy - went for the meduim firsat then the fine for better finish.

Only thing i will say is do not use on the mane - I did after several people to old me it was as good as pulling - plus my boy tried to squish me if I dare pull it - but TBH it leaves horrible stubbly bits and is still thicker at the top than the bottom which is a nightmare to plait up!!!!!

Any way - returning to the tails then yes go for it just take your time iver several days as dont want to take of too much as your girl does not have the fullest of tails.

happy raking

x

abracadabra

Visit site
i think theyre ok too, i have a medium but like other post says a fine is better for finishing.
do a little at a time and stand back to get a good look periodically, its amazingly easy to get carried away!

also as other post, i wouldnt use them on the mane, its disasterous (sp), am trying to sort out some messes now!
and agree makes plaiting look pants...

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I use it on tails, works well, and I've used it on our youngsters mane BUT she won't be plaited, and it's done an okay job thinning it out. I only take hair from underneath, and I also flick the mane over to the wrong side and rake from the crest.