Thirsty mare

lisareno

Visit site
Hi there, Can anybody give me some advice on my very thirsty mare? Shes a 16 yo Irish TB and about 2 1/2 months ago i notice she was drinking both buckets down to the bottom in her stable over night, where as before she only drank 1/2 a bucket. I monitored it closely and eventually her thirst seemed to subside, however about a week later she came in hopping lame, her fetlock was swollen feet hot and a bounding digital pulse. Firstly i thought it was lami as she has had it before but her weight is perfect now and she was now lame on the opposite front foot (which she has always been sound on til now) Therefore i had her tested for cushings. Thankfully the test has come back negative, she is still very slightly sore but is still drinking heavily on and off. She is fed High fi light and spillers fibre cubes which is always damped and her hay always soaked - the vet sez theres nothing to worry about but id like your lots opinion!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry about the lengthy post!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My horse's liver enzymes are currently high and keep rising, she has just been in for a liver biopsy. Wheni first had the vet out just before Christmas she told me to keep an eye on her drinking levels. She has a large tub trug and normal bucket full in her stable and most mornings there is only a dribble left in the bottom. When i told the vet about this she said this is perfectly normal for a horse of her size 16.3h id. What i have started doing to moniter it closely is measure how many litres or gallons i'm putting in at night and then seeing how much she has drank. Sometimes though our haylage can be drier than others so this may make a difference? Hope this all makes sense to you?
smile.gif

Scarlett1980

Visit site
i don't know if it would help but there are some new feeds called winergy equilibrium that have been proven to help maintain hydration.

They have a unique blend of fibres that act as a reservoir in the hind gut.

Not sure if they would help but might be worth a try. They let me try a bag free when I rang them. Their number is 01908 226626 or email winergy.equilibrium@effem-equine.com

lisareno

Visit site
The cushings test she had was one where her blood was taken and frozen, as didnt want to risk her being injected with steriods if she was suffering a bout of lami. Was told by the vet that this test was the most accurate available?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My 15.3hh Cob Mare drinks 3 x Large flat sided buckets which hold about 1 & 1/2 normal buckets every night in morning there is probably about 1/2 bucket left in total which means she is drinking about 4 normal (3 gal) buckets per night - No wonder her bedding gets sooo wet. She gets dry hay though and vet didn't seem to think this was excessive.

Salcey

Visit site
I'm so pleased to hear that piebaldsparkle , I thought it was just my 15.3 cob mare that drank a lot, she manages to get through 1/2 a dustbin a night and she has wet hay. Vet says it is nothing to worry about but God her bed is horrible

parsley

Visit site
I'm glad you started this post - my 16.2 gelding has started drinking between 5 and 6 buckets full a night - he is at the vets for a while for another issue but the receptionist was going to raise it with the vet so I will let you know what he said.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Don't get me started on the state of mines bed, I sure whatever she drinks doubles in volume before it comes out the other end!!
frown.gif
smile.gif